av extension

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

x00x
CC Rookie

av extension

Post by x00x »

i guess he's staying --- just got the txt that he's signed to a contract extension... seems like MG is almost done rearranging the furniture, so lets see what he's got up his sleeve player-wise!

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=238520&lid= ... cStory_nhl

x00x

edit for link
George
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by George »

I guess this means no more Naslund?

At least that's the way it seems to me....
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Well I'm glad the decision has been made. Like said above, now we can see what kind of player transaction Gillis can/will make.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

With the firing of Smith and Kelly I'm wondering if this means that Arniel will be promoted?
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

I don't understand this move. If Gillis is looking towards a change into a more offensive style system, what makes him think that AV can turn the corner but Barry and Kelly can't?

Ultimately the head coach has the final say, and being a defense-first coach I don't see how retaining AV would work if they want to move towards a more offensive style.
Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Mikodat »

Obviously Gillis thinks AV can coach a more offensive style... Remember. Michel Therien had the same rap in Montreal and AV was his protege' ... But both he and AV had bad Montreal teams to coach... AV had a slightly better record in Montreal.. I am more amazed that AV and Luongo managed to get the Nucks into the playoffs last year ... definitely not surprised they missed this year.. Lets see what AV can do with some offensively gifted players .. Now the balls in Gillis's court to come up with the players... Course it might be little easier for Therien.. Croxby, Malkin, Staal. are just a tad better .. :)
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

Mikodat wrote:Course it might be little easier for Therien.. Croxby, Malkin, Staal. are just a tad better .. :)
not better than Bieksa............

:roll:
antro
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by antro »

Arbour wrote:With the firing of Smith and Kelly I'm wondering if this means that Arniel will be promoted?
That might be a great idea. Arniel did a fantastic job on the Moose this year with a record number of players going through the roster (50+), b/c of injuries and call-ups. That's no mean feat.

Also, one of the things that AV doesn't seem to be good at is motivating young players--he had a lot of young players this season b/c of the injuries, and he would never t take time outs to settle them down if things weren't going well, nor do the rah rah thing on the bench. Maybe Arniel is better at this kind of thing.
-----------------------------
no more Bieksa-bashing!
George
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by George »

Interesting article from Darren Dreger at TSN:
Gillis and Vigneault plan to get together this weekend with assistant general manager Steve Tambellini to talk about some of the assistant coach candidates. They will each compile their own lists of candidates to replace Smith and Kelly going forward.
Is it just me or does this seem a bit strange? I thought head coaches were usually given all the authority to hire their own assistants, so they can choose people they're comfortable working with....I hope Gillis doesn't insist of some protege of his to learn from AV... could be a bit awkward...
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Or maybe they just to try and get the best candidate. I don't see anything wrong with this, and it looks like Gillis is being responsible for whatever happens to the team (good or bad) as he is seems to getting consensus views, and making educated moves at this point.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

Here's the Dreger article, he says he had a chance to talk with AV, yet has very little to say about it. Maybe he's saving it for TV? Either way there's a short blurb on AV.

DREGER: CANUCKS' MOVES CREATING A BUZZ
This week, the Canucks fired their assistant coaches and extended head coach Alain Vigneault. It's certainly the buzz around the hockey community, at least in the coaching fraternity.

I had a chance to speak with Vigneault Thursday afternoon and he talked about both scenarios. One, where he had to deliver the news to Barry Smith and Mike Kelly that they were no longer employed by the Vancouver Canucks. Vigneault said that was the toughest thing he's ever had to face, professionally speaking.

Two, in terms of his own extension, that became clear over the past couple of days and it was the product of numerous conversations with new general manager Mike Gillis. They've talked several times over the past month, since Gillis replace Dave Nonis, and as he said, they are like-thinkers. They are both on the same page.

Gillis and Vigneault plan to get together this weekend with assistant general manager Steve Tambellini to talk about some of the assistant coach candidates. They will each compile their own lists of candidates to replace Smith and Kelly going forward.
You know, I almost hate to say it but I'm starting to like Gillis. Dunno why. Just a good vibe. ;)
Mozy
MVP
MVP

Post by Mozy »

I am frankly surprised that AV stayed around. Frankly I think it might have been the wrong thing. It makes sense to change a couple players to accomodate for AVs defensive style, but at this point after that experiment it has become clear that his style is not necessarily the best for this team. That was made clear in the run and gun hockey that Burrows and Kesler have started playing.

In my eyes it would have been easier to replace AV with a coach that fits the players style than to force the players to fit to a coach's style. Especially after we tried that and it didnt seem to work.
Did you see the pool? They flipped the bitch
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

feritflame wrote: It makes sense to change a couple players to accomodate for AVs defensive style, but at this point after that experiment it has become clear that his style is not necessarily the best for this team. That was made clear in the run and gun hockey that Burrows and Kesler have started playing.

In my eyes it would have been easier to replace AV with a coach that fits the players style than to force the players to fit to a coach's style.

Kesler and Burrows are not "run and gun " hockey players. They have speed but unless the gun is a capgun I'm not sure what you mean. They have thrived under Vigneault and would be hard pressed to get that type of icetime with any other coach.

You could bring in Scotty Bowman with Ken Hitchcock and Mike Babcock as his assistants. It wouldn't make much of a difference. This team is still too small, too shitty and too soft. It's the personnel, not the coach and that is why David Nonis is looking at other jobs in other citites that have other FattBurger joints.
randymeeks
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by randymeeks »

This team is still too small, too shitty and too soft. It's the personnel, not the coach and that is why David Nonis is looking at other jobs in other citites that have other FattBurger joints.
you got it, blob.
38 years without a Stanley Cup and counting.