Sundin done?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Farhan Lalji wrote:
Molson Muscle wrote:If Sundin chooses to go elsewhere (or do other things as it were), I can actually see MG maybe breaking this down a bit and doing the dreaded R word (rebuild) which maybe isn't a bad thing really.
I'll have to disagree here. Gillis seems to be serious about winning NOW: Sundin or not. Why else would he go after Demitra? If the rumours are true, Gillis has also been asking about Gionta (Bieksa + ??? would go the other way) and Vermette (Vermette officially asked for a trade today).

I don't think rebuilding will be in Gillis' plan until Luongo's contract is up (assuming that at the time, the Canucks haven't lived up to expectations).
I would be welcomed to trading for Vermette. The Sens could use another Dman and are having a helluva time signing Meszaros as well. Something like Bieksa + for Vermette and Meszaros would be decent (I only say Bieksa because I believe he is what the Sens would want).
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

Linden Is God wrote:
Farhan Lalji wrote:
Molson Muscle wrote:If Sundin chooses to go elsewhere (or do other things as it were), I can actually see MG maybe breaking this down a bit and doing the dreaded R word (rebuild) which maybe isn't a bad thing really.
I'll have to disagree here. Gillis seems to be serious about winning NOW: Sundin or not. Why else would he go after Demitra? If the rumours are true, Gillis has also been asking about Gionta (Bieksa + ??? would go the other way) and Vermette (Vermette officially asked for a trade today).

I don't think rebuilding will be in Gillis' plan until Luongo's contract is up (assuming that at the time, the Canucks haven't lived up to expectations).
I would be welcomed to trading for Vermette. The Sens could use another Dman and are having a helluva time signing Meszaros as well. Something like Bieksa + for Vermette and Meszaros would be decent (I only say Bieksa because I believe he is what the Sens would want).
I'm not sold on Vermette. I dunno... He just seems like a player that benefited from playing in Ottawa's system. I'd say he's an extremely talented 3rd liner, but I wouldn't make him a permanent 2nd liner and I certainly wouldn't want to build a line around him. If I was him I'd sign a 2 or 3 year extension with Ottawa for a $3M a season and benefit from a few more 20 goal seasons before cashing in on free agency ala Malone. I certainly hope the Canucks don't throw an offer sheet at him.

edited for crap grammar
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

I'd say he's an extremely talented 3rd liner,
Our 3rd line is full.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

levelheaded wrote:. I certainly hope the Canucks don't throw an offer sheet at him.

edited for crap grammar

no can do. Sens filed for arbitration for him. it protects them from an offer sheet.
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

mattola wrote:
levelheaded wrote:. I certainly hope the Canucks don't throw an offer sheet at him.

edited for crap grammar

no can do. Sens filed for arbitration for him. it protects them from an offer sheet.
Oh yeah. Well, I really hope we don't trade someone like Bieksa or Edler for him then. ;)
George
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by George »

Breaking news! Sundin has gone fishing. For fish. In Sweden.

http://www.canoe.com/sports/nouvelles/a ... 93900.html (french)

Doesn't he know he can go fishing in Vancouver?
gordorama
MVP
MVP

Post by gordorama »

Where the hell is Mat(s)?

http://www.wherethehellismatt.com/videos.shtml

Maybe this explains why he needs more time to decide. Off gallivanting around the world and such.
stevethiessen
MVP
MVP

Post by stevethiessen »

alright Bret H... where are ya bud? Care to translate, and give input on the veracity of the source? Are we talking reputable paper, or gossip pages?

http://www.dn.se/DNet/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=672&a=806514
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

Google Translation Wrote wrote:Sundin ready for Vancouver
Han är svensk ishockeys hetaste övergång. He is a Swedish ishockeys hottest transition. Mats Sundin är enligt uppgifter till Dagens Nyheter klar för Vancouver. Mats Sundin is as reported by Daily News ready for Vancouver. - Jag pratade med Vancouver i går, säger "Suddens" agent Claes Elefalk. -- I talked to Vancouver yesterday, saying "Sudden" agent Claes Elefalk.
New York Rangers wanted him, Detroit as well. Förmodligen halva NHL också. Probably half the NHL as well. Men enligt uppgifter till Dagens Nyheter har Mats Sundin nu bestämt sig for att förlänga sin karriär, i en helt annan klubb. However, according to the Daily News has Mats Sundin decided for now to extend his career, in a completely different club. Han lämnar Toronto, ishockeyns huvudstad, där han varit större än stadens borgmästare, för Vancouver, där han blir lagkamrat med bland andra bröderna Sedin. He leaves Toronto, ishockeyns the capital, where he was larger than the city's mayor, of Vancouver, where he will be with lagkamrat among other brothers Sedin.

En källa till Dagens Nyheter säger följande om Sundins situation: A source of Daily News said the following on the Sundin situation:

- Hans agent i Nordamerika tackade nej till KHL (den ryska superligan) med motiveringen att han är helt klar för Vancouver. -- His agent in North America declined to KHL (the Russian superligan) on the grounds that he is fully ready for Vancouver. Att han har skrivit på, varför skulle han säga så annars. The fact that he has written on, why would he say if otherwise. Han får ju en stor summa pengar vid en eventuell overgång hit, säger källan. He may, of course, a large sum of money in the event of a overgång here, "said the source.
Dunno, seems like pure speculation along with some anonymous source to me. I'm still taking a wait and see approach.
George
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by George »

Heh... from Wikipedia:
Mats Johan Sundin (born February 13, 1971) is a Swedish professional ice hockey player, currently playing for the Vancouver Canucks in the National Hockey League (NHL).
I guess that seals it then...
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

I think if the Canucks should be trading anyone off our Defence it should be Ohlund or Salo. Of course teams are going to want our most promising hard-nosed D-man... Other than trading BXA as part of a package for a top-flight player, that guy shouldn't move. I'm sick of seeing soft fragile (European???) players on this team. With the Canucks, Bieksa's grit is a premium asset.
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Island Nucklehead wrote:I think if the Canucks should be trading anyone off our Defence it should be Ohlund or Salo. Of course teams are going to want our most promising hard-nosed D-man... Other than trading BXA as part of a package for a top-flight player, that guy shouldn't move. I'm sick of seeing soft fragile (European???) players on this team. With the Canucks, Bieksa's grit is a premium asset.
I think ... if I am not mistaken ... Ohlund and Salo have "no trade" clauses and Bieksa doesn't ... certainly limits our options ... If he doesn't return to his form of a couple of years ago also his stock will have dropped ... tough year for him last year.

Grizz
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

George wrote:Heh... from Wikipedia:
Mats Johan Sundin (born February 13, 1971) is a Swedish professional ice hockey player, currently playing for the Vancouver Canucks in the National Hockey League (NHL).
I guess that seals it then...
I atually checked this, dammit :roll: Well, maybe this swedish article is ahead of the game and we'll be hearing an anouncement after the weekend? Good god I hope so....
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

more from a similar source:
Mats Sundin clear for Vancouver according to my information. Which bomb.

Put to on MySpace put to on Facebook put to on del.icio.us what is this? What is this? Little difference on bombs and bombs. I know that this is a correct bomb if it agrees. One can never last 100 percents safe. But 99 is enough for me in order to type and to inform my readers.

Now, we wait with excitement!
Says this guy
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

and another translation of the original article posted, slightly more read-able:
New York Rangers wanted him, Detroit as well. Probably half the NHL as well. However, according to the Daily News has Mats Sundin decided for now to extend his career, in a completely different club. He leaves Toronto, ishockeyns the capital, where he was larger than the city's mayor, of Vancouver, where he becomes lagkamrat with, among others, the brothers Sedin.

A source of Daily News said the following on the Sundin situation:

-- His agent in North America declined to KHL (the Russian superligan) on the grounds that he is fully ready for Vancouver. The fact that he has written on, why would he say if otherwise. He may, of course, a large sum of money in the event of a overgång here, "said the source.

Sundin agent Claes Elefalk also recognizes that Sundin and the club is in contact.

-- I talked to Vancouver last yesterday (Friday), but that he would be ready is more than I know, if so, "he says to DN directly from their holidays.

-- I did not even know he had taken the decision to continue playing hockey, he continues.

How hot is Vancouver?
-- They are extremely hot. They want him.

Mats Sundin is one of the American ishockeys greatest heroes of all time. He has, along with Peter Forsberg, has been the biggest shop window for the blue and yellow in the last 15 years. Many thought he would never leave Toronto, where he was lagkapten in 13 years, and instead finish their careers there. But the exclusive data as DN taken note of doing now that he is continuing his amazing career, and that he makes it in svensklaget Vancouver.

DN has in vain sought to Mats Sundin for a comment.
from this article posted above