Which potential UFAs should Nonis target?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Haida Knucklehead
CC Rookie

Which potential UFAs should Nonis target?

Post by Haida Knucklehead »

I believe Nonis should avoid signing the big name offensive star (ie. Hossa) and target two or three players that are a level below that.

These are some names that might fit the bill

Brian Rolston 30+ goals 4 of lst 6 years (inluding three in a row)

Micheal Ryder 30 + goals 2 of last 3 years and only 29 years old

Daymond Langkow 20 + goal 6 years ina row (30+ last 2 years)

I am not suggesting we signing these particular players, just that type of scorer, but two ore three of them.
Haida Gwaii is Canuck Country
newostar
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Which potential UFAs should Nonis target?

Post by newostar »

I've always liked Rolston. Solid scorer, gritty, can play on the PP and PK.

Seems like an AV type player.

My concern will be that players don't want to play for Vancouver...especially with Kesler and Burrows having personally insulted them all year. Tough for us to get any Northwest divisional free agents IMO.
hoopsjunky
CC Rookie

Post by hoopsjunky »

I like Rolston, but I doubt he signs with the Canucks. Actually, I'd be surprised if the Wild don't re-sign him.

I like Langkow too, but didn't he just re-sign with the Flames.

I'm half and half on Ryder. He'd be an intriguing fit with the Sedins, but doesn't he have the same soft personality we want this team to change?

I'm not necessarily against signing the big stars. It's just that, this off-season, the only big stars on forward are Sundin and Hossa. If you're talking about $, the Canucks have more than enough cap space to sign one of the big names. (Heck, they have money to sign both.) But you're right, this team doesn't need one top-six forward. It needs a whole other scoring line.

Personally, I wouldn't mind a Sundin and Ryan Malone signing. If we can poach Jeff Carter or Jarret Stoll, I'd do that too.
Reverend Smack
CC Veteran

Post by Reverend Smack »

My understanding is that Sundin is a Leaf or retired, he will not consider playing for any other teams. I will take a wait and see on that.
I would love to see Carter, Malone, and Stoll in that order. Carter is RFA, but Philly is running into some cap problems so DN may be able to pilfer him from the Flyers.
especially with Kesler and Burrows having personally insulted them all year.
If some sweetheart cannot handle some trash talking then who needs him. There are enough warm and fuzzy players in Vancouver as it is. :mex:
The truth may hurt...but it is still the Truth...Have a nice day :)
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Take a look
at the URA & RFA
http://www.nhlscap.com/2008fa_position.htm
cheers
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

Thanks for the link Fred. It does not look pretty. It looks even worse when you realize that the entire Canucks offense needs to be revamped. The only legitimate first line player available is Marian Hossa and I'm not convinced he's the type of player the Canucks need. I can't imagine him meshing with the Sedins and we don't have anyone else skilled enough to play with him (assuming of course Nazzy and BMO are gone). Dave Nonis might need to get greative and come up with some clever trades.

The only players who look mildly interesting are:

Bryan Rolston - Unlikely but he's gritty and has heart and skill.
Andrew Brunette - Clutch and fast. Great second line forward.
Daymond Langkow - The only decent option at centre. Nice grit.
Marian Hossa - Not ideal but clearly the most talented player available, so with our anemic offense it's worth a look at the very least.

So even if we attempt to solve our offensive inabilities via UFA, I think it's safe to say we'll have the same problem as this year (no legitimate first line).
Larionov
CC Veteran

Post by Larionov »

Other than Hossa, who will be the object of a ridiculous bidding war, there really isn't much out there in terms of UFAs who can really score. This is no surprise. As we have seen for some time, teams have generally been locking up their own key guys to long term deals before they ever hit the market. No one wanted to be like Buffalo, who had no strategy on how to manage their assets and ended up losing both Briere and Drury.

With no meaningful help coming in free agency, the Canucks will likely have to use some of their depth on defence, and perhaps Schneider, to get some scoring in return.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

How would Pavel Demitra fit with the Sedins? 20 or more goals in the 10 ten seasons - I can't watch enough games to get to know the players very well, but what are your thoughts? He made 4.5 last year, which is probably in line with what we'll be paying for top 6 forwards next year.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

My only concern with Demitra are injuries and his soft play. I admit, I haven't seen much hockey this year but I think Demitra is getting up there and his numbers may be inflated from playing Gaborik. Don't get me wrong he's still got the skill, but I'm not convinced he'd thrive here, and come playoff time I don't want more soft aging stars.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Some how I get the feeling UFA are not going to be the solution this summer and trades may be coming.

I don't know how much it would take to pry Frolov loose from LA, he's good value at $2.9 plus Dustin Brown is a RFA. Kopitar is in his last year so LA is going to need to splash some big money for him. Maybe they can let Frolov go

Jody Shelley/Scott Parker/Riley Cote might be a nice additions and maybe Micheal Ryder from Mtl and Cory Stillman from Ottawa.

I don't believe Hossa will come within our budget
cheers
Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Mikodat »

Dunno.. maybe keep Mo if we can get him at a decent price.. add Laraque and either Rolston, Shanahan ( old vet with ballz ) or Malone? At least it adds toughness without losing offensive talent. Laraque got the guts and scores a few.
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Thought I would wade into the fray. The below picks are based on the assumption that Nonis keeps AV on another season as much as I may not agree with that decision. Given that, as per UFA’s here is my analysis in order of choice:

Langkow C – Too bad this guy is gone. Think he would have been a good fit, especially for the AV system. Good defensively and can also put up the numbers – as a 2nd liner put up more goals than any Canuck. Not too shabby, although he wasn’t playing in a stifling system either.

Malone LW/C – I like his size and grit. Also a guy that can play defensively, which meets AV’s criteria, while also putting up numbers. Nice to have a guy that is versatile enough to play LW or centre. At 28 still has potential and not hitting the end.

Vrbata RW – has had a great year. Think we might be able to get him for not too much. While he may not play crash-bang hockey, you have to appreciate someone willing to sacrifice his body (unlike Sedins). Also nice to have a RW with a RH shot. Also young at 26.

Brunette LW – would be nice to have someone like this who isn’t afraid to get his nose dirty around the net. Also would boost our powerplay, and while his skating isn’t that hot, he has good hockey sense to make up for it. At 34 a little older and might be sliding, but still think he would be a help.

Fedotenko LW – another guy who is willing to take some punishment around the net, which seems to be a scarcity on this team right now. Still relatively young at 29 and has good size. Doesn’t shut down in meaningful games (alla our star players. Only 16 goals this year, but would still improve secondary scoring and if given the right environment might return to his 26 goal form of 2005.

Hossa RW – Now it would be a dream to get a player of this caliber, but he is so far down my list of choices because: 1) he is going to take an enormous amount of money, which then means less to put towards other forwards, 2) hasn’t performed well in the playoffs, but one could argue that neither had Datsyuk, 3) isn’t all that physical 4) may not adapt well to the AV system
Caveat: If Nonis decides to give the young guys another chance this year, gets rid of Naslund and pretty much stands pat – I would definitely be in favour of trying to acquire Hossa; if he can get a few guys that are upgrades (Malone, etc.), so long as AV stays, I think I would rather go that route.

Laraque RW – A bona fide heavy-weight, who has more goals and points this year in his 70 games than Ritchie and Cowan in their combined 115. A definite improvement for that fourth line.

Huselius LW – This would be more desperation than anything – not really sure we need yet another streaky guy who probably won’t get any better – but then again who knows.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

DonCherry4PM wrote: Hossa RW – Now it would be a dream to get a player of this caliber, but he is so far down my list of choices because: 1) he is going to take an enormous amount of money, which then means less to put towards other forwards, 2) hasn’t performed well in the playoffs, but one could argue that neither had Datsyuk, 3) isn’t all that physical 4) may not adapt well to the AV system
I wouldn't touch Hossa for anything. Just another softie who has no idea how to get it done in the playoffs. He wants$10 mill/year. I'd be reluctant to offer him half of that. Paying huge money for a guy who can't put the team on his back when times get tough is not a road I'm interested in going down.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Sid Dithers wrote:I wouldn't touch Hossa for anything. Just another softie who has no idea how to get it done in the playoffs. He wants$10 mill/year. I'd be reluctant to offer him half of that. Paying huge money for a guy who can't put the team on his back when times get tough is not a road I'm interested in going down.
I can see your aversion to another soft player, but the guy does consistently put the puck in the net. Moreso than anyone we have now. For the reasons stated I did have him down on my list, but, depending on length of time and amount of money respecting the contract, I would rather have him than I would continue status quo. Now if Nonis could somehow pull Carter and Malone, or Malone and Vrbata, etc. not a chance I would sign Hossa, just more on the contingency (well more likely probablility) that he can't or won't.

P.S. Just to add to that and give some perspective, the Sedins best playoff performance in the past six years has been less than .5 ppg. Hossa's best is .88 ppg in 02-03. His last performance with Atlanta was only 1 assist in 4 games - terrible .25 but so was the entire team and the only playoff performance in which hossa performed at less than .5 ppg. In my opinion that would be an improvement. Beggars can't be choosers.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Reverend Smack
CC Veteran

Post by Reverend Smack »

Malone, Vrbata, and Laraque and Fedotenko are the 4 I would go after. Fill the rest of the spots with home developed prospects. I would also resign BMOat about 2mil per.
Then I sit AV down and tell him "geet er done" or you are done. :mex:
The truth may hurt...but it is still the Truth...Have a nice day :)