Auld

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

volsungr
CC Veteran

Auld

Post by volsungr »

Auld will be in Phoenix this year.

Tom Hall
MinnesotaCanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by MinnesotaCanuck »

sk8er
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by sk8er »

Well, I hope he sucks against us!!! 8-)
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

I just don't get it. Phoenix now has Aebischer, Auld and Telqvist.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
randymeeks
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by randymeeks »

This is what happens when you have Wayne Gretzky making his fair share of your player personnel decisions.
Last edited by randymeeks on Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
38 years without a Stanley Cup and counting.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

randymeeks wrote:

This is what happens when you have Wayne Gretzky making his fair hare of your player personnel decisions.
It's true, he is horrible in that aspect.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

randymeeks
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by randymeeks »

At least we can take a little bit of solace in knowing that as long as Gretzky is in charge of the Coyotes, they will never threaten our team. We can just bomb his team the same way his mid-80's Oiler teams bombed ours.

Ironic that Phoenix has 3 good backup goaltenders but not one real starter.
MinnesotaCanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by MinnesotaCanuck »

I think it makes reasonable sense. Tellqvist has an $800k salary for 07/08 and Aebischer signed for $600k (per NHLPA.com). After the Aebischer signing, GM Don Maloney referred to it as "the next step in creating depth at the goaltending position" - NOT the final step. Even assuming they signed Auld for his 06/07 salary (~$1.5M), they should have three decent goaltenders they can platoon for less than $3M next year. Tellqvist is signed through 08/09, but the other two are on one-year deals. I'm not sure if any are on two-ways, but Tellqvist did have 3 AHL appearances at the beginning of last season.

I don't see the problem with this signing.
randymeeks
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by randymeeks »

I don't see the problem with this signing.

The problem is that all 3 of those goaltenders aren't starters. They are good backups at best.

We all saw Auld crap the bed at the end of the disaster that was the Canuck 2005-06 season and prove that he will likely never be a true starter. Depth is good, but it doesn't mean much of anything if all you are going to do is play musical chairs with three good backups.

I suppose Gretzky is destined to coach this mess of a team to yet another horrible season.
puckhead
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by puckhead »

[quote="MinnesotaCanuck". Even assuming they signed Auld for his 06/07 salary (~$1.5M), they should have three decent goaltenders they can platoon for less than $3M next year. [/quote]

$600k, 2- way deal.

It was not a buyer's market for goalies this year. Eddie the flying-high Eagle is still looking for work. :)
----------------------------
We got LUONGO!!!!!!!!!!
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

Linden Is God wrote:
randymeeks wrote:

This is what happens when you have Wayne Gretzky making his fair hare of your player personnel decisions.
Even though ownership in Phoenix got rid of Mike Barnett and a few others, the truth is that until Wayne Gretzky is really out of the picture, the Phoenix Coyotes will not really improve. It's commonly known within hockey circles about the FOG (Friends of Gretzky).

This is a team that had one of the BEST goalie coaches in Benoit Allaire (brother of Francois who is the goalie coach in Anaheim). Benoit Allaire had Sean Burke playing like an all-star in Phoenix a number ofyears ago, who had Brian Boucher (yes, remember him?) set an NHL record for consecutive minutes without letting in a goal and then Gretzky came on the scene and Allaire ends up leaving and going to NY to coach Henrik Lundquist. Guess who replaced Allaire? Yup, a member of the FOG - Grant 'Cocaine' Fuhr.

Seen any great goaltending in Phoenix the past few years?

Just one example I might add.

dp
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

DavidPratt_ wrote:
Even though ownership in Phoenix got rid of Mike Barnett and a few others, the truth is that until Wayne Gretzky is really out of the picture, the Phoenix Coyotes will not really improve. It's commonly known within hockey circles about the FOG (Friends of Gretzky).

This is a team that had one of the BEST goalie coaches in Benoit Allaire (brother of Francois who is the goalie coach in Anaheim). Benoit Allaire had Sean Burke playing like an all-star in Phoenix a number ofyears ago, who had Brian Boucher (yes, remember him?) set an NHL record for consecutive minutes without letting in a goal and then Gretzky came on the scene and Allaire ends up leaving and going to NY to coach Henrik Lundquist. Guess who replaced Allaire? Yup, a member of the FOG - Grant 'Cocaine' Fuhr.

Seen any great goaltending in Phoenix the past few years?

Just one example I might add.

dp
Not to mention any decent goalie prospects.

Quite frankly what I see here is Phoenix gearing up for the Tavares sweeps, whether it's this year or the next. We're going to see a Senator style of tanking in Phoenix whichever year Tavares is made eligible. Quite frankly it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Tavares is eligible this year with a little help from Gretz.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

mr perfect
MVP
MVP

Post by mr perfect »

Maybe Maloney has a plan. Wait one season, watch the power struggle unfold between Keenan and Sutter in Calgary. After Sutter has been fired and Keenan is the new GM, Maloney can trade Auld, Matthew Spiller and Shane Doan to the Phlegms for Kiprasoff in return before he's UFA. Sign MK to a long term deal and be in postion to get Tavares in 2009. Along with Turris, instant Stanley Cup contender. Now if he can just get rid of Janet's husband.............................
whistler
CC Veteran

Post by whistler »

I've thought well of Auld since he came here.

He did well in his guest roles previous to 2005 then he was thrown into the starter's position, at age 24, in his first year full-time in the NHL.
Goalies rarely hit their prime before their late 20's.

He won 33 games out of 67 played with a .902 save percentage on a team in the North West division that refused to backcheck.

He faced almost 2000 shots and only 190 of them got past him.

What more could you ask of the guy? He showed a lot of potential with us and, given the right team, good coaching, and the stars aligning correctly...he could still become a quality 1a goalie.

I don't think Gretzky made a mistake with Auld.
I wish him well in Phoenix and wouldn't be surprised if he shines... so long as it isn't against us 8-)
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

I don't think it's so much making a mistake with signing him, but Phoenix already had 2 goalies. It makes you wonder what they're up to.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!