Bertuzzi placed on waivers

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Bertuzzi placed on waivers

Post by Linden Is God »

As per TSN. This came as a shock seeing he's part of the old boys club Burke has assembled.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=241810& ... pStory_nhl
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

holy shit. I bet we pick him up. I bet we do.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

I would do it, only to make Farhan happy. And half the press in this town would have a heart attack and die, so there is that upside to think about.
Mooger35
CC Veteran

Post by Mooger35 »

$4 million is a lot for nothing...

It's over, accept it because.... it is what it is. ;-)
Peter: Just don't forget our deal, Lois. I sit through this and later tonight I get anal. You hear me? No matter how neat I want the house you have to clean it.
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

mattola wrote:holy shit. I bet we pick him up. I bet we do.

this by means doesnt indicate that I WANT him back. but it wouldnt shock me if he did.

even in his last season with vancouver he got 71 points with all the distraction. he has skill he has size.

his mind is fraked so I dont know where he fits with any team.

I love off seasons like this. its VERY entertaining.
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Where's Farhan on this?
West Coast Jets Fan
CC Veteran

Post by West Coast Jets Fan »

GMMG wants "character guys" not guys that are a charcter......

Hello Maple leaves......re-united with Nazzy and BMo.......and soon to be Burke.

or

Hello Phoenix.......
1972-1996

3 Avco Cups
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

dr.dork wrote:I would do it, only to make Farhan happy. And half the press in this town would have a heart attack and die, so there is that upside to think about.
Even if a re-united WCE were only 70% of what they once were in comparison to their peak (or could atleast play at the level that they did in 05/06), then I still argue that we'd have a damn good team.

-The Sedin's could go back to playing on the 2nd line (where they flourish). The Sedin's could easily once again be one of the best 2nd lines in hockey.

-Kesler and Burrows would once again be one of the best 3rd line shut down forwards in the game.

Oh yeah - and we have Roberto freakin' Luongo.

Naslund would also be better if Bert was here (i.e. his best buddy, AND the fact that Nazzy could go back to playing his old style...if Veenyo permitted it).

I feel strongly about this issue, and I know I'm in the minority. Oh well....
clearwatercanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by clearwatercanuck »

WCE would still be good if they could stay healthy. This team should be able to add one more star player as well. Hossa or Shanahan for Experience

Naslund 4Mil Bertuzzi 4Mil Naslund 4Mil
Hsedin, Daniel, Sedin Pyatt
Mason Raymond Kesler Burrows
Kyle Wellwood , Shannon, Pettinger
magnum44
CC Veteran

Post by magnum44 »

It may not be logical to take on Bertuzzi's salary and baggage, but I wouldn't be disappointed if Gillis did. In light of a 56m salary cap Berttuzzi-Naslund-Mo/Wellwood/? still has the potential to be an effective line for ~20% of the cap. Naslund would probaly sign a 1year contract if this was the plan, which would give Gillis a decent bandaid for this year while the youth develops and allow him to make some moves during the season. Lot of ancillary considerations to take into account though, but as a pure hockey move a reconstituted WCE would still put up alot of points, especially on PP.
You're only young once, but you can be immature forever
antro
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by antro »

oh god...please no

this guy is completely bad karma...he did very little in anaheim this year, and was (according to anaheim fans) constantly floating. and that's on a team that plays a style that bertuzzi should have flourished in. what's he going to do with AV's style? honestly i'd rather have gary roberts.

i don't want the WCE back

sorry Farhan.
-----------------------------
no more Bieksa-bashing!
Broda
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Broda »

i may be half drunk at work here.. but clearwaters first two lines threw me off.. i don't get...
As much as i loved Berluzzi i don't think we need him or want him back at this point.. It hink he is and has been on the decline for a couple of years now. I love beeing nostalgic and wishing for the old WCE and a return of Clouts.. but some dreams are left in the pipes.. or something like that..
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

His back is a jigsaw puzzle & now he has concussion problems....yikes.....& could you imagine AV trying to coach him !!! LOL!!!
He might be a fit in Pit or another team closer to the CUP
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

antro wrote:a style that bertuzzi should have flourished in.
I'll have to disagree with that. If I'm not mistaken, Anaheim, as a team, had one of the lowest GF (if not, THE lowest GF) in the entire NHL. These guys were pretty much trapping all year. To add to that, Bertuzzi played on the 3rd line (as a RW'er) behind Corey Perry and Teemu Selanne.

Despite being on the 3rd line, and despite being on a very offensively inept TEAM, Bertuzzi still scored 15-16 goals if I'm not mistaken. That's not GREAT, but it's not as horrible as it looks either.

One more point that I'd like to consider:

-The last 2 seasons, both Naslund and Bertuzzi haven't played in "environments" (or circumstances) where they were at their best. Therefore - I can't conclusively say that both men are "washed up" (particularly if they played together).

-For the last two seasons, Naslund has played under Veenyo's system....which means that he hasn't been able to play his 'freestyle, high-paced, offensive style.' On top of that, Naslund has either had insufficient centers (i.e. Brian Smolinski), OR has had to play with the twins as a RW'er (a position of which that he's never been a superstar, AND with players that have very incompatible styles with his).

-Bertuzzi: Last season was a wash, as Bert was still recovering from back surgery...and was still very rusty upon returning. This past season, Bert played on the 3rd line behind Perry and Selanne. The times that he *DID* play on the top 2 lines, it was in positions where he has never been a superstar (i.e. left wing and/or center).

Bottom line? I don't think it's totally fair to judge both Naslund and Bertuzzi for these past two seasons. Both players played in situations/environments that were vastly DIFFERENT from their WCE days.

Back in 05/06 - the "Steve Moore" shadow was still casting a VERY huge shadow. 3 years later, I do not think this would be the case. In 05/06, Bert arguably had a "holier than though" attitude since he was a superstar. Perhaps he had a bad attitude. 3 years later, I do not believe this would be the case. Bertuzzi is no longer a superstar, and I highly doubt that the "primadonna" attitude would exist as result.

Lastly - a lot of Bertuzzi's old enemies from here (i.e. Crawford, etc., etc.) are no longer here. In a lot of ways, this could be a fresh new start for Bertuzzi (IF the media welcomed him back with open arms.....as they did with Linden in 01' after Linden was traded from the team in 98'...on not-so-good terms with the coach at the time).

In 05/06, the WCE were severely over-priced at $15 million (or whatever they were worth at that time). On top of that, the media here had EXTREMELY high expectations (albeit, unrealistic) of the WCE.

3 years later, this would NOT be the case. The WCE would only be worth 50-60% relative to their 05/06 price tag. The WCE would NOT have the burden of carrying bloated/unrealistic expectations. On top of that, the WCE would not be expected to carry this team as it once did.

For many years, Selanne played with bad knees and everyone thought he was washed up. He proved the critics wrong at the ripe old age of 36. I see no reason why Bert can't do the same (do we know for a fact if his back is still messed up?).

I'm sorry guys - I might be the ONLY guy in the world that thinks bringing the WCE back...may not be such a bad idea, but I stand by everything that I said.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

p.s. And lest we forget. As "TERRIBLE" as the Canucks were in 05/06, that team still managed to put up 256 goals for the year.

If the WCE came back here and were ATLEAST as good as their 05/06 selves (worst case scenario....best case farfetched scenario is that they play like they did in their peak), then why couldn't we assume that the Canucks couldn't put up those kind of numbers again?

Now that Canucks have a much better (defensively sound) 'D', combined with Luongo, are GA would obviously be far far lower than our 05/06 campaign.

All of a sudden, our GF/GA differential would be very similar to what the Montreal Canadiens had this year.