2008 - 2009 Captain

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Who will be our next Captain?

Mats Sundin - HE WILL SIGN HERE DAMMIT
16%
Willie Mitchell - we going old skool
63%
Ryan Kesler - We going young
16%
Mattias Ohlund - cause we didnt learn from the last quiet Swede
3%
everyone gets to be captain because we want to be a fair fun team
3%

Total votes: 32

mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

2008 - 2009 Captain

Post by mattola »

who is it going to be? I say Mitchell
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

great poll, but Mitchell is the next one.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

By all rights the Captaincy is Ohlund's if he wants it, but personally I'd give it to Kess. He's young, and embodies everything we want in a captain (as well as being a canuck draft pick). If we play our cards right he could be wearing the C for another 10 years. Mitchell is a good alternative though (But Sundin will demand it right? :P).

Edit: I wouldn't mind a split captaincy between Kesler, Mitchell and Ohlund. Sort of like Linden when he was first named co-captain. It would be best for the team IMO.
West Coast Jets Fan
CC Veteran

Post by West Coast Jets Fan »

I voted for other....still have my fingers crossed that GMMG will trade Kesler for press box winger Cam Janssen from the Blues.

It would be a great pickup and I could see him wearing the C

:roll:
1972-1996

3 Avco Cups
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

Can we give the next captain a small 'c'....so that when a real captain emerges we can give him the CAPITAL 'C'........we've had a small 'c' captain for tooooo long....
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

WILLIE!
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
nuckknowitall1944
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckknowitall1944 »

I say juraj simek!!!
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Probably Mitchell ... but I like the idea of going young with Kesler too ...

Grizz
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

Kesler. He can handle it. There were times last season when he looked like the only guy who was willing to go through a wall to win a game. It's clear he's the only guy who is really bothered by losing. Ultimately, I don't think Mitchell cares that much. It think losing bothers the hell out of Kesler.That's the guy who should be the face.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

This might sound weird, but I would seriously consider KEVIN BIEKSA (IF Sundin doesn't sign here) to become the next captain of the Vancouver Canucks. Here are my reasons:

1) Bieksa's the type of guy that can change the complexion of a game: Whether it's by beating the crap out of someone, throwing a huge body check, or blasting one from the point, Bieksa's the type of guy that can get his teammates going with one "dramatic" play. While guys like Ohlund and Mitchell have more seniority, they don't really have game styles that allow them to have that "one game changing moment." In a lot of ways, Bieksa reminds me of Jarome Iginla.

2) Bieksa shows great intensity when pissed off (although yes - I do realize that last season, he could across as very lacksadasical when coming out of his own end).

3) Bieksa doesn't seem like he has a problem speaking up.

4) I think Bieksa is the type of guy that would be 'flatterred' at the idea of being named captain...and would really rise to the challenge (and do all he could to 'elevate his game' to live up to the responsibilties of being a captain). I don't think Ohlund or Mitchell would really "elevate" their game upon being named captain (at this stage in their careers, I don't think either play will improve much anyways).

So - If Sundin doesn't come here (chops off fingers just for saying that), I think Bieksa should be named captain.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I don't think that Sundin should be handed the C just for showing up. Sure, he's had it in the past, and earned it in Toronto, but I also get the feeling he'll only be here for a year or two. At that point, we hand it to someone new again (whoever replaces Sundin).

I say give to someone who plans to stick around a while - and to someone who will actually appreciate it and live up to the responsibilities.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
NMCanuck
AHL Prospect

Post by NMCanuck »

It needs to be Mitchell. I'd say we have a pretty fragile team and Willie would provide the most solid leadership. Kessler is too young in my estimation, his time will come. When Linden took over for Steamer the team had a much stronger sense of who they were. Although I have utmost respect for Naslund I think we suffered a bit under his more laid back leadership. Giving the C to Sundin if he comes would be akin to giving it to Messier, which was a huge mistake. Let Sundin play and not saddle him with all of the nonsense of being the Captain. Mitchell is the guy.
Every man has a secret ambition: To outsmart horses, fish, and women. (Mark Twain)
George
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by George »

NMCanuck wrote:Giving the C to Sundin if he comes would be akin to giving it to Messier, which was a huge mistake. Let Sundin play and not saddle him with all of the nonsense of being the Captain. Mitchell is the guy.
Well, apparently Gillis offered Sundin the captaincy if he plays here, so it would be his if he wants it. It wouldn't be anything like Messier getting the C, as in that case it was stripped from Linden. In this case it's already available.

I think I voted for Mitchell in the poll, but having a 'stopgap' captain like Sundin for a couple of years wouldn't be a bad thing. We get some proven leadership and in the meantime we can see if anyone really clearly emerges as captain material once he's gone....
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Ohlund has earned it, but if Mats wants it and it helps sign him, by all means.
yammi
CC Veteran

Post by yammi »

I don't believe Mattias would accept the captaincy, even if offered.

He wore an A several years ago, but requested that it be passed onto someone else.

Ohlund is not into everything that comes with being a Vancouver captain, and I'm sure this was just reinforced by witnessing the challenges that Naslund had over the past few years ... Mitchell, on the other hand, has the skills ... but rumour has it that he doesn't get along that great with the current coach.