Sundin done?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:45 am

cheers

Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:16 am

Will this ever end?
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:

George
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by George » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:31 am

Badfish wrote:
George wrote:Heh... from Wikipedia:
Mats Johan Sundin (born February 13, 1971) is a Swedish professional ice hockey player, currently playing for the Vancouver Canucks in the National Hockey League (NHL).
I guess that seals it then...
I atually checked this, dammit :roll: Well, maybe this swedish article is ahead of the game and we'll be hearing an anouncement after the weekend? Good god I hope so....
It actually did say that earlier... obviously some over-eager fan :) ....

Bret H
MVP
MVP

Post by Bret H » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:05 am

alright Bret H... where are ya bud?
Here I am... :D

The article has already been translated so I have nothing new to add on the article as such...

BUT...

Dagen Nyheter ("Daily News") is not a gossip paper. It's a "morning paper", the kind of newspaper you have delivered to your mailbox at 5am. There are only two such nationwide newspapers, and Dagens Nyheter is the biggest one.

I would say they are very credible. It does not mean they are always right, but they won't just make up things to sell some extra copies, if you know what I mean. I do not know about this specific journalist though (because I'm a subscriber to the other morning paper... ;) ) but if he works for DN (Dagens Nyheter, not Dave Nonis) he's probably reasonably reliable. Unless this is his first (and last) article...

Where there's smoke, there's fire... personally I feel this is good news, the chance that Sundin will be presented at the "state of the franchise" this week increased quite a lot.

stevethiessen
MVP
MVP

Post by stevethiessen » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:07 am

Thanks Bret. That's what I was after - Google can translate pretty much anything, but they can't give ya that "eyes on the ground" opinion. :)

Bret H
MVP
MVP

Post by Bret H » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:55 am

A bit worrying though that the agent says Sundin won't decide until August.

It's kind of obvious that he will deny that Sundin has signed with the Canucks, even if Sundin has signed. You don't want the story to be told by a newspaper, so that is what he has to say. But he didn't have to mention August... on the other hand it's a good way to make people like me believe that he is not lying... ;)

This is getting frustrating!!!

Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:24 pm

The more this drags on, the less I want him in Vancouver. While I think he'd be a HUGE boost for the team, part of me wants the team to rebuild and get some homegrown talent. I'm still not convinced our prospects are solid.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:

Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:10 pm

Just saw the noon news hour today and I guess Sundin did an interview with some reporter in Sweden (?) don't quote the source... Comments made were

- "if I had just wanted to sign for the money I would have signed in Vancouver a long time ago"

- Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver in the running

- Sundin's "second home" is in TO ... commented on how much he liked TO and playing for them

... all speculation on my part but IMO clearly his heart is still in Toronto and he is torn whether or not he should return to TO or even play again. Squire Barnes made a comment before the break that it might be a long shot for Vancouver to get Sundin ... It was a really quick comment that wasn't really part of the "sports news" .... sounded like his opinion ... bit still interesting none the less.

Grizz

BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:13 pm

Sundin blah blah blah

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

But seriously, thanks for the updates anyways (especially those translating swedish).

I miss hockey

Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:47 am

The strange thing is, TO does not have the Cap space to sign Sundin and Mtl would be maxed out

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=TOR

They both have to get rid of players to accomodate Sundin
cheers