Frustrated Naslund Article

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

D13G0
AHL Prospect

Frustrated Naslund Article

Post by D13G0 »

Frustrated Naslund questions offensive systemCaptain says Canucks give away puck too easily

Brad Ziemer, Vancouver Sun
Published: Tuesday, October 23, 2007

RALEIGH, N.C. - The Vancouver Canucks have a frustrated captain on their hands.
Markus Naslund thinks the Canucks are spending too much time chasing the puck and not enough carrying it.
Naslund was clearly frustrated after the Carolina Hurricanes skated to a 3-1 win here Monday night and he seemed to question the team's offensive system.
He said the Canucks are too often dumping the puck into the opponent's zone and would like to see the team be more creative in its offensive attack.
"I think instead of supporting one another or making a play, we're either just flipping the puck out or flipping it in and then have to go chasing after it," he said. "Then it takes 25 or 30 seconds to get it back.
"I'd like us to have the puck more. I'd like the whole team to have the puck more. If you look at the good teams, they have got the puck. Look at a team like Detroit, that's their game and that's why they are so tough to play against because they are always supporting each other and holding onto the puck."
Monday night's game served as another example of Vancouver's struggles five-on-five. The Canucks are not creating much at even-strength and have had to rely on their power play to stay in many games this season. The Canucks have managed only 13 even-strength goals in nine games this season.
"We're not getting enough chances and I think we have to work too hard to get our chances compared to other teams," Naslund said. "I have my own views. I think we're throwing away way too many pucks instead of trying to be creative and not giving the puck away when we've got it."
Canuck coach Alain Vigneault commented on Vancouver's five-on-five struggles before Naslund spoke in the dressing room.
"Five on five we need to be better, obviously," Vigneault said. "But there's not a lot of room out there."

I love this. I really do. Finally the captain spills his guts about the playing of this team other than what he usaully says "We have to work harder", "We didn't play a full 60." He actually questions AV's coaching skills which I love.

Seriously people...we need more offence. Burrows is the only player on this team whos a + with a +4. That's not right.
whistler
CC Veteran

Post by whistler »

Burrows is playing with passion...every shift.

That is the difference .
Last edited by whistler on Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Naslund Is King
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Naslund Is King »

He's 100% correct here.. what has AV been thinking this year? Weaver over Edler so many times?

AV is so overrated it's not even funny(hopefully people realize this soon)... can't believe he won the Jack Adams last year, that should have gone to Nolan....just look at the hate Crow gets, I still take Crow over AV anyday
whistler
CC Veteran

Post by whistler »

I think AV earned the Jack Adams last year.

I'm waiting for him to start earning it again this year.
D13G0
AHL Prospect

Post by D13G0 »

Burrows is the best player for the team right now. Never gives up..he's the energizer bunny.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

whistler wrote:I think AV earned the Jack Adams last year.

I'm waiting for him to start earning it again this year.
I would agree that he did earn the Adams last year, even if I don't appreciate how he did it - he did.

I know this is VERY early on and I will probably get some grief for saying this but does anyone else wonder if the team is somewhat resentful of his coaching style? It just seems that everyone bought into the system last year but that this year they aren't. I hope that I am totally wrong in this - that they come out of it flying on all gears but statements such as those made by Naslund make me wonder a bit. It could be I am just expecting too much given last season, but I was hoping the team would build off its success instead of digress.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

So, anyone want to bet that Naslund won't step up & take responsibility? :roll:

Pot, meet kettle.
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)
sic puppy
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by sic puppy »

Reading that article, I'm not sure he's questioning AV's coaching style, rather than his team mates decisions with the puck.

Unless the whole article isn't printed, Naslund is suggesting that they spend more time with the puck than chasing it.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

I don't think he is critizising the coach either. on an interview on PPV, he mentioned that when the team is all on board the system, the team plays well.. I think its more a shot at the team to get on board the system.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

We aren't even 10 games into the schedule ... I think we need to relax. AV is NOT a bad coach and I think at this point we are getting way to anxious.

As much as I agree with Naslund's comments about puck possession we have to keep in mind that we were very successful under AV's coaching method last year.

The facts are, the guys aren't doing their job out there ... they look lazy at times taking penalties, they don't seem to be in the game mentally and there is alot of loose checks and poor marking all over the place. Passes look sloppy and good decisions on the ice aren't being made with any consistency ... As far as puck possession goes ... well maybe we should start by winning some more face offs so we aren't chasing all the time ... right now we are dead last in the NHL in % ... something like 47%.

I'm not trying to discredit Naslund's comments because I do agree with him on some things but there are a lot factors to take into consideration before we start throwing AV off the side of the boat or criticizing the coach too much.

I guarantee you that if we had a 8-0 start we'd be saying how good AV was and that he was just following up his Jack Adams year. Obviously as that is not the case we need to make some adjustments... on and off the ice... but I certainly don't agree that our record to date is a result of his poor coaching.

Grizz
clavin
AHL Prospect

Post by clavin »

I do not think Naslund is questioning the coach's style or speaking against him. I recall AV saying close to the same thing: "If we possess the puck more, we'll get the chances."

I don't think dumping the puck in and chasing it is what the coach is preaching. I think it is the result of players on the team lacking confidence to carry the puck in and therefore dumping it. Naslund is expressing his frustration with that and that they aren't following the game plan.

(first post... but have been reading the board for a couple years).
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

The Province printed something of a Vigneault reply... great, the media are going to spin this into a conflict. (Perhaps they can tie in Wally Buono and Casey Printers).

The reality is the Canucks should carry the puck more, whatever the cause of them not doing it. If hockey kept time-of-possession stats, the Nucks would be shamefully low, and that was the case last year too.
clavin
AHL Prospect

Post by clavin »

The "conflict" was all over the Bmac and Rintoul show this morning too. I sometimes wish the media would use a little more intelligence and benefit of the doubt when discussing stories. Their assumption of a conflict should not be touted as fact.

True, they did mention that this is their assumption, but to make a good story, they over-assume. Then the average fan will generally misinterpret it all and get their panties tied in a knot.
sic puppy
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by sic puppy »

clavin wrote: ...they did mention that this is their assumption, but to make a good story, they over-assume
Unfortunately this is what sells in the media. In this instance in a hockey mad market an opinion based on a sound bite takes on a life of it's own (and for the most part, the bite is taken way out of context).
clavin wrote: The "conflict" was all over the Bmac and Rintoul show this morning too. I sometimes wish the media would use a little more intelligence and benefit of the doubt when discussing stories.
An oxymoron if I ever heard one. :lol:
SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

smalien wrote:Reading that article, I'm not sure he's questioning AV's coaching style, rather than his team mates decisions with the puck.

Unless the whole article isn't printed, Naslund is suggesting that they spend more time with the puck than chasing it.
That's a great idea, but he could start with himself. His passes are amongst the worst on the team.
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)