Demitra being shown the city by Naslund?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Demitra being shown the city by Naslund?

Post by mattola »

on the CDC. : According to the Team1040, Pavol Demitra is currently in Vancouver and is being shown around the city by Markus Naslund.

anyone hear this? i thought naslund was back in Sweden?
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

The rumors also suggest that Demitra is saying to anyone who will listen that he'll be signing with Vancouver.

Don't believe it.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

so the question would become, would you spend a total of 10 million on the Naslund/Morrison/Demitra line?
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

Madcombinepilot wrote:so the question would become, would you spend a total of 10 million on the Naslund/Morrison/Demitra line?
I would spend $8M on that line.

$3 for Naslund
$3 for Demitra
$2 for Morrison

so no they would not come for that.
MinnesotaCanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by MinnesotaCanuck »

Demitra has been unhappy playing in the Wild's "defense-first" system since arriving in MN, so - unless AV's making some sweeping changes to his philosophy - he probably doesn't have much interest playing here either.
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

MinnesotaCanuck wrote:Demitra has been unhappy playing in the Wild's "defense-first" system since arriving in MN, so - unless AV's making some sweeping changes to his philosophy - he probably doesn't have much interest playing here either.
Well it's Naslund showing him around... currently unsigned and unhappy playing AV's style as well.... if the rumors are true ;)
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

-If the Canucks are interested in having to decent scoring lines, then signing Demitra may not be such a bad idea.

-Demitra probably would be an upgrade on Morrison.

-Demitra is already used to playing under a defensive-oriented system...and so switching over to Veenyo's system wouldn't be too much of a transition.

If Demitra signs here, then I hope the Canucks take a run at Rolston as well.

Both Demitra and Rolston can play center and right wing. Basically - either guy could play with the twins, or anchor the 2nd line.

My logic in signing Demitra and Rolston would be similar to my idea of getting the WCE.

While the Sedin-Sedin-??? line or the ???-Demitra-Rolston line may not be good enough to be a dominating #1 one, both of these lines should be good enough to be a formiddable 2nd line.

In other words - opposing teams will have to CHOOSE to send their best checkers/defensemen on one of the lines. If one line gets shut down, then the other line will be one helluva 2nd line.
MinnesotaCanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by MinnesotaCanuck »

Farhan-

Rolston badly wants to re-sign with MN, and virtually the only way that he doesn't is if they re-sign Demitra instead. There is almost no way that MN lets both of them walk.

The fact that Demitra is familiar with a defensive system makes him less likely to sign in Vancouver, based on my previous statement.

I agree with your point about having a 1A/1B line arrangement, but those pieces aren't realistically going to happen.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Ok here's one helluva stretch of a scenario.

Sign Demitra for 3 or 4 years. AV goes nuts and let's the team play a run and gun style of play. When Gaborik's contract is up, he will walk from the Wild and join his best friend where they will flourish in a true offensive system.

UH?? What's that noise? Oh it's just my alarm clock going off.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

MinnesotaCanuck wrote:Farhan-

Rolston badly wants to re-sign with MN, and virtually the only way that he doesn't is if they re-sign Demitra instead. There is almost no way that MN lets both of them walk.

The fact that Demitra is familiar with a defensive system makes him less likely to sign in Vancouver, based on my previous statement.

I agree with your point about having a 1A/1B line arrangement, but those pieces aren't realistically going to happen.
I wasn't aware of the fact that Rolston wanted to re-sign with Minnesota.

Anyway - I guess time will tell. The fact of the matter, is that the Gillis has LOTS of money to play with this summer...and we still have Luongo.

It will be interesting to see what Gillis does.
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

Would be interesting to see Demitra here, but only obviously as part of the solution, not the answer. Would be great if we're serious about a 1A 1B line system... but would that mean no more BMo? or would Demitra play wing, which he did most of this season (had him in the pool, very few faceoff wins for a fulltime C)? He was listed as C,LW, Nazzy would have to stay on the right, Demitra on the left, BMo in the middle? heh I'm a bit ahead of myself, but that's a decent 1A/1B line, give the twins a legit top RW and that's a pretty decent looking offense. Add in our 3rd line which looks pretty solid in Burr-Kes-Pett(or other) and things don't look so bad. An argument could be made that this isn't addressing our toughness issues that Gillis spoke of though. Unless that top RW is, say, Shane Doan :roll:

All speculation obviously, but I wouldn't be opposed if some grit was added as well
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

Adding another passive Euro to the mix? That is not progress.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
krutov
AHL Prospect

Post by krutov »

Call those lines 1a/1b is a bit of a stretch for me. I think it is ore of 1b/2b type of situation.
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Demitra will be one of the few upper-tier talent UFA forwards to hit the market this year. I think Gillis wants to impress ownership and land something big, even though perhaps this summer may not be the best summer to make a splash.
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

http://www.spectorshockey.net/index.php ... s&Itemid=9

Impending UFA forward Pavol Demitra recently visited Vancouver, setting off speculation he might sign with the Canucks this summer.

MINNEAPOLIS-ST. PAUL STAR-TRIBUNE: Michael Russo reports Wild forward Pavol Demitra was in Vancouver this past weekend given a guided tour of the city by Canucks captain Markus Naslund prior to returning to Slovakia for the summer. Both players are former clients of new Canucks GM Mike Gillis, and the Wild reportedly won't attempt to re-sign Demitra, focusing instead on retaining Brian Rolston.

VANCOUVER PROVINCE: Jim Jamieson reports Gillis confirmed the Demitra visit, adding that he was flattered by Demitra's visit. He said he wouldn't rule out re-signing a former client if it made sense from a hockey standpoint. Gillis hasn't ruled out a possible return of Naslund, who like Demitra is eligible for UFA status in July.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Draw your own conclusions, but it is interesting that Naslund would give Demitra a guided tour if neither player hoped to sign with the Canucks.