Oilers offer Vanek offer sheet -$50M - Sabres Match

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Oilers offer Vanek offer sheet -$50M - Sabres Match

Post by mattola »

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=212929&hubname=nhl

The Edmonton Oilers have made a huge splash in the restricted free agent pool.

Sources tell TSN that the team has signed forward Thomas Vanek to a seven-year, $50 million offer sheet, a signing that carries a price tag of four first round picks as compensation to the Buffalo Sabres if the team chooses not to retain him.
Last edited by mattola on Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
nuxfanindallas
CC Veteran

Post by nuxfanindallas »

This has got to be the 2nd most idiotic move in the history of the Oilers.....it's one thing to sign him to that kind of a deal after two full seasons, but quite another to give up 4 FIRST ROUNDERS IN THE PROCESS!!! I guess this is the only way Edmonton is going to be able to attract players.....

As a Canucks fan, I can't say I'm disappointed.....
Bartman
MVP
MVP

Post by Bartman »

Wow. I knew Lowe was getting desperate but...wow!

If Buffalo matches Lowe has shown how desperate he is and other GM's are going to treat him like a vulture treats a dying coyote. If Buffalo let's him go the Oil will have the noose of that contract for years to come and lose the ability to draft top prospects with all the picks they would give up.

Wow. After losing their co-captains Buffalo can't affoard to lose another top line player. I bet they'll match. Wow.
R.I.P. Luc.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

omfg.

I would hate to be an Oil OR a Sabres fan right now.....

Instant hate.
Last edited by Madcombinepilot on Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

either way one of these teams will be drastically changed for the next 3-4 years. Buffalo has taken devastating hits and Edmonton cant attract flies to their s#$t pile.

I feel for their fans. I wouldnt want it to happen here.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

This is just stupid. If I'm Regier, I walk away. Edmonton will still suck, the Sabres will get decent draft picks. Lowe is showing how desperate he is right now.

I guess we'll see what's said during the Sabres press conference at 12:30 EST.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Unreal ... in todays NHL with drafts being so important that is an absolutely horrible deal .... I hope the Oilers have their cupboards already fully stocked cause that doesn't make alot of sense ... Vanek is good but he isn't going to carry the team ...

Grizz
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

This is a guy desperate to save his job and the future be damned. The Oilers are going to quite possibly be worse than the team that lost all those games down the stretch.

Buffalo will match anyways as they can't afford to lose Vanek on top of Briere and Drury. Atleast I assume so. I don't think this offer forces buffalo into any sort of trade talks either.

Edit: Apparently buffalo did match it.
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

Buffalo has matched.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=212929&hubname=

Lowe loses again and comes off as the biggest assclown in the League since Clarke lost his marbles.

Hmmmn. Maybe they should run some tests on Lowe for dementia.
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

I hope Buffalo extends a huge offer sheet to Pitkanen.
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

I guess the other thread was right: Edmonton was pissed, and they took out their agrression on another small-market team.

Seriously, you have to assume that anyone's going to match an RFA offer sheet when the guy's any good. Remember how 29 GMs reacted to the Kesler signing last summer; it's not much less of a no-brainer with a guy like Vanek, even if four Oiler first-rounders sounds lipsmacking. All Lowe did was make enemies here; I don't think there was a realistic chance of them actually getting their man.

Look what we have this summer: low-profile teams getting raped and turning against each other while the Philadelphias and Colorados of this world continue to sit in their sedan chairs, margarita in hand, and watch.
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

:(

Why does everything bad happen to us Sabres fans? $7 freaking Million for Vanek now? If we'd resigned either Briere or Drury I would've happily taken those 4 first round picks (which have to come from Edmonton, so they will be high). Vanek wasn't even that terrific last year. He fed off Briere most of the season, watch him fall to a 25 goal scorer this year. This is just about the worst month in Sabres history. Other then being cheated out of a cup.

The Canuck fan in me likes how desperate the Oilers are getting though :?
magnum44
CC Veteran

Post by magnum44 »

Desperate move by Lowe but I guess he is under pressure to show the fans/owners that he is doing all that he can to right the ship. 4 1st rounders on top of a 7 mill salary is pretty steep for Vanek. Personally I would can lowe before he completely mortgages the teams future to try and save his job.
You're only young once, but you can be immature forever
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Re: Oilers offer Vanek offer sheet -$50M - Sabres Match

Post by DavidPratt_ »

mattola wrote:http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=212929&hubname=nhl

The Edmonton Oilers have made a huge splash in the restricted free agent pool.

Sources tell TSN that the team has signed forward Thomas Vanek to a seven-year, $50 million offer sheet, a signing that carries a price tag of four first round picks as compensation to the Buffalo Sabres if the team chooses not to retain him.
This is an example of a desperate GM overpaying. Some GMs have this belief that the goal is to make a 'big splash' at the trading deadline or during free agency. The GOAL is to win the Stanley Cup. Edmonton won't win the Stanley Cup by getting Vanek and they are crippling their future by giving up draft picks.

Vancouver needs to do something - luckily they are not doing something stupid like this.

dp
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

It's a desperate move by Lowe and a stupid one. but it isn't stupid for the reason of offering a RFA a big contract. It's stupid because Buffalo was always going to match and it was obvious. Lowe didn't need Regeir to tell him the Sabres were going to match yet Regeir did just that last night.

As a general strategy i don't think it is necessarily stupid when you have a large amount of young players like the Oilers do. And it will happen more and more. GMs who get pissed at the idea better get a thick skin and learn how to exploit it for themselves.

Now if Lowe had picked a big name RFA later in the summer when a team is pushing the cap he makes a potentially astute move.

And don't let Regeir off the hook here. I believe he had a chance to sign Vanek to a 4 yr/$16 mil extension during the season. he htne neglected to get Vanek tied up before the free agency period. Just as Nonis made an error by leaving Kesler so long so to did the Sabres make an error with Vanek. They also made an error with Drury....they had negotiated an extension last summer for $5 mil a year and both sides agreed on it. Drury waited for the contract to sign and it never came....it;s why Drury was upset with Buffalo management this past season and why he was always going to hit the UFA market.