Greatest Save I have ever seen in my life

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

MinnesotaCanuck wrote:I disagree:

2 goals (including one game winner) and 8 assists in 13 games against two of the stingiest teams in the league, leading the team with 10 pts.

Lead the Sharks in goals (29, including 5 game winners) and assists (67) in the regular season. There were only two other 20-goal scorers on the team (linemates Michalek and Cheechoo, with 24 and 23 respectively).
Like I said, every year he's an all star during the season and a no show in the playoffs. Everyone gushes over his regular season stats and never mention his lack of production in the playoffs. He seems to be made of teflon.

He played with the best team in the world during the 2006 olympics and disappeared then too.

Throw stats aside and just look at effort then - Bob McKenzie called him "invisible" against Dallas. How can a guy of Thornton's size and skill be invisible in the playoffs? If he had Brendan Morrow's heart, SJ would have easily won that series.
MinnesotaCanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by MinnesotaCanuck »

Larry Goodenough wrote:

2 goals (including one game winner) and 8 assists in 13 games against two of the stingiest teams in the league, leading the team with 10 pts.

Lead the Sharks in goals (29, including 5 game winners) and assists (67) in the regular season. There were only two other 20-goal scorers on the team (linemates Michalek and Cheechoo, with 24 and 23 respectively).
Like I said, every year he's an all star during the season and a no show in the playoffs. Everyone gushes over his regular season stats and never mention his lack of production in the playoffs. He seems to be made of teflon.
The first set of stats IS from this year's playoffs.
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

MinnesotaCanuck wrote:
Larry Goodenough wrote:

The first set of stats IS from this year's playoffs.
And he had 3 points in 6 games vs Dallas. And the last game was actually more than 2 games long. So what? Stats can be manipulated to help any argument.

With all the hype he gets every year, he should be far more than a point a game player in the playoffs. And lots of media guys picked the Sharks to win the cup, so Joe must have some talent to play with? But yet again, when the Sharks need him he shrinks. That's 3 years in a row with San Jose and 10 years total.

And, again, I said he was overrated. That's different than saying he's not good.
MinnesotaCanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by MinnesotaCanuck »

I see your point, but I don't think he's given more "hype" than he deserves. People say he is a superstar and that he is the best offensive player on his team. I think both of those statements are clearly true. Considering the fact that he played against two very effective defensive teams in the playoffs, he put up good numbers.

Clearly, he's not a player who elevates his game to unheard of levels in the playoffs, but there are very few players that hold that distinction (Iginla and Sackic immediately come to mind). Still, saddling him with all of his team's failures seems unfair to me.

Nonetheless, I think you make a fair point.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

He doesn't play like he is 6'5" and 240 pounds (or whatever he is). And Marleau didn't play very big either. Morrow was running around hitting everything in sight though, and even little Ribeiro seemed to exhibit more grit than half of San Jose.

San Jose is huge, but they didn't really seem to use size to their advantage.
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

dr.dork wrote:
FOUR ass kickings against the Canucks tells me something different.
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

mattola wrote:
dr.dork wrote:
FOUR ass kickings against the Canucks tells me something different.
And that's my point exactly.

Joe always leads his team in ass kickings during the regular season, then becomes a shrinking violet when it really counts.

That's why I say he's overrated.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

THAT my friends was a goal. If you watch the angle from the SIDE you can clearly see the webbed catcher part of the glove w/ the puck in it past the post....and from that angle the only way you could see it if it was over the line.....it was JUST over the line and only for a fraction of a second but I have no doubt after watching it frame by frame.

If Dallas had lost the series that would have been the biggest topic since Brett Hull's skate in the crease Cup winning goal!
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

For the record, the greatest save I have ever seen in my life was Kirk McLean against the Flames on Theo Fleury in the 94 playoffs.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Robert Reichel
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

to jc's credit... it was Fleury that passed it to Bob Reichel.....

Richter Vs Bure...94......that penalty shot save or the one timer save .....any saves to win the Cup should be replayed over & over to make it a legend in hockey.....or Richter Vs Team Canada when we lost.......but we tend not to remember the amazing saves that happen when we lose.....& especially the CBC will never hi-light or replay amazing saves or goals that are not the leaves or Habs
Vernon saving the breakaway on Smyl in 89 was a pretty good one too

Hextall was rediculous against the Oliers in the 87 playoffs making the Nabokov save look routine....don't get me wrong...it was a great save...if it was in a the finals...or a game 7...it would be waaay more important...they lost...I won't remeber it 2 years from now....I won't remember Nabakov the way his career is going....
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill