Ryan Walter joining Canuck staff ?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

spenc8
AHL Prospect

Ryan Walter joining Canuck staff ?

Post by spenc8 »

Sportsnet has a short article about Ryan Walter joining the canucks biut no details . can you tell me anything ?
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Looks like he's being hired as an assistant coach. I love simply because I have always been a Ryan Walter fan.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough »

http://canucks.nhl.com/team/app/?servic ... e&id=18196

Quote:

The Canucks put yet another key piece in to play Tuesday adding NHL veteran Ryan Walter to the coaching staff.

Walter spent 15 years in the NHL – including two with the Canucks – and won a cup with the Montreal Canadiens in 1986.
BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough »

Some other quotes from the article which seem a bit odd:

"Though Walter has no coaching experience in professional hockey, the 50-year-old father of five has spent a lifetime immersed in the game - experience Gillis feels is invaluable."

AND

“I wanted to understand where [Walter] wanted to be in five or ten years, and [ensure] that we were going to be in a position to accommodate those needs,â€￾ said Gillis. “I also wanted to be sure that we were hiring the best possible assistant coach we could find, and I think that’s the case.â€￾

Hrm. The best possible assistant coach has no coaching experience :shock: . Kinda like our GM.

Do the best people really have no experience? MY experience tells me that prior experience is important.
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

BingoTough wrote:Hrm. The best possible assistant coach has no coaching experience :shock: . Kinda like our GM.

Do the best people really have no experience? MY experience tells me that prior experience is important.
Not to mention Mellanby. So we have a GM with no experience, an assistant GM with no experience, an assistant coach with no experience. Brilliant job Aquaman.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

hmmm... from the outside looking in, it almost seems like MG is loading the team jobs with buddies..

just curious, who were Mellanby's and Walters agents?
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

Not that I don't agree with you guys but just on the topic of experience, in general, I believe it to be vastly overrated. For one, how the hell can you accumulate experience if you're never given the opportunity because you lack it? I'll take innate ability over experience any day.

On the topic of hockey though, yes, it is a bit concerning when NONE of the new hires have experience. Still I'll give MG the benefit of the doubt for now. Just because he's never GM'd before doesn't mean he'll be worse than Nonis. I've liked what he's said so far and so I'd like to see what changes he makes before casting him off for his lack of experience.
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

Yeah, I would agree if there was no experience, but I think a lot of people are overlooking the experience already on the team. Vigneault has experience, so adding an assistant coach who is new really isn't that big a gamble. Adding Mellanby to Gillis, neither of which have experience, is mitigated by the fact that they have Tambellini there who has loads of experience, so I think we're getting a little jumpy without reason.

I like this move, Walter was a 2nd overall pick (I think) who was known for being a really smart player, I read his book and recall thinking at the time (like a decade ago) that this guy has the smarts to be a great hockey mind, he has cup-winning experience (there you go with the E-word!), was an offensive threat early on in his career and understands that game while at the same time was a solid defensive player and premier face-off guy towards the end (all of which we need), while being known as a solid leader on the team (who better to fill in at least in part on Linden's absence).

I'm still curious where Mellanby fits in, and though I don't quite understand it, I do have the impression that Gillis has a plan and is methodically executing it. We'll see if it works, but I can't say any of his moves have been bad or disconcerting to date.
Mark
Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Mikodat »

Wow.. So the one with coaching experience is going to be AV? Maybe they'll fire him mid season and bring in a Head coach with no experience :)... Seriously most coaches and assistant coaches have experience - even if its at the junior level.. This looks like a " hire mah buddy " deal.. Maybe they'll draft a guy who has never played hockey? :) A new approach going along with Rockalts theory ;)
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Walter has written books on coaching and from what I heard he has designed a lot of techniques and practice drills that a lot of minor coaches throught North America are implementing. He has been a consultant with the HAbs for a couple of years i believe.

Does any of this mean he'll be a decent assistant coach ? I have no idea, but he may offer a different perspective and he was always thought of as an intelligent player when he played the game.

Maybe some of you would have been happier if Harkie Singh was promoted though the ranks.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Walter has written books on coaching and from what I heard he has designed a lot of techniques and practice drills that a lot of minor coaches throught North America are implementing. He has been a consultant with the HAbs for a couple of years i believe.

Does any of this mean he'll be a decent assistant coach ? I have no idea, but he may offer a different perspective and he was always thought of as an intelligent player when he played the game.

Maybe some of you would have been happier if Harkie Singh was promoted though the ranks.
Great points. Let's not forget, there's quite a few players turned coaches that had no previous experience. I see no harm in this hire.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Maybe some of you would have been happier if Harkie Singh was promoted though the ranks.
Poor Harkie - the new scapegoat for all that is wrong with the Canucks! :lol:

I don't see anything wrong with this hire. Keep in mind that Marc Crawford has extensive NHL coaching experience, won a Cup, etc - but there is no way in Hell I would want him anywhere near this team.
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

If Walter manages to make those he coaches play hockey anything like he did the Canucks are going to become one difficult team to play against. Walters observations as a color commentator certainly weren't off the mark. Hope this works out for him and the Canucks.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Who the heck is Harkie Singh?

I dunno, the Mike Gillis era is starting to eerily remind me of the Bill LaForge days.....his new baseball quota ranking system has all the pizzazz of "team Phd" .....remember team hustle, team heart, team pride etc and that drill that DIRECTLY lead to Darcy Rota's premature retirment.

Yes, maybe this will all turn out alright but forgive me if I'm gunshy....I've been through the GasMan days....I lived through LaForge....and Watt....and Gordon....and Neale...shall I go on?
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

Hey, at least Bill LaForge screwed up quickly. What did he last, 20-something games ?

Harkie Singh is a close personal friend of Blob's. Blob can stop talking about him. Harkie is responsible for scouting in Ontario/OHL, or something like that. Part of the reason for our outstanding drafting record, no doubt.

Don't worry too much about MG, we have a Harkie up our sleeve just in case something bad happens. Detroit may have someone named Bowman, but we have Harkie.

Or google Harkie Singh if you want something closer to the facts...