**UNOFFICIAL** Gillis to give Fillipula offer sheet rumours

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Is an offer sheet to Fillipula the right way to go? For how much?

Yes, for 2.6-ish
50%
Yes, even if it takes 4+ mil
30%
No way, offer sheets are not the way to go and will just nager other GM's
No votes
No way, the guy's not worth it. Spend the money somewhere else
20%

Total votes: 20

Badfish
MVP
MVP

**UNOFFICIAL** Gillis to give Fillipula offer sheet rumours

Post by Badfish »

From HFBoards.com

Apparently this was heard on CKNW 980 by several people. Thoughts? Some opinions are that it must be for at least 2.5 or more since the wings are 2.5 below the cap currently, or that it could be as high as 4+ mil. others say the Wings will match any offer and make the space to keep him. Interesting, can't say I'd be disapointed with him as our #2, but for what price? He's also not the biggest guy in the world if I remember correctly... possibly to play with Demitra should he sign?
Farhan Lalji

Re: **UNOFFICIAL** Gillis to give Fillipula offer sheet rumo

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Badfish wrote:From HFBoards.com

Apparently this was heard on CKNW 980 by several people. Thoughts? Some opinions are that it must be for at least 2.5 or more since the wings are 2.5 below the cap currently, or that it could be as high as 4+ mil. others say the Wings will match any offer and make the space to keep him. Interesting, can't say I'd be disapointed with him as our #2, but for what price? He's also not the biggest guy in the world if I remember correctly... possibly to play with Demitra should he sign?
I voted - YES...even if it takes 4+ million. There's no point throwing an offer at someone that will easily be matched.

Aside from that fact, I truly believe that Flippula is *already* worth 4+ million. On a very stacked Detroit team (especially at center), Flippula played 3rd line center and put up some semi-impressive numbers. He also did the same in the playoffs.

The guy is only 24 years old, and will only get better. From what I understand, he's also an excellent two way player (which will give Veenyo a hard-on).

I vote 'YES' - and for 4 million+. Canucks have a ridiculous amount of cap space. USE IT.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Hmm I'm told the offer for Sundin isn't going anywhere, if we do this I can't see Sundin coming in, unless the Sedins are leaving. That said we already pissed people off, so lets see if we can't get him.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

the toucan kid wrote:Hmm I'm told the offer for Sundin isn't going anywhere, if we do this I can't see Sundin coming in, unless the Sedins are leaving. That said we already pissed people off, so lets see if we can't get him.
Right now - the Canucks can't worry about Sundin IMO. We have to move forward, just as the NYR moved foward without Jarmoir Jagr.

And quite honestly - I really don't think Sundin will come here anyways. Canucks are NOT a cup-contending team right now. Sundin has been a work horse throughout his entire career, and will probably want to go to a team that has a shot at winning the cup.
sic puppy
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by sic puppy »

Farhan Lalji wrote: I vote 'YES' - and for 4 million+. Canucks have a ridiculous amount of cap space. USE IT.
At the expense of a 1st, 2nd and 3rd picks ?

Up to 3.9M the Wings are comped a 1st & 3rd rounder.

If Gillis was only offering Backes 2.6M, unless he "learned" from his first offer, I can't see this offer being 4M.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

sic puppy wrote:
Farhan Lalji wrote: I vote 'YES' - and for 4 million+. Canucks have a ridiculous amount of cap space. USE IT.
At the expense of a 1st, 2nd and 3rd picks ?

Up to 3.9M the Wings are comped a 1st & 3rd rounder.

If Gillis was only offering Backes 2.6M, unless he "learned" from his first offer, I can't see this offer being 4M.
I'd personally still do it.

Flippula, in my opinion, will easily be worth that much. The guy is the real deal in my opinion.
nuckknowitall1944
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckknowitall1944 »

i'm not sure if i agree with this if we offer over 2.6 mill it will cost us a 1st and a 3rd rounder, if its over 3.9 mill it will cost us a 1st ,2nd and a 3rd !!! in a deep draft where we have the potential of getting a top 5 pick next year one that includes sure fire stars in tavares an hedman !!!
And the way you guys talk about filppula who is an amazing talent don't get me wrong about him being buried in depth, the guy played around 16:30 of ice a game and saw some pp time with zetterberg an datsyuk an was inserted in some key situations..
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

With Mats Sundin the Canucks are a Stanley Cup contender in my opinion Farhan, maybe they aren't stable long-term, but with Sundin and a winger I would put them right up there with anyone but Detroit.
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

I'm not sure I want to give up our first rounder this year. I'm still not sold on us not flopping to the bottom of the league, and I really don't want Detroit to get Hedman to replace Lidstrom. Filppula is an alright player, but I really don't feel he can be an effective second line centre. He's more of a support player that can play 2nd line if necessary in my books. He only put up 19 goals last year with the high flying wings. He's older than Bernier and has only shown flashes of brilliance. I'd much prefer to sign Sundin at $10M with no compensation than Filppula at $3.5 while losing our first rounder.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Farhan Lalji wrote: Aside from that fact, I truly believe that Flippula is *already* worth 4+ million. On a very stacked Detroit team (especially at center), Flippula played 3rd line center and put up some semi-impressive numbers. He also did the same in the playoffs.
Are you off your rocker Farhan?!? FOUR million PLUS???
I saw him play last year and wasn't overly impressed....he's ok. Not worth more than a million imo at this point in time. He's tiny and plays small....has ok skill but nothing like Datsyuk or anything. How many first round picks would it cost us if we signed him to 4+? The cost isn't just the cap-hit, you have to consider it will (once again) deplete our future for a guy who is hardly a sure thing.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ClamRussel wrote:
Farhan Lalji wrote: Aside from that fact, I truly believe that Flippula is *already* worth 4+ million. On a very stacked Detroit team (especially at center), Flippula played 3rd line center and put up some semi-impressive numbers. He also did the same in the playoffs.
I saw him play last year and wasn't overly impressed....he's ok. Not worth more than a million imo at this point in time. He's tiny and plays small....has ok skill but nothing like Datsyuk or anything. How many first round picks would it cost us if we signed him to 4+? The cost isn't just the cap-hit, you have to consider it will (once again) deplete our future for a guy who is hardly a sure thing.
He is 6ft 200 Clam so he isn't an elf. He can fly and he looked goo in the playoff games i saw. 2.6 million might be enough for Detroit to walk away but I doubt it. If you go to 3.9 the compensation becomes a 1st round pick. I am not positive I want to pay that even though I like the player. What if the team shits the bed or Luongo gets hurt? All of a sudden it's Filppula for John Tavares perhaps.

The thing is if Gillis goes to 2.6 the Wings will likely match that offer. If he goes up above that and to 3.9 it becomes a 1st rounder and that could blow up in our faces. It's a slippery slope. At least there is a GM here who is actually trying to be proactive instead of a fat lump of shit that would have probably re-signed Morrison and Naslund for obscene dollars.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

I am leery of MG giving up his 2009 1st round pick for someone like Filpulla. Everybody is saying it will be a deep draft, so even if they don't stink up the season and land a top-5 pick, the Canucks could be letting go a player who could be better than Flip before they even get him.

Would love to see Flip slide into 'the other scoring line' with Raymond and maybe Pyatt or Wellwood, but if it costs a 1st rounder, why mortgage the future? Yeah, Holland may match a $2.6 million offer sheet, but it may hoop him with regards to signing other players this summer or next, so perhaps the prospect of that offer sheet may be enough leverage for a trade to get the guy.

Wait and see..... but at least it's not boring.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
antro
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by antro »

there's no way holland can match even a 2 million dollar contract, say for 3 years, to filppula...have a look at their cap situation:

http://nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=DET&season=0809

w/ $4 million, they still have to sign filppula, mccarty, maybe chelios, and at least one other forward to replace downey and drake, who aren't coming back. plus they have to have room in case of injuries.

but the real problem comes next year: zetterberg, franzen, and samuelsson are all UFAs, and jiri hudler is an rfa. even with hossa's salary off the book, and a few more dollars for the cap, they are going to be hard-pressed to keep all 4. just looking at their salary structure, i don't think they want to pay filppula a ton of money right now.

i'm not saying that filppula's the solution, but if gillis wants him and can get him to sign here, i'm pretty certain that he can do it w/o giving up a first rounder (and giving up a first rounder would be pretty dumb).
-----------------------------
no more Bieksa-bashing!
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:
He is 6ft 200 Clam so he isn't an elf. He can fly and he looked goo in the playoff games i saw. 2.6 million might be enough for Detroit to walk away but I doubt it. If you go to 3.9 the compensation becomes a 1st round pick. I am not positive I want to pay that even though I like the player. What if the team shits the bed or Luongo gets hurt? All of a sudden it's Filppula for John Tavares perhaps.

The thing is if Gillis goes to 2.6 the Wings will likely match that offer. If he goes up above that and to 3.9 it becomes a 1st rounder and that could blow up in our faces. It's a slippery slope. At least there is a GM here who is actually trying to be proactive instead of a fat lump of shit that would have probably re-signed Morrison and Naslund for obscene dollars.
LoL, my ass this guy is 6ft.... the hDB has him listed at 5'11" and I think thats being generous Blob. Seriously, he looks like a taller version of Slava Kozlov....and I don't mean Viktor, trust me. No way in hell I'd risk a 1st rounder on him, however I do commend Gillis for being proactive. If he goes to the limit w/o costing us a first then I say great. Before signing Hossa Detroit would have matched for sure....now they might pass at 2.6 since they're pushing cap trouble.
Molson Muscle
CC Veteran

Post by Molson Muscle »

Wings can go over the cap by 400 million right now all they want. They only have to be at or under the cap by sept. 1st....Wings'll match
Rehab is for quitters