Sundin done?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

stevethiessen
MVP
MVP

Post by stevethiessen »

Badfish wrote:... I'm really trying not to get my hopes up, but I think it's a bit late for that...
Oh yeah... I'm looooong gone. doesn't help either.This little item doesn't help either.

Wishful thinking on behalf of a canucks fan webmaster at river city? No such bobblehead exists under the Habs section... Maybe everyone knows something but us?

Now all I need is the Sundin, Canucks 13 t-shirt to accidentally get posted on NHLshop...
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

Yeah... I've tried so hard to not get my hopes up, but I know that if Sundin signs somewhere else I'll be crushed. We'd have the strongest team in 5 years if he signs here IMO.
randymeeks
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by randymeeks »

this is NOT the best canuck team we have had on paper. not by a long shot. what makes this maybe in some peoples eyes the best team ever is Luongo and some false hope.

but is it false with Luongo?

I don't think it is so false for two simple reasons. Even though we can make a point that this won't be our most skilled team, we will be strong as all hell at the strongest position with Luongo, and we will have a legit, big centre anchoring our team. We may not have the best Canuck team of all time here. But we will be stronger up the middle than ever before between Sundin and Luongo. Don't underestimate how important it is to be strong up the middle.
38 years without a Stanley Cup and counting.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

randymeeks wrote:
this is NOT the best canuck team we have had on paper. not by a long shot. what makes this maybe in some peoples eyes the best team ever is Luongo and some false hope.

I don't think it is so false for two simple reasons. Even though we can make a point that this won't be our most skilled team, we will be strong as all hell at the strongest position with Luongo, and we will have a legit, big centre anchoring our team. We may not have the best Canuck team of all time here. But we will be stronger up the middle than ever before between Sundin and Luongo. Don't underestimate how important it is to be strong up the middle.
Man - can you imagine if...

A) We got Sundin
B) One of our young guys REALLY elevated his game (i.e. Edler, Grabner, etc.) to a completely different level. :shock:

Back to the discussion - Although I highly doubt that the Canucks will do this, the Canucks, theoretically, could decide to have Sundin, Demitra, H.Sedin, and Kesler all centering different lines. Talk about depth at center! It would remind me a little of the Red Wings from a decade ago when they had Yzerman, Fedorov, and Larionov.

(just for the record - I don't recommend that the Canucks do this...I'd rather have Sundin/Demitra on our 1A line, while Sedin-Sedin-Bernier would be our 1B).

As far as this team being our most TALENTED team of all-time (with Sundin), I would have to disagree. Our 02/03 team was probably our most talented team ever assembled.

Having said that - I think this team (with Sundin) would be our most BALANCED line-up of all-time. If this team had Mats Sundin, I don't think I'd see any glaring 'red flags' on this team like I've seen with the other ones. The Canucks, on paper, would have the leadership, grit, defense, goaltending, offense, special teams, and speed. With Sundin in our line-up, I think the Canucks would have a very good chance of progressing beyond the 2nd round.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Grizzly wrote:
I just hope Gillis doesn't pull another McPhee and demand an answer from him at 3am....
lol .... I guess he just couldn't sleep until he got the answer eh ... too funny !!! (in hindsite of course) ... lol

Grizz
Pretty sure that was McCammon
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

ClamRussel wrote:
Grizzly wrote:
I just hope Gillis doesn't pull another McPhee and demand an answer from him at 3am....
lol .... I guess he just couldn't sleep until he got the answer eh ... too funny !!! (in hindsite of course) ... lol

Grizz
This is all in reference to the almost Gretzky signing right?
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

If Sundin comes in, on paper, this is the best team we've ever had in my opinion at least.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

the toucan kid wrote:If Sundin comes in, on paper, this is the best team we've ever had in my opinion at least.
Just don't jinx it! ;). The Hockey Gods hate us as it is.

Back in 1997 when Messier came here, many people were saying the same thing. :oops:

p.s. I didn't realize how awesome Mats Sundin was on face-offs. I haven't lost a single 'draw' with him on my video game. 8-)
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Indeed he's the face-off king in NHL '08, and uh those mid-90s teams lacked the obvious depth on the blue line and phenomenal talent in goal.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Linden Is God wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:
Grizzly wrote:

Grizz
This is all in reference to the almost Gretzky signing right?
correct
Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Mikodat »

hmmm a lot of hope ... but reality is we've been stronger at center before .. and not won diddly squat.. Remember the team of 82? 4 top centers.. Smyl, Boldirev, Ivan Hlinka.. Lever... Yeah they made it to the cup finals.. but lost 4 straight to a much better balanced team.. Islanders.. with good D .. good goaltending and the best first line in Hockey... and remember the 90's teams .. with our " saviour " Messier at center... and Larionov?

Difference is that just maybe we just signed some decent 2 way players.. not just showboat offensive players ( think Bure' Messier or last years team forwards ( exception .. Kesler , Burrows ).. lets see how this hand plays out before giving kudo's to MG..
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(
RC51
CC Rookie

Post by RC51 »

For what it's worth (and it may not be much), Eklund is reporting sources saying that Sundin is going to the Habs, to be announced later this week (a cut and paste from his site):

YOUR MATS TODAY REPORT
Today in Sundin...I am being told more and more that Mats is going to return to the NHL and a source this morning told me that, "He will be Canadien by week's end, and the Habs know it. It is being kept quiet so the team can make the needed moves to clear cap space without teams being able to completely take advantage"
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Is this the same Eklund that suggested Sundin would be signing for the Canucks about a week ago :)
cheers
mr perfect
MVP
MVP

Post by mr perfect »

mattola wrote:well Im pretty convinced hes coming here. I guess we will see what we see this season. Gillis is full of surprises but not.

and to those in the internet world (Im not saying on this board)

Matt - I agree with you this wouldn't be the best team ever. If Sundin does come here then they will be slightly better than last season's team. Demitra is not an improvement over Naslund but Sundin even at age 37 will be somewhat better than. Morrison. I say somewhat because of Sundin's age, never having played for a western team that travels as much as the Canucks and the tighter checking in the west than the east, Sundin's point totals will be in the 65-70 pt range if he signs with Vancouver. That's if he and the team stay healthy which I don't believe will happen as long as Vigneault is coach and stays with his system. Last season's team would have made the playoffs had they remained healthy. The only way this team will be much better with Sundin in the lineup is if Raymond, Bernier and to a certain extent Taylor Pyatt all have breakout years. There's hope for Raymond and Bernier who are both only 23 years old. Pyatt I'm not so sure about. He has the potential to be another John Leclair but will be 27 next month. He's also UFA at season's end. It's a make or break year for him.
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

RC51 wrote:For what it's worth (and it may not be much), Eklund is reporting sources saying that Sundin is going to the Habs, to be announced later this week (a cut and paste from his site):

YOUR MATS TODAY REPORT
Today in Sundin...I am being told more and more that Mats is going to return to the NHL and a source this morning told me that, "He will be Canadien by week's end, and the Habs know it. It is being kept quiet so the team can make the needed moves to clear cap space without teams being able to completely take advantage"

...But does RiverCitySports have a Sundin-Habs bobblehead? :)