Jovanovski

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Larionov
CC Veteran

Jovanovski

Post by Larionov »

Anyone see the early line on Jovo's season in Phoenix?

GP G A Pts PIM +/-
7 0 1 1 8 -9

Ouch. How would you like to be on the hook for $24 million for the next four years for THAT? And we think Naslund is delivering poor value for the money?

Now, is Jovo just off to a slow start, or is he mailing it in now that he signed his set for life contract down in a place with great weather, awesome golf and zero fan pressure?
Naslund Is King
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Naslund Is King »

Was Jovo booed his first game back here? I don't remember..

Anyways to be fair, he has pretty much nothing to work with....

Does Gretzky's awful coaching record hurt his legacy at all? I don't think so..
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I for one, was NEVER impressed with Jovo, and am not at all surprised at this...
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Jovo's contract was a joke - one that Pheonix will be burdened with for it's duration but I can't say that I feel all that sorry for them. I must confess I did appreciate that he played with heart, but I don't miss his giveaways.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

I'd still rather have Jovo than Naslund.
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

SRsez wrote:I'd still rather have Jovo than Naslund.
Hmmm ... that just might open up a can of worms around here .... lol

Grizz
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

Jovo's rotting away on a brutal team and an enormous contract. I sincerely doubt his numbers would be that bad if he stayed with the Canucks or another good team. His +/- is grossly inflated because of the quality of team he plays on and the fact he faces the top offensive line from other teams. With Jovo, the contract was stupid not because of his ability but because of his injury history. He simply became prone to injury his last few years here and that's why it was not worth it to commit that much money to him. I don't know if I would rather have him than Nazzy, as they both were cornerstones to the success of the Canucks in the early 2000s, but there's no questioning I would love to have him back at a reasonable salary. Jovo's got heart and the necessary leadership and balls out attitude you need for the playoffs. The giveways and mental lapses were a result of him trying to do too much. Does anyone remember how great he played for Team Canada in 2002? It was a situation where he didn't need to be "the man" on defense. On a team as defensively balanced as the Canucks this year (at least on paper) I think he would absolutely shine... save injury.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Blasphemy!!!!!! :)

But really come on now you would rather take a 7 million cap hit for someone who has one point in 7 games, is a minus 9 and can't play D and whose contract is until 2010/11 over a 6 million cap hit for someone who has 7 points and -5 in 9 games and is tailing off in their career but whose contract is over after this year???????????? Can't say I agree on that. Just think of the talent that we can sign after Nazzy's contract is over.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Larionov
CC Veteran

Post by Larionov »

DonCherry4PM wrote:
Blasphemy!!!!!! :)

But really come on now you would rather take a 7 million cap hit for someone who has one point in 7 games, is a minus 9 and can't play D and whose contract is until 2010/11 over a 6 million cap hit for someone who has 7 points and -5 in 9 games and is tailing off in their career but whose contract is over after this year???????????? Can't say I agree on that. Just think of the talent that we can sign after Nazzy's contract is over.
I think that this coming off-season, the summer of '08, is going to be the time when teams discover that flexibility is the key under the new CBA. The Canucks, free from Naslund's deal, are going to be able to re-tool next summer, taking that cap space to sign perhaps two mid range guys in order to boost our embarrassingly poor depth up front. At the same time, clubs such as the Coyotes and Bruins are going to be labouring under the weight of bad contracts given to the likes of Jovo and Chara.
SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

Jovo @ $7M is still a better value than Naslund @ $6M.
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)
F15 Driver
MVP
MVP

Post by F15 Driver »

Jovo was my favorite player at one time.
I have to say I miss number 55's intensity (and yes, he did cough up the puck way too many times in the last couple years) but he was a good Canuck.
Remember when he put Adam Deadmarsh to sleep with one punch?
He was fun to watch and was an integral part of those early 2000's teams.

Its too bad he with Wayne in the desert now.
F-15E Strike Eagle - Cadillac of the Skies!
Joe Rockhead
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Joe Rockhead »

Well put Rockalt. Jovo was great here. I certianly do miss him. SR way off!!
Don Cherry for P.M.
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Interesting point. One of the reasons Jovo was so successful here was because Crow liked his defensemen to jump into the play in the offensive zone.

Really, Jovo is a liability on the ice because he gets caught out of position. His barely above average skating doesn't compensate for it. He lets in more goals than he scores. However, his intensity and ability to change the momentum of the game was really invaluable. He is not a defenseman I would count on to protect a lead.

Definitely not worth $7m a year though. The Coyotes royally f*cked themselves over in that deal, as they have in the past 5 years.
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Jovo was great in the years he was here under Crow's direction... looking now though at the system AV is running ... he just wouldn't fit in ... his "liability" issues would completely contradict the way things are being done.

Grizz
magnum44
CC Veteran

Post by magnum44 »

I always liked him as a canuck but when Phoenix signed him I remember thinking thank Christ DN didn't drink that kool aid. He peaked during his years in Vancouver and I'm glad we didn't resign him.
You're only young once, but you can be immature forever