SUNDIN.....would ya do it? (5 year 40 million dollar deal).

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Farhan Lalji

SUNDIN.....would ya do it? (5 year 40 million dollar deal).

Post by Farhan Lalji »

SUNDIN.....would ya do it? (5 year 40 million dollar deal). (EDIT: The 5 year 40 million dollar sentence was meant to be a joke....in order to get your attention :))

Now that I've got your attention, please be assured that I would NOT sign Sundin for 5 years at 40 million (I know I say a lot of crazy shit on here, but even I have some limits :) ).

Having said that - IF the Canucks could get Sundin for ONE year (at a reasonable price), then I might be open to it.

What I like about Sundin, is..

A) The guy is a great leader. If Naslund should stay, Sundin would help Naslund a LOT in this regard.

B) Sundin can play both center and RW. Sundin could either play on a line with Naslund, OR he could be play alongside the twins (Nazzy and Kesler, or Nazzy and Mo could play on the other line then).

Perhaps a better question would be, if you could get Sundin AND Tucker....would you?

I know Tucker had a horrid season last year, but perhaps a new environment could rekindle him? (to an extent, it worked for Matt Cooke when he went to Washington). Tucker would be another guy that would be a decent fit with the twins.

If the Canucks could somehow sign Naslund and Sundin to 1 year contracts (highly unlikely, but who knows)...then I'm intrigued with the idea of this.

It may not the best route that the Canucks could take, but signing Sundin would probably be a lot cheaper than a guy like Hossa.
Last edited by Farhan Lalji on Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

Yep but not the 5 year, 40 million deal you proposed. Providing he's not asking for the moon (health concerns justifiably), he'd definitely worth it. The man can still play at a high level providing his body doesn't give up on him! I have concerns because of his age and fragility but I think he's still quite a good player and leader and would invest in him if the price were right.
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

I would take Sundin, on a one-year deal, in a heartbeat. If we got Sundin, then I would also be willing to keep Naslund, they might bring the best out of each other. Tucker, no.
Mark
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

rockalt wrote:Yep but not the 5 year, 40 million deal you proposed. .
LOL - I was only kidding about that!
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

If MG could land Sundin I would be impressed !! Sundin is exactly what he team needs....big skilled center that has leadership quality....
I don't know what it would cost but I'd rather overpay for Sundin for a shorter term deal (2-3 years) than a long term deal with Hossa
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Kowch
CC Veteran

Post by Kowch »

There's a lot of things we need - a 37 year old center on the downside of his career is certainly not one of them.

Thanks, but no.
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

Really?? a 37 year old 6'6" center that has played in an intense hockey market..freakin TO..... but loses..he has done nothing but lead a bunch of moron managers & suspect players over the years....never bitches......
Kowch....we are going to overpay for any other free agent.....why not pay for something that is proven......I don't get your comment.....
IMO...Sundin may be the best signing out of all the FA's.....
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

[quote="Kowch"]There's a lot of things we need - a 37 year old center on the downside of his career is certainly not one of them.

Thanks, but no.[/quote]

Didn't see him play last year? 78 points in 72 games and +17 is hardly on the "downside" of his career.
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

I just realized how amazingly ignorant my post about Sundin's health being a concern was. The guys has been an absolute model of consistency, averaging over 70 games a year and a point a game over his career. Seriously, take a look at his stats. Last season's output was virtually identical to his "prime" 10 years ago. Really impressive that he has been able to maintain that level of play.

It's funny (perhaps sad is a better adjective), 7 or 8 years ago when Nazzy awoke and was playing at an elite level, I considered guys like Sundin and Alfreddson to be one notch below. In retrospect, Nazzy's peak was all too short lived and those other two have maintained a stronger level of play over the course of their careers. Objectively, it is Nazzy who is the notch below.

But having said that BigTuna, I think anyone has to be justifiably concerned his production will begin to decline sooner than later. The guy's 37. How long can he realistically maintain his production? 2 years? I seriously doubt he'd come here. You have to figure at his stage, he'd leave Toronto for a chance to win a cup, not to reignite an anemic offense!
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

One year why not see what he could do with Nazzy. Sundin or Bert could be good for Naslund (without the C) no pressure to be the top line, make it happen Gillis.
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

I would bring Mats in for one or two years, but nobody knows if he wants to play and judging by his past attitudes about moving, coming out west is pretty unlikely.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

[quote="rockalt"]I just realized how amazingly ignorant my post about Sundin's health being a concern was. The guys has been an absolute model of consistency, averaging over 70 games a year and a point a game over his career. Seriously, take a look at his stats. Last season's output was virtually identical to his "prime" 10 years ago. Really impressive that he has been able to maintain that level of play.

It's funny (perhaps sad is a better adjective), 7 or 8 years ago when Nazzy awoke and was playing at an elite level, I considered guys like Sundin and Alfreddson to be one notch below. In retrospect, Nazzy's peak was all too short lived and those other two have maintained a stronger level of play over the course of their careers. Objectively, it is Nazzy who is the notch below.

But having said that BigTuna, I think anyone has to be justifiably concerned his production will begin to decline sooner than later. The guy's 37. How long can he realistically maintain his production? 2 years? I seriously doubt he'd come here. You have to figure at his stage, he'd leave Toronto for a chance to win a cup, not to reignite an anemic offense![/quote]

I think people concentrate on age too much. Sundin is scoring more than 5 years ago. Compare him to guys like Roenick and Fedorv, who started around the same time as him and you see how well Sundin has aged.

He has stayed away from major injuries. The guy can play into his 40's if he chose.
Kowch
CC Veteran

Post by Kowch »

Soapy wrote:Really?? a 37 year old 6'6" center that has played in an intense hockey market..freakin TO..... but loses..he has done nothing but lead a bunch of moron managers & suspect players over the years....never bitches......
Kowch....we are going to overpay for any other free agent.....why not pay for something that is proven......I don't get your comment.....
IMO...Sundin may be the best signing out of all the FA's.....
Because he's 37. The age game is going to catch up to him sooner rather than later. It's going to turn into another Messier albatross around the clubs neck. I'd rather try to get younger players (like Hossa) that might be around for more than a year or two.

Also, if he's such a great asset, and you know what he means to the city of Toronto and their fans... why is he being allowed to just walk away? Something doesn't sit right with me here.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

[quote="Kowch"][quote="Soapy"]Really?? a 37 year old 6'6" center that has played in an intense hockey market..freakin TO..... but loses..he has done nothing but lead a bunch of moron managers & suspect players over the years....never bitches......
IMO...Sundin may be the best signing out of all the FA's.....[/quote]

Also, if he's such a great asset, and you know what he means to the city of Toronto and their fans... why is he being allowed to just walk away? Something doesn't sit right with me here.[/quote]

Because they're re-building! It's not a knock on Sundin. They know they've upset him by asking him to waive his NTC and they want to get something for him.

His stats speak for themselves as to how good he is at age 37. He was one of the NHl's best players last season.
Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Mikodat »

A little thinking.... a little dreaming....
thinking... With BMo a UFA... Linden gone....Ritchie a UFA ( and not worth bringing back... we are short of centers big time..

Dreaming.... yeah sign Sundin for 2 years ( drop B Mo(.. resign Naslund.. Bring in Malone... sign another low cost 4th line center.. bring one up from the Moose Pasture . If Laraque is not too expensive... sign him too.. drop Cowan... sign Weaver or another 6 dman..

Lines would look like this.. ( maybe )

Pyatt, Sundin, Naslund.
Twins, Malone
Kesler Laroque Burrows
Raymond, x center ( Rypien? ) Pettinger

D? Salo, Edler
Ohlund , Mitchell
Bieksa ( if he cant be traded ) Weaver
7 ? Zack Fitzgerald or other spare parts from Moose..

and it aint gonna happen :(...
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(