Bryan Allen

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

jchockey
MVP
MVP

Bryan Allen

Post by jchockey »

Has really become the solid stay-at-home he was projected to be. He's now on the Panthers' first pairing with Jay Bouwmeester as one of the alternate captains.

I was sad to see him go in the Luongo trade, but I guess we had to give up something.

Just a little sentimental post for one of my favourite defensemen.
Ilevakam
CC Veteran

Post by Ilevakam »

I sincerely share your post passion for this guy. As happy as I was to get Luongo, I teared at the loss of Allen. He was straight up bad ass. He cleared the net, blocked shots, and beat the poop out of so many rival players. I am proud to say that he was brought up in the Canucks system
Kowch
CC Veteran

Post by Kowch »

I liked watching him play when I was living in Florida.

In NHL 08, I manged to trade Sopel straight up for him. Made my day :D
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Yeah, I loved Big Bad Bryan Allan too. I didn't mind loosing Bert and Auld in the trade, but I hated loosing Allen. I'm sure Keenan insisted Allen be a part of the package though, so I'm sure Nonis had to include him.
magnum44
CC Veteran

Post by magnum44 »

Allen really would have fit in well on the new team. I was hoping they could have brought him back as a free agent but I guess FLA really needed to have something to show for giving up Luongo.
You're only young once, but you can be immature forever
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

I agree with all of you, Bryan Allen was always one of my favorite young players. He had that toughness but could play the game, and gave everything he had. I would have loved to have seen him sign here as a UFA after last season but I guess the warm weather in Florida got to him. He would look perfect in our D right now, on our 2nd or 3rd pairing. I don't know how that'd work...? Ohlund-Salo, Mitchell-Bieksa, Allen-Krycheck? Could swap him with Bieksa but who would you rather give the min too?
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

I hated seeing him go too but you have to give to get.
I felt the same way losing Peca in the Mogilny deal...I was elated that we landed a superstar like Alex but knew we'd miss those open ice juggernaut hits on Selanne he used to deliver.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Didn't want to see him go and if it was for most any other player I would have been upset. For a guy like Luongo I would have traded pretty much any player on the roster.
Bartman
MVP
MVP

Post by Bartman »

Allen was one of my favorites as well and I was holding out a sliver of hope that we might get him back when he hits UFA status but that's a long way off now with his new contract.

I was sad to see him in a Panther's uniform but thrilled at seeing Luongo in Vancouver's. Every time I get a bit misty at the thought of losing Allen I listen to a clip of Jim Hughson saying "GREAT SAVE LUONGO!" and all is better.
R.I.P. Luc.
Joe Rockhead
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Joe Rockhead »

Allen would definatly be a step up from Mitchell. But like many of you posted you have to give up somthing to get the best player in his position in the league like Loungo. Not sure we needed to go quite that far, maybe a Biron + core would have gotten it done.
Don Cherry for P.M.
CanuckFlash
AHL Prospect

Post by CanuckFlash »

I was disappointed he was in the Luongo trade as well but I am pleased to hear that he is doing so well in Florida. I watched him last January in Florida against the Penguins. He received an award at the beginning of the game for Player of the Month. I hope that his career continues to improve.
Momesso
CC Veteran

Post by Momesso »

It's funny because when we drafted him, it seemed like a big dropoff from Brad Stuart, and especially after Stuart got off to a good start to his career with the Sharks, while Bryan suffered a serious injury and had his development stunted by at least a couple of years.

Looking back, Allen IMO is clearly the better defenseman, and the type of guy we could sorely use on the back end. Mitchell is plenty gritty, but as mentioned above, Allen is badass.

I do see shades of Allen's situation in Bourdon though. It took Allen a long time to recover, and people said his lateral and backward skating would keep him from being a core NHLer. Well, it didn't. And Bourdon will continue to recover from his injury and get back onto his development curve, and as his toolbox begins to take shape to hold all those tools, he's going to be a beauty too. Nobody in this organization hits like Luc, and I think we'll be rewarded with patience.
Eyes on the Prize
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Momesso wrote:It's funny because when we drafted him, it seemed like a big dropoff from Brad Stuart, and especially after Stuart got off to a good start to his career with the Sharks, while Bryan suffered a serious injury and had his development stunted by at least a couple of years.

Looking back, Allen IMO is clearly the better defenseman, and the type of guy we could sorely use on the back end. Mitchell is plenty gritty, but as mentioned above, Allen is badass.

I do see shades of Allen's situation in Bourdon though. It took Allen a long time to recover, and people said his lateral and backward skating would keep him from being a core NHLer. Well, it didn't. And Bourdon will continue to recover from his injury and get back onto his development curve, and as his toolbox begins to take shape to hold all those tools, he's going to be a beauty too. Nobody in this organization hits like Luc, and I think we'll be rewarded with patience.
Hopefully our patience will pay off when Bourdon absolutely lays out Anze Kopitar...

I can see it happening...