Ryan Walter joining Canuck staff ?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

Mikodat wrote:Maybe they'll draft a guy who has never played hockey? :) A new approach going along with Rockalts theory ;)
Everyone's got to start somewhere buddy! It's not like we're all born with experience and to deny someone the right to employment simply because they lack extensive "experience" is a bit asinine. Some people just possess the natural ability for certain things, so why deny them that opportunity? I'm fine with the hire so long as it's handled accordingly. The onus is on Walter to prove himself. I would hope that his performance dictates his outcome, as it should in any job. I don't see the harm in this hire. It's not like we're talking about someone who is completely unrelated to hockey coming to be the head coach!

In my opinion, people are just getting too worked up about this. In fact, people are getting a little too worked up everything Gillis does (or does not do) so far. Give the guy break and wait until the real action starts before jumping all over him, will ya? Didn't we do that enough with the last GM? Yeesh!
sk8er
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by sk8er »

rockalt wrote:
Mikodat wrote:Maybe they'll draft a guy who has never played hockey? :) A new approach going along with Rockalts theory ;)
Everyone's got to start somewhere buddy! It's not like we're all born with experience and to deny someone the right to employment simply because they lack extensive "experience" is a bit asinine. Some people just possess the natural ability for certain things, so why deny them that opportunity? I'm fine with the hire so long as it's handled accordingly. The onus is on Walter to prove himself. I would hope that his performance dictates his outcome, as it should in any job. I don't see the harm in this hire. It's not like we're talking about someone who is completely unrelated to hockey coming to be the head coach!

In my opinion, people are just getting too worked up about this. In fact, people are getting a little too worked up everything Gillis does (or does not do) so far. Give the guy break and wait until the real action starts before jumping all over him, will ya? Didn't we do that enough with the last GM? Yeesh!

now, that is the most intelligent thing I have read on any of these boards in the past week. My gawd, everybody is negative, negative, negative. Like they have so much more insight than the people running the show? Who gives a shit how we get there Lets just enjoy the ride.
My god, i love the Canucks, have since 1980, but I can't understand all this hate for the organization and everything they are trying to do.
Take a pill people!!!!!!
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Agreed ... it is going to take some time to get things organized etc. ... I don't think that the ship will be righted in the first couple of months ... realistically it could be several months before we even start to see how his changes have any long term effect on the organization.

Grizz
Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Mikodat »

<i>Everyone's got to start somewhere buddy! It's not like we're all born with experience and to deny someone the right to employment simply because they lack extensive "experience" is a bit asinine </i>

I was just pointing out a very obvious fact.. Most coaches and ass't coaches in the NHL have experience in coaching at Junior or minor league level.. Thats not denying anyone employment... Its just not starting at the top.. Happens to be that Ryan Walter is a sharp hockey guy... but the transition to coach might not work. Time will tell.. Same as using a " talent pimp" ( read agent ) as GM.. both skilled jobs but maybe the transition works.. maybe not.. So far... no real proof either way.. We'll all be able to make a better judgement of the " New Canucks " about November.. Lets see if Aquaman/Gillis can put a decent team on the ice.. So far.. moves have not been overly impressive.
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(
antro
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by antro »

levelheaded wrote:Not to mention Mellanby. So we have a GM with no experience, an assistant GM with no experience, an assistant coach with no experience. Brilliant job Aquaman.
Not to be too picky but Mellanby's title is consultant or pro-scout, he's NOT an assistant GM.

The assistant GM that MG hired, to remind you all, is Gilman, who definitely has experience: 13 years with the Jets/Coyotes in various positions including assistant GM, and GM of their farm team.
-----------------------------
no more Bieksa-bashing!
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

Mikodat wrote:<i>Everyone's got to start somewhere buddy! It's not like we're all born with experience and to deny someone the right to employment simply because they lack extensive "experience" is a bit asinine </i>

I was just pointing out a very obvious fact.. Most coaches and ass't coaches in the NHL have experience in coaching at Junior or minor league level.. Thats not denying anyone employment... Its just not starting at the top.. Happens to be that Ryan Walter is a sharp hockey guy... but the transition to coach might not work. Time will tell.. Same as using a " talent pimp" ( read agent ) as GM.. both skilled jobs but maybe the transition works.. maybe not.. So far... no real proof either way.. We'll all be able to make a better judgement of the " New Canucks " about November.. Lets see if Aquaman/Gillis can put a decent team on the ice.. So far.. moves have not been overly impressive.
Fair enough Mikodat. I definitely get where you're coming from. I definitely agree that most guys usuallly go the convential route via Junior but I'm just going to wait and see a little bit before I toss him (Gillis) into the fire. Honestly, how important are assistant coaches anyway? Obviously you want the best for your team but I'm more concerned with how Gillis peforms at the draft and during free agency than who he chooses as the next assistant coach.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

dr.dork wrote:

Don't worry too much about MG, we have a Harkie up our sleeve just in case something bad happens. Detroit may have someone named Bowman, but we have Harkie.
:lol:
sic puppy
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by sic puppy »

Some are giving Walter some of the credit for the success of the Habs this year.

When Gillis said that he would approach things differently, this would be one of those moves.

Walter apparently worked with the synergy/team concept and one sound bite had him commenting on his fascination of why teams with similar talent are more successful than others.

What he lacks in experience behind the bench, IMO he more than makes up for it in experience on the ice and his understanding of the game. Coupled with his masters degree, it certainly is akin to the hiring of the capologist.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
dr.dork wrote:

Don't worry too much about MG, we have a Harkie up our sleeve just in case something bad happens. Detroit may have someone named Bowman, but we have Harkie.
I seriously thought this was a fictional character of Blob's wild imagination....but he's for real. Check out these glorious stats!
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... ?pid=23018

...who says our scouting staff needs tweaking?!?
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ClamRussel wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
dr.dork wrote:

I seriously thought this was a fictional character of Blob's wild imagination....but he's for real. Check out these glorious stats!
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... ?pid=23018

...who says our scouting staff needs tweaking?!?
What wild imagination Clambake ? :lol:
Hockey_roo
CC Veteran

Post by Hockey_roo »

Not sure you have to have worked your way up the coaching ranks to land yourself a assistanve job at the top level. Player several years, sounds like he is intelligent and has life experience. Any one else manage 5 kids? :shock: