Naslund Interview on Sportsnet tonight - Comments on AV

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Naslund Interview on Sportsnet tonight - Comments on AV

Post by mattola »

comments on AV.

short blurb

he was asked would he come back if AV was the coach. his answer.......dun dun dun

(ad libbed)

"It depends on the STYLE of the team, I dont know if he can coach a offensive style as he didnt have the players to do it this year"

this should be a good interview.
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

Damn I miss not living in Van anymore, again any chance this is online somewhere? Would be great to hear.
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

synopsis

- Until he knows what the options are it tough to comment on whether he will play in the NHL again, if he doesn't like the options he will retire
- he wants to enjoy the game again. and he wants to play on a team that can win and has an offensive style. an upbeat style of game
- he thinks gillis will do a good job. he wants to feel wanted on a team and in a city.
- he WONT play be in a defense first system. It depends on the STYLE of the team, he doesn't know if AV can coach a offensive style as he didnt have the players to do it this year.

that was it. its in the AV room on sportsnet.ca 3 mins long
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I don't blame him one bit - he's an offensive player who scores. Whether we think he is or not, he is capable of scoring those goals.

He will be playing elsewhere next year - and probably excelling - deal with it.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough »

If I were Gillis, it would certainly bother me that players didn't like playing for my coach.

Especially if I needed more offense and one of my top offensive guys thinks playing for the coach is bad for guys with offensive talent.

Regardless, I think the following is clear:
- Gillis hasn't told Naslund "pleeeease stay, I'll do anything"
- Gillis hasn't told Naslund "AV is a goner"
- Gillis is still deciding on whether he wants Naslund
- Gillis is still deciding on whether he wants AV
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

BingoTough wrote:If I were Gillis, it would certainly bother me that players didn't like playing for my coach.
He was very clear that it wasn't that he didn't like playing for AV but it was the system that was coached or more to the point that AV was forced to coach. If AV gets the players and can coach a more offensive game he would return.

AV said it himself. The Penguins play the same basic system but have far more talent and can do things with the puck the canucks roster can not. He can only coach what he was given. I can't help but think that he can coach another style and at the very least he'll give it a go.
MinnesotaCanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by MinnesotaCanuck »

Maybe it's just nostalgia, but I can't see Naslund signing with any NHL team other than the Canucks. I think he'd be inclined to play back home if he is unhappy with the direction the Canucks take.

I feel like the Canucks are in a bind here. It sounds like Naslund won't commit to playing here unless he is sure that the team can play an offensive style of game. It will be tough to judge that until after the free agency period begins. But, if Naslund is in limbo during the FA period, Gillis will have to guess how much he can spend to keep Naslund in the fold.

It sounds like, if the Canucks fail to add some significant offensive skill, Naslund will walk. Whether you think he is overrated or not, losing him ON TOP of failing to secure some skill up front will really crush the Canucks chances of scoring goals next year.
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

MinnesotaCanuck wrote:Maybe it's just nostalgia, but I can't see Naslund signing with any NHL team other than the Canucks. I think he'd be inclined to play back home if he is unhappy with the direction the Canucks take.

I feel like the Canucks are in a bind here. It sounds like Naslund won't commit to playing here unless he is sure that the team can play an offensive style of game. It will be tough to judge that until after the free agency period begins. But, if Naslund is in limbo during the FA period, Gillis will have to guess how much he can spend to keep Naslund in the fold.

It sounds like, if the Canucks fail to add some significant offensive skill, Naslund will walk. Whether you think he is overrated or not, losing him ON TOP of failing to secure some skill up front will really crush the Canucks chances of scoring goals next year.
I didnt get this impression from him in that interview. I think if Detroit came to him or Ottawa or a team that has some real offensive talent and offered him a decent contract he would go. he wants to play and have fun and by his comments in this interview and seeing him play the last 2 seasons I dont think he liked it here.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

The comment of wanting to be wanted in the city....

there is the lovely BC media at work again.

Luongo will be the next target if Naslund goes.

If nothing else, This team will have to sign a high profile player that the media can blame for any failures, just to insulate luongo from the hounds...
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

Madcombinepilot wrote:The comment of wanting to be wanted in the city....

there is the lovely BC media at work again.

Luongo will be the next target if Naslund goes.

If nothing else, This team will have to sign a high profile player that the media can blame for any failures, just to insulate luongo from the hounds...
I agree Madcombinepilot. That was very telling indeed. I'm sure it's been extremely frustrating for him the last two years. He bought into a new system, saw his numbers drop, and beared the brunt of criticism for the team's struggles. He's probably frustrated enough with the decline in his production but to have it highlighted endlessly by the media and be accused of "not buying into the system" or "being at odds with his coach" surely only exacerbated the conflict. It probably doesn't help either that the fans turned on him, complaining about his bloated contract. Fair enough criticisms, but coming from his perspective, where he played below market value for years and excelled, it surely must be frustrating to hear everyone turn on you.

I like Nazzy and I thought he conducted himself pretty well in the interview. It's obvious AV's not his favourite coach but he didn't exactly trash him when the opportunity arose. I think this is where the media leak occurred. You can read between the lines. Nazzy wants to play in a more offensive system and that's one of his biggest considerations for where he signs. AV coaches a defensive system thus Nazzy won't sign with the Canucks if he's still the coach. I'm sure that's where the leaks came from. I highly doubt Nazzy would publicly diss AV. It's just not his character.

You know whatever happens with Nazzy, I will always remember him for the WCE years and not his waning production the last two. Any way you slice it, he's clearly one of the best Canucks ever and well deserving of having his number retired (on a somewhat related note, this is coming from someone who believes Bure should have his number retired as well, simply for being far and away the most talented and productive player to don a Canucks uniform).
OCWilson
CC Rookie

Post by OCWilson »

Once again, a class act by Naslund. I enjoy reading the posts on this board and have done so regularly for a couple years now. Unfortunately, being out of the area I don't get to follow the team like I use to, so don't feel qualified to post too often.

However, on this subject I feel strongly that Naslund is doing exactly what he needs to and has every right to do. I think he has given the team the benefit of the doubt for two years and the GM came up short in giving him consistent decent line mates to play with. Who of us would not have been extremely frustrated playing in his situation for so long. That is the main reason why if I were the owner I would have fired the GM as well. You all identified the glaring need for a high caliber RW to play with Naslund. What excuse was there? It should have been addressed before the season started.

Personally I would like to see Naslund back with Morrison and a high caliber hard nosed RW. And yes, his jersey should be in the rafters with Bure and Linden. :D
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

OCWilson wrote:Once again, a class act by Naslund. I enjoy reading the posts on this board and have done so regularly for a couple years now. Unfortunately, being out of the area I don't get to follow the team like I use to, so don't feel qualified to post too often.

However, on this subject I feel strongly that Naslund is doing exactly what he needs to and has every right to do. I think he has given the team the benefit of the doubt for two years and the GM came up short in giving him consistent decent line mates to play with. Who of us would not have been extremely frustrated playing in his situation for so long. That is the main reason why if I were the owner I would have fired the GM as well. You all identified the glaring need for a high caliber RW to play with Naslund. What excuse was there? It should have been addressed before the season started.

Personally I would like to see Naslund back with Morrison and a high caliber hard nosed RW. And yes, his jersey should be in the rafters with Bure and Linden. :D

I agree 100%. Naslund can score and given the correct situation will score again. Unless Gillis can find him a Bertuzzi style winger who would be more than willing to stand up for the Captain then it would be pointless for him to stick around. Nonis made promises to the fans that he couldn't keep, constantly telling us that he knew we needed a couple of top offensive players but he never secured them. Yeah I know, he just wouldn't make a trade unless yada yada yada. Anyway I like the fact that Nazzy is saying produce some help or I'm gone because that's the way I feel sometimes too.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Luongo will be the next target if Naslund goes.

Perhaps CC should have a contest on this (i.e. who will be the next whipping boy for the media once Naslund leaves?).

Personally - I think the media would pick either Veenyo or Bieksa.

p.s. As it relates to this thread, I'm still interested to see if Naslund can play like the "Naslund of old" if he played under his "system of old." I still don't think we can conclusively say that he's washed up.

Just my opinion.