Getting time to fire Vigneault

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Getting time to fire Vigneault

Post by SRsez »

Because I can't take it anymore.

That was the worst game he's ever coached, and after three losses to the worst team in the league, it cannot be the players fault.

I've been a 50-50 guy on him since he signed, now it's more 80-20, and moving against him.

We're in 7th place in a dog fight instead of first place comfortably because we can't beat crap like the Kings?

Start the chant: Vigneault's got to go!
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)
Tukaram
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Tukaram »

Three points out of second place with over thirty games left? I agree. The coach has to go.

:roll:
SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

Yeah, okay EBL.

Do you think Vigneault will get them past the second round? Hell, do you wanna bet they'll win their next game vs. Minnesota?

3 points out of second? And if my aunt had balls......

Like I said "Vigneault's got to go!"
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

I'm not sure if it's time for him to go yet. I think a trade needs to be made before firing the coach. I know he coaches a defensive style of system, but if Nonis can pick up some offensive help, maybe things will change.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Frankly I can't believe it that people can turn that quick. Broken ankles every where

I was at the game last night Salo stunk, probably because he shouldn't have been playing, Mitchell was out, Ohlund first game back after a concussion, that leaves a under size "D" they picked up from the waiver wire, a kid, a "D" that doesn't enjoy the heavy lifting and Miller an uninspired 6th "D"

Luongo, played like it was the first game of the season

and

Last but not least the LA goalie had a great game

But hey lets throw out toys out the crib and can the coach.

Raymond by the way scored a nice opportunists goal with a great shot, don't see many of them today
cheers
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

AGGGHHHH

THE SKY IS FALLING

THE END IS NIGH

FIRE THE COACH

What is with this reactionary shit? Sure we haven't been playing well lately and something must be done, but firing the reigning Jack Adams winner that managed to turn a team that, other than in goal, was extremely average on paper into the winner of the toughest division in hockey.

I didn't see most of the game but Labarbera was really good last night. Any time you manage that many shots and only 3 goals things just aren't going your way. Luongo has been pretty average of late probably due to overwork/coming off an injury. Canning the coach right now wouldn't do anyone any good. Let's wait until after the allstar break and everyone is fulled rested up before we start making any snap decisions.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

levelheaded wrote:AGGGHHHH

THE SKY IS FALLING

THE END IS NIGH

FIRE THE COACH

What is with this reactionary shit? Sure we haven't been playing well lately and something must be done, but firing the reigning Jack Adams winner that managed to turn a team that, other than in goal, was extremely average on paper into the winner of the toughest division in hockey.

I didn't see most of the game but Labarbera was really good last night. Any time you manage that many shots and only 3 goals things just aren't going your way. Luongo has been pretty average of late probably due to overwork/coming off an injury. Canning the coach right now wouldn't do anyone any good. Let's wait until after the allstar break and everyone is fulled rested up before we start making any snap decisions.

Does this reaction remind you of another Canadian city, getting rid of a coach etc, thats right it sounds like a bunch of Torontonians bitching. What has Vancouver come to yuk! Can the coach, are we mad
cheers
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

The only way I see a reason to consider (CONSIDER, I say) firing AV is if the team still plays the way it's playing lately - not the way it was playing in November and even much of December. They have made mental errors in their own end on the break-out. They have lost their checks and thrown pucks around blindly. From centre ice to their goal line they have not been the same team.

I don't care about the system he employs. If it's a trap and it works, so be it. If he likes his big pluggers so be it (although putting Ritchie on the point still baffles me) because we won that way before. If there's a lack of secondary scoring, I would point to Mo's continued absence and a lack of action on Nonis' part.

Teams will stray and get lazy some times, but it's up to the coach to get them back to the standard. If Vigneault can't get them back after the break, he may have lost the room. If that's the case, you either change the team or change the coach. You ask me, it should be the former.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Broda
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Broda »

Does this reaction remind you of another Canadian city, getting rid of a coach etc, thats right it sounds like a bunch of Torontonians bitching. What has Vancouver come to yuk! Can the coach, are we mad

Really you are jus noticing that Vancouver like most other cities are full of fair weather fans? You have to realize that sucess brings more fair weather fans because oh hey the team is winning so lets watch. They aren't hardcore fans that try and watch every single moment and try and know every single stat. ITs how it was in Calgary when i was there and its how it is in Vancouver. After a bit of sucess fans expect it to always be that way and better.
Lets be honest guys Vigneault is the best chance that we have at a cup right now. He coaches defense first from the goalie out. Not every game is going to be a work of art and teams will go in slumps. They have some big injuries right now with guys in and out of the lineup. We all know that if they are healthy this is one of the best teams in the league when all lines are firing and Luongo is playing his best. Its just been a couple of bad weeks of hockey everyone should just calm down this is a good hockey club and they will turn things around ,the league is alot more competative now and its tough every night. Here is hoping they tighten up and get back in to the win column
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

levelheaded wrote:AGGGHHHH I didn't see most of the game but Labarbera was really good last night. Any time you manage that many shots and only 3 goals things just aren't going your way. Luongo has been pretty average of late probably due to overwork/coming off an injury. Canning the coach right now wouldn't do anyone any good. Let's wait until after the allstar break and everyone is fulled rested up before we start making any snap decisions.
In regard to the shots, this seems to be somewhat reminiscent of last season - making opposing goaltenders look like allstars. Lots of shots is, on the whole, a good thing, but when the shots are made by, for the most part, hands of stone, I am not sure that it really matters. The inability to find the holes in the goaltender's stance/guard just comes back to the lack of offensive talent on this team. Pluggers can grind, but snipers they are not.

Also, I don't think we can fairly put much blame on Luongo. The guy has carried the team on his back for basically all of last season and most of this one. For him to have some mortal moments is only reasonable. Those are the moments when a good team should be able to take the load for a while, but when it is nearly impossible for us to score more than 2 or 3 goals that doesn't leave him much margin for error.

Firing AV has been high on my list ever since he was hired, but I am not sure that now would be the right time. As much as I dislike his coaching style and his musical chair approach to line creation, begrudgingly, I must confess that he does have some good qualities as a coach. If Nonis doesn't wait until the off-season to re-evaluate he should at least give AV the benefit of an extended losing streak (not 4 or 5 games) before pulling the plug. If it becomes evident that he has lost the room, then there is merit in getting rid of him, but to get another coach and presumably totally revamp the playing style of the team mid-season isn't all that desirable.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Broda wrote:

Really you are jus noticing that Vancouver like most other cities are full of fair weather fans? You have to realize that sucess brings more fair weather fans because oh hey the team is winning so lets watch. They aren't hardcore fans that try and watch every single moment and try and know every single stat. ITs how it was in Calgary when i was there and its how it is in Vancouver. After a bit of sucess fans expect it to always be that way and better.
Lets be honest guys Vigneault is the best chance that we have at a cup right now. He coaches defense first from the goalie out. Not every game is going to be a work of art and teams will go in slumps. They have some big injuries right now with guys in and out of the lineup. We all know that if they are healthy this is one of the best teams in the league when all lines are firing and Luongo is playing his best. Its just been a couple of bad weeks of hockey everyone should just calm down this is a good hockey club and they will turn things around ,the league is alot more competative now and its tough every night. Here is hoping they tighten up and get back in to the win column
I supose I judge TO by the amount of bitching they do on TSN/Sportsnet. I don't hear as much about Vcr. To be honest though you don't hear much about Vancouver period. I hope you're not suggesting Vcr is as bad as TO ??
cheers
SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That's fucking hilari-ass. Now I'm a fair weather fan? Only if you're able to stick your head up your own ass! 38 years of watching practically every game, and now I'm a fair weather fan!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Seriously, you don't agree with me, you've got to come up with something better than that.

Or do none of you morons recall me screaming for Squeaky to get canned? That was about 2-3 years before any of you twigged to it, and even still some thought it was a bad idea.

Hello? Reality calling!

Vigneault will never get this team where it needs to be. I gave him the benefit of the doubt when he got hired, but that good will is now long gone.

It's time to go, Vigneault.
whistler
CC Veteran

Post by whistler »

Quite frankly, other than the score, I found the game very entertaining.

It's been years since the Canucks went out to trade chances.
They were battling for the puck, they were rushing the net, they were trying stretch passes and dipsy doodles all over the ice.

All this against a team with one of the worst, on paper, defences in the league.

The Kings goalie is all that stood between a Canucks blowout win and suffering defeat. Up until the King's first goal, I thought we were going to blow their doors off.

If we had won that game we would be praising the organization for celebrating Nazzy's 1000th game with a return to offensive hockey.

Unfortunately, Labarbera was having a god-like night and Luongo was merely human.

I've been concerned about the way this team's been playing since the Islanders' game. I might be confused about the roster from time to time but my concern was always on the players' lack of effort, jump and passion.

That wasn't the case against the Kings.
We were trying to play like Detroit but we couldn't get the puck in the net and our defence, and Bobby Lou, both had a rough night.
Shit happens; especially when you are playing an unfamiliar brand of hockey.

AV has a proven system with this, or something similar to this, roster.
It's a simple system and the guys can do it...but it's not a lot of fun.
All the team needs to do is return to the system and 'execute'.

As long as the team plays with heart and passion, and Luongo plays like he can, we can go as far as the gods let us. But let's not complain too much about boring, defensive hockey then.

I'll be the first to rag on the team when they slack off and don't race to and battle for the puck...if they fail to back check or drive to the net...
...but I'm not going to demand heads when the team plays good, fun hockey and Luongo has a bad night; any more than I would praise the team for a great game when Luongo steals it.

AV has a potent system though we haven't seen it since the first half of the Detroit game and we haven't seen it 'executed' since December. If we keep losing games it is because we are not playing the system, we're not playing with enough passion, or Luongo is having a bad night.

So far, I don't think AV has earned a dismissal.
...so long as he doesn't let the slide continue. :shock:

In any event, he's the best coach by far, with this roster, to turn things around.

I hate losing too, and I hate losing our position in the rankings ... but it's hard to be pissed off when the last game and a half was some of the more entertaining hockey I've watched this year. :lol:
Naslund Is King
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Naslund Is King »

Canucks are now in 8th place.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Canucks are now in 8th place.
and since we are pointing out the obvious,

we are 1 point out of 3rd.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.