How the...!?!?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Thor1379
AHL Prospect

How the...!?!?

Post by Thor1379 »

Not really sure which forum to post this in but it is Canuck related. Sit back for a moment....

So there I was (all good stories start with this...), watching TV and I just happened to be watching How I Met Your Mother, you know, the one with Doogie Howser. Anyways, one of the characters Robin, the hot one, is supposed to be from Canada and she's big into hockey. She ends up getting a boyfriend who used to play hockey. She's telling this story of how they went to a Rangers game (the show is based in NY) and how after the game she went down the dressing room and she was all excitied to meet MASON RAYMOND. Of course all the other characters have this blank look on their face when she finally says, "you know, the left winger for the Vancouver Canucks!" So Doogie says "What's the opposite of name dropping?"

Why did they choose Mason Raymond? Why not at least a player who is currently with the big club? Raymond has 9 games in the NHL and 1 cameo name in a big time sitcom...

I thought it was pretty funny...
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

I need to see a youtube video of this now. I wasn't even aware that How I Met Your Mother was still on the air.

Good for Raymond I guess, but man there are a million players they could've chosen other than him.
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Robin is played by Cobie Smulders who is from Vancouver.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

jokes are never funny when you explain them, but....

From the context (the punchline is "opposite of name-dropping") the player mentioned has to be relatively obscure. Anyone in the organisation with just a few NHL games would work equally well. Luongo or Naslund wouldn't.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

While we're on the subject of the Canucks on TV, a few months ago on PTI Kornheiser gave a shout out to "Moose Jaw, birthplace of Trevor Linden" at the end when he usually says goodnight Canada. A few days later, Wilbon was wearing a Canucks jersey during the show.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

Linden Is God wrote:While we're on the subject of the Canucks on TV, a few months ago on PTI Kornheiser gave a shout out to "Moose Jaw, birthplace of Trevor Linden"
I hope the people of Medicine Hat are at his gate with torches and pitchforks...!
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Jyrki21 wrote:
Linden Is God wrote:While we're on the subject of the Canucks on TV, a few months ago on PTI Kornheiser gave a shout out to "Moose Jaw, birthplace of Trevor Linden"
I hope the people of Medicine Hat are at his gate with torches and pitchforks...!
Wait I made a mistake in typing that, I meant Medicine Hat. My head's up my ass these days.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

... made a mistake
our lucky.

when sports people screw up here in Saskatchewan, we dump manure on thier neighbors lawn....
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

Actually, that's pretty funny.

What's even funnier, however, is the irony of this being discussed on an internet site where everyone actually knows who Mason Raymond is.
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Everybody loves Raymond...

(sorry, couldn't resist)
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Puck wrote:Everybody loves Raymond...

(sorry, couldn't resist)
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

Thor1379
AHL Prospect

Post by Thor1379 »

I guess that little plug on TV really helped Raymond...next thing you know he's up with the big club and scoring a goal....maybe the writers are Canuck fans..
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

Here's an audio sample of Mason Raymond's big TV moment.