I think I Know a Few Posters Who'll Enjoy this...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

levelheaded
MVP
MVP

I think I Know a Few Posters Who'll Enjoy this...

Post by levelheaded »

Bartman
MVP
MVP

Post by Bartman »

Personally I feel for the guy. I was never a fan of his post season results but he had heart and wore his emotions on his sleeve. I'd root against him in an instant if he was playing against us but as for taking glee with his career heading towards the toilet primarily due to injuries? That's just cold.
R.I.P. Luc.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Re: I think I Know a Few Posters Who'll Enjoy this...

Post by DonCherry4PM »

levelheaded wrote:http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=218857&hubname=

Clouts on Waivers. :lol:
You beat me to it. First thing I thought when I saw the article was posting it here ;-)

Have to say I also feel for the guy. I never thought he was a bad goalie - seemed to have all the right physical attributes for the game just not the mental ones. (edit: Let me rectify that. I did think he was a bad goalie just not a total loss - he had lots of potential but was just never able to get his head right)
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

Injuries have killed his career. Was he an elite goalie? No but he was a solid starter. I liked him in Vancouver but he was never a Luongo. Good Luck Dan, I hope the injury bug gets whipped and you make a successful comeback. If not, then all the best in whatever you do.
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

Enjoy?

What's there to enjoy about being a Cassandra? Hers is the tragedy of the prophet who is ignored by all those around her. It's a sad, sick and twisted tale . . . another chapter in the dark novel of botched hopes and frustrated dreams which is Canucks history.

Sadly, the WCE-era Canucks could have been contenders for the Cup - had it not been for one guy holding us back. One guy. The pity is that management (and many fans) obstinately refused to accept what many of us identified as being the team's obvious Achilles Heel - as early as his second dunderheaded, mind-blowingly moronic, stupid and wholly vacuous poke check on Drury in the series against the Avs.

A team cannot succeed in this League with second rate goaltending. No offense, no matter how talented, can make up for having a sieve in net.

The silver lining in this story? Well, 'Nucks management seems to have finally learned a lesson from the soul-numbing rot of the Cloutier debacle. They have now built a team from the net out. Huzzah!
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.
Bret H
MVP
MVP

Post by Bret H »

Cloutier struggled with injuries last season, missing 44 games with a hip injury. The Canucks reportedly want Cloutier to recover fully from his injuries in the minors
Written by a wishful Kings fan, hoping he's gonna wake up tomorrow and that trade has never happened....?

I also feel sorry for Cloutier though.
BigBert
CC Rookie

Post by BigBert »

y'know what? he'll still be driving a brand new range rover, and i'm still driving a '94 chev...that i have to baby because i can't afford to replace it. fuck him. he ain't starving.
Disclaimer: This is an internet message board. The messages you read and their authors are to be taken seriously at your own risk. Remember, you don’t have ANY idea who these “people” really are, do you?
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

It would appear the NHL career of goaltender Dan Cloutier is over…
Today the LA. Kings placed Cloutier on waivers…and plan to send him down to the minors…
As a result…Cloutier will not be with the Kings when they open the regular season at the end of the month in London, England…

There is certainly the possibility of Cloutier being re-called in the case of an injury…
But it is highly unlikely he will be claimed by another team…

Here’s the problem…
Cloutier has 2 years left on his contract at $3.1 million per season…
Any team willing to take a gamble would be on the hook for half that amount with the Kings picking up the rest…

That still works out to over $1.5 million per season…

That’s a lot for a goaltender who can not seem to stay healthy and has never shown the ability to win in the playoffs…

Here is a look at his recent medical record…
Last year Cloutier missed 44 games…thanks to a hip injury…
The season before in Vancouver he missed 60 games with a knee injury…
In 2004 Cloutier went down in game 3 of the Calgary series and was gone for the rest of the playoffs…
It is the playoffs that have been the scene of Cloutier’s biggest nightmares…
In 2002 the Canucks won the first two games in Detroit…
Game 3 in Vancouver was tied 1…all late in the second period…when Nik Lidstrom beat Cloutier from center ice…
As soft as that goal was…the real damage was the meltdown that followed…
The Canucks gave up 14 goals in the next 3 games and Cloutier was pulled in games 5 and 6…

In 2003…the Canucks were up 3 games to 1 to Minnesota…
Then came another meltdown…16 goals in 3 games…including 4 straight in game 7…
The sad part of all this…is Dan Cloutier is a quality person…
When you understand that…you can understand why so many coaches and general managers have supported him all these years…

Unfortunately today in Los Angeles…that support ran out…

DP
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040
randymeeks
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by randymeeks »

Sadly, the WCE-era Canucks could have been contenders for the Cup - had it not been for one guy holding us back.
Anyone who believes this to be true is naive. As bad as Cloutier's meltdowns were, the only way a Crawford system will be successful in the playoffs is if they have a goalie like a Roy, Brodeur, or Luongo in the line-up. And not every team can have a goaltender of that calibre. What would it have taken to pick up a goaltender like Luongo via a trade? Naslund? Bertuzzi? Picking up a franchise goaltender is impossible unless the guy who you are making the trade with is as insane as Mike Keenan was when he traded Luongo to us. Or you drafted him. It ran just a little deeper than just who was between the pipes.
38 years without a Stanley Cup and counting.
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

I would agree with you if the WCE era was during a salary-cap era. It wasn't. The Canucks had a great lineup back then - better than the one now (except Luongo of course). There were goalies out there the Canucks could have picked up that were not named Luongo or Brodeur who were a HELL of a lot better than Cloutier. The best Brian Burke could do back then was pick up a Johan Hedberg or a Peter Skudra.

Marc Crawford and Brian Burke both should have been a little less stubborn and loyal to understand that Cloutier couldn't win the Canucks the big game. And it cost them.

dp

randymeeks wrote:
Sadly, the WCE-era Canucks could have been contenders for the Cup - had it not been for one guy holding us back.
Anyone who believes this to be true is naive. As bad as Cloutier's meltdowns were, the only way a Crawford system will be successful in the playoffs is if they have a goalie like a Roy, Brodeur, or Luongo in the line-up. And not every team can have a goaltender of that calibre. What would it have taken to pick up a goaltender like Luongo via a trade? Naslund? Bertuzzi? Picking up a franchise goaltender is impossible unless the guy who you are making the trade with is as insane as Mike Keenan was when he traded Luongo to us. Or you drafted him. It ran just a little deeper than just who was between the pipes.
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040
paddy
CC Veteran

Post by paddy »

Meerschaum wrote:Enjoy?

What's there to enjoy about being a Cassandra? Hers is the tragedy of the prophet who is ignored by all those around her. It's a sad, sick and twisted tale . . . another chapter in the dark novel of botched hopes and frustrated dreams which is Canucks history.

Sadly, the WCE-era Canucks could have been contenders for the Cup - had it not been for one guy holding us back. One guy. The pity is that management (and many fans) obstinately refused to accept what many of us identified as being the team's obvious Achilles Heel - as early as his second dunderheaded, mind-blowingly moronic, stupid and wholly vacuous poke check on Drury in the series against the Avs.

A team cannot succeed in this League with second rate goaltending. No offense, no matter how talented, can make up for having a sieve in net.

The silver lining in this story? Well, 'Nucks management seems to have finally learned a lesson from the soul-numbing rot of the Cloutier debacle. They have now built a team from the net out. Huzzah!
Amen to that... all those Cloutier lovers out there AND THEY KNOW WHO THEY ARE who used to defend this guy to the death and come with excuse after excuse as to why his performance came up lacking this has got to be a tough day...

I almost get angry when I here people say I feel bad for Dan... This player almost singlehandedly held this franchise back... I'm not saying this team was one without flaws cause there was plenty but at that position we were locked in... As bad as he was and his Career playoff stats of 3.31 gaa and a SPECTACULAR .872 save percentage tells what a quality goalie he was in a big spot... But what really frustrates is the fact that he was never pushed...

What if Burke the resident genius(SARCASM) decided to bring a guy in here to actually PUSH him or better yet be able to run with the ball... Lest we forget that Cloutier after game 1 vs the Avs got the hook in favour of Essensa only to get back in the nets cause Essensa got hurt in that series... he finished that series with a sparkling 4.63 gaa and a .842%... The following year he got the hook again but this time finished the series on the bench vs the Wings... They beat the Blues possibly the only team in the NHL with more playoff baggage than ours and then proceeds to sh*t the bed bigtime against the Wild in game 7 where he surrendered 4 goals on 16 shots...

Where would that team have been had we decided to follow the Wild or the Ranger model with Beezer and Richter blueprint as far as goaltending went... Two guys that actually pushed each other competed against each other instead of what we were forced fed here which was, Dan's our guy and we will bring in a guy to play 20 games who isn't as good and not a serious threat for a number 1 job... We cut of our own nose in spite of our face... THAT IS THE LEGACY... MISSED OPPORTUNITY...

In a league where you need lights out goaltending to win and advance and repeat that process til you get to 16 we never got to 8... Like I said this club wasn't without flaws But the biggest one was a goalie whose CAREER PLAYOFF STATS ARE 3.31 gaa and a save percentage of .872 although the Cloutier lovers and they know full well who they are will tell ya how special it is to win 30 games a year... Isn't that right Brian??? :twisted:
whether you like it or don't like it learn to live with it because its the best thing going today...
Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Mikodat »

Ok... I have been a critic of Cloutier from about the third game he played in a Nucks uniform.. but lets remember the legacy of bad goaltending and poor defensive hockey that was the Canucks for many years.. Thank you Mr Burke... and Mr Crawford.. Burke for a bad trade.. sending a premium ( at the time ) dman - Adrian Aucoin ( yeah Crawford didn't like him ) , for a mediocre ( at best ), goaltender - Cloutier and the rewarding his terrible playoff record with a 3.2 mill contract.. Crawford for overplaying him knowing he had chronic injury problems ( and chronic melt downs too )..

Now we got responsible management and a coach that looks for merit not favoritism.

R. I. P. Dan Cloutier ..

Go Canucks :)
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

I've always loved Clouts because he plays his heart out for his team mates every night. The '04 series against Calgary, Dan blew out his knee because he was trying to do everything he could to stop that puck. Also as it's been said, as a person he was just a great guy to be around on and off the ice. I really feel for the guy. If it weren't for injuries he could have had a solid career. Not Luongo caliber of course, but those are few and far between.... We all forget he was the first and only (I believe? statisticians correct me if I'm wrong) Canuck goalie to get back-to-back-to-back 30 win season.

Oh well. Cheers to ya Dan :towel: :drunk: :towel:
Naslund Is King
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Naslund Is King »

*sigh*

He was the reason why we didn't get to the finals in 03.
Farhan Lalji

Re: I think I Know a Few Posters Who'll Enjoy this...

Post by Farhan Lalji »

levelheaded wrote:http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=218857&hubname=

Clouts on Waivers. :lol:
I don't know if I'm "happy" at Clouts being on waivers. I have a soft spot for anyone who played with the Canucks for a number of years. Like another poster in this thread mentioned, I feel bad for Cloutier because I know how much of a passionate guy he was.

I hope Cloutier can rebound from his injuries and have a decent career (except when he plays us of course ;)).