Canucks a darkhorse for Forsberg?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

If Floppa comes to Vancouver you would?

Stop calling Floppa and ask penance for all the years of hatred
13%
Order my Foppa Jersey as soon as its available
No votes
Wonder why as we may not make the playoffs this year?
6%
If its more than one year deal expect Markus to be back next year and to retool for a real run
31%
We still hates him my precious.....we hates him FOREVER
6%
Get a donut and a timmies
31%
ORDER THE RINGS!
13%

Total votes: 16

mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Canucks a darkhorse for Forsberg?

Post by mattola »

http://www.spectorshockey.net/index.php ... s&Itemid=9
CANWEST NEWS SERVICES: Iain MacIntyre reports Vancouver Canucks GM Dave Nonis was first in line negotiating with him last summer, as Nonis met with Forsberg in a meeting brokered by Canucks captain Markus Naslund. Nonis confirmed the meeting on Wednesday and MacIntyre report the Canucks remain among the teams still in the running.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Hat tip to "Scott R." for the Inquirer link. While I still believe the Flyers are the front-runners this news about the Canucks could make them perhaps the dark horse in this bidding war.

This being said how would you really feel that if Peter signed here? I would assume most of our D are coming back sooner rather than later and we have something to go on for a trade for another top 6 to make a real push for the Cup if he signs here. he wouldnt if our D were out and our chances slim to none. or he signs for next year as that is the year for us?
antro
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by antro »

i'm with the spector on this one: it's exciting to think about the old forsberg here, but the current version? he's practically an android, and not a very well-built one.
-----------------------------
no more Bieksa-bashing!
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

if he were to come here I think his minutes and games would be limited if hes not 100%. no matter how you see him today hes better than most we have past Sedins and Naslund. this guy has talent and sees the game differently. I wouldnt ever say no to him as a UFA
stevethiessen
MVP
MVP

Post by stevethiessen »

he is still a point a game player! Even on one leg last year! Yzerman did it, and everybody lauded him for it.

I hate Peter for the simple reason that he was SO good and dominant, and drove me nuts with how simple he made it look with the Avs.

If he signed with us? I'd be like a grade 6 girl having her first crush. Bring on the Foppa jersey (which Raymond I guess just hands over.)
Larionov
CC Veteran

Post by Larionov »

Are you kidding me? Given this club's current lack of scoring, even a one legged Peter Forsberg could help. He should be met at the airport and carried to GM Place on the fans' shoulders. Is this the same Peter Forsberg that we saw 10 years ago? No, of course not. Can he still play? You bet he can. He was a point a game guy for Nashville last year, both in regular season and in the playoffs. The only point a game guys on the Canucks currently are the twins. The best part about Forsberg is that he is a UFA - compare that to the King's ransom that will be demanded for rentals like Sundin and Hossa.

Bottom line -- offer this guy the maximum we can possibly afford, and hope like hell he takes it.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

No question, if we can do it, do it. There's no reason not to, a UFA next year like Hossa is going to cost what 9 million over 7 years or something? Can't be done and we need scoring. If he's healthy and the others are healthy, we're a contender. If he's not, then we aren't anyways. I still think if we sign Naslund to a reasonable deal we can look for an upgrade at 2nd line centre in the 5-6 milion range pretty comfortably. I know the Sedins are coming up, but they're 85 point guys that need to be together, they're never going to command top dollar each because of it.

That being said this thing about Naslund was around in the summer, this doesn't sound new to me. He's going to Philly.
antro
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by antro »

i agree he's an exciting player, and brings a different outlook, but the problem is that he doesn't want a deal for only the rest of this season...and he's too injury-prone to depend on.

so, let's say forsberg can't get it done with philly and turns to the canucks and says "im yours but i want 5 million a year, pro-rated for this season, but then a complete 5 million for next season"--would you guys still do it?

even if he only has a minimal effect for the rest of this season, you spend the whole summer wondering if he'll be around next year, and therefore you are in tight against the cap...way too risky. i know that if he doesn't end up playing that there's less of a cap bite, but you can't actually plan over the crucial summer months.

and, if you could get Bmo & Naslund to take substantial pay cuts, wouldn't you prefer to take a run at Hossa at 8 million a year or so?
-----------------------------
no more Bieksa-bashing!
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Mo isn't taking a pay cut of any substance. I'm sure he can get 2.75-3 million elsewhere, depending on whether he wants term or salary. Naslund might come down a fair bit, but if you take Morrison's 3.2 and Cooke's 1.5 off you have some room to move. That's Forsberg's money right there.

I don't want to give anyone a 6-7 year deal at 8-9 mil let alone an older player, who is is not a guy to build around.

Look lets be honest our top two D men are twigs in Ohlund and Salo. Mo gets hurt every year, but up until now has played through it, mostly poorly. Naslund is a flake on the ice and Mitchell won't be able to keep it up for long the way he battles. We've probably got one more shot with these veterans next year before they're over the hill. I'd rather take a gallant shot with Forsberg than stay pat with someone like Mo.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Forsberg in a wheelchair could help this team score.

I've always liked his play, and was impressed to see him come back after his spleen was taken out.

I'd like to see him here, but not if we have to give up the farm (literally)
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Forsberg in a wheelchair could help this team score.
lol ... yeah probably Cornuck ... but the ironic part of it is that if we acquired him he literally just might have to do that !!!

Grizz
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

Cornuck wrote: I'd like to see him here, but not if we have to give up the farm (literally)
we would not have to give up the front hedge of the barnyard for this. its only money in the cap.

thats why I see no risk here. with as many UFA forwards next year this is a NO LOSE situation for the canucks.
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

I just on heard on Team 1040 that Forsberg has narrowed it down to 3 teams ... Colorado, Philadelphia and Vancouver !!!

Grizz
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

Grizzly wrote:I just on heard on Team 1040 that Forsberg has narrowed it down to 3 teams ... Colorado, Philadelphia and Vancouver !!!

Grizz
That's not really a surprise. All three teams have been front-runners for a while. I'd still say that Colorado and Phily have the edge on us though.
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

levelheaded wrote:
Grizzly wrote:I just on heard on Team 1040 that Forsberg has narrowed it down to 3 teams ... Colorado, Philadelphia and Vancouver !!!

Grizz
That's not really a surprise. All three teams have been front-runners for a while. I'd still say that Colorado and Phily have the edge on us though.
I agree however

Theodore or Luongo?

both teams are injured so that is a wash.

I think it comes down to Philly and Vancouver with Philly leading by a mile
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

mattola wrote:
levelheaded wrote:

Grizz
I agree however

Theodore or Luongo?

both teams are injured so that is a wash.

I think it comes down to Philly and Vancouver with Philly leading by a mile
Yeah Matty I would probably agree ... except that I think Forsberg is looking for more than a "rental" type contract ... Philly is pretty committed the next few years with contracts so I am not sure what they will do ... they may have to move some other guys to free up some room .... my gut though is to agree with you ... one way or another he will likely end up there.

Grizz