Canucks Sign Byron Ritchie (Isbister Confirmed as well)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Canucks Sign Byron Ritchie (Isbister Confirmed as well)

Post by mattola »

CANUCKS SIGN CENTRE BYRON RITCHIE AND WINGER BRAD ISBISTER

http://www.canucks.com/pressreleases.as ... =31&id=735

Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks Senior Vice-President and General Manager Dave Nonis announced today that the Canucks have signed centre Byron Ritchie and winger Brad Isbister. In keeping with club policy, no financial terms of the deal will be released.

Ritchie, 30, comes to Vancouver after having played the 2006-07 season with the Calgary Flames. The 5’10â€￾, 190-pound centre registered 14 points (8-6-14) and 68 penalty minutes in 64 games as well as 10 penalty minutes in one playoff game. The Burnaby, B.C. native has appeared in 253 career NHL games, recording 47 points (22-25-47) and 293 penalty minutes with three NHL teams.

The centre was originally selected 165th overall in the 1995 NHL Entry Draft by the Hartford Whalers.

Isbister, 30, joins the Canucks after having registered five points (1-4-5) and 14 penalty minutes in 19 games with the New York Rangers during the 2006-07 season. The Edmonton, Alberta native also saw time in four playoff games, registering two penalty minutes. The nine year NHL veteran has recorded 211 points (100-111-211) and 577 penalty minutes in 486 games played with five NHL teams. Isbister has represented Canada on the International stage on a number of occasions including the 2000 and 2001 World Championships and winning a Gold Medal at the 1997 World Junior Championships.

The 6’4â€￾, 227-pound left-winger was originally drafted 67th overall in the 1995 NHL Entry Draft by the Winnipeg Jets.
Kel
MVP
MVP

Post by Kel »

I hope that still means Josh Green is back. He's one of the best penalty killers last season (even league-wide) and I hope Nonis doesn't let him go.
ververgaert
MVP
MVP

Post by ververgaert »

Both a complete waste of money and roster spots.
Don Cherry for Prime Minister
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Sportsnet also has Nonis signing Brad Moran, Greg Classen and Jason Jaffray. Looks like the bolstering of the bottom six and reserve position is comming into play.

I'm still looking for him to sign a top 6 winger. Carter? I imagine he could be had for the same million we got him for last time.

http://www4.sportsnet.ca/nhl_signings_2007/
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

I don't see how there could be room for Green now, to be honest. :( I'd probably have preferred him too.

Although Isbister might be the type of guy who will overachieve (compared to his underachieving expectations) by being in a position for Sedin tap-ins. I don't know much about him as a player, but if he's good at only that, a man can make a career out of it. Of course, it would mean reducing Pyatt's usefulness accordingly.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

does this bolstering of bottom end talent free up, say Matt Cooke, to be traded?

Not very exciting signings ot me and Nonis needs to do more than sign some project to play in the top 6. I think he needs to do that AND find a legitimate top 6 guy via the trade route.

By allocating the his payroll the way he has, he eliminated himself from the UFA market to address major holes and has to rely on the trade route. An astute trade and he looks like a genius. A poor trade or lack of trade and he could very well look foolish for having so many big money long term deals.
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

So... we get another Chouinard clone in Isbister and another Kesler clone in Ritchie. What gives?

I'm about as thrilled for these signings as I was for the Santala, Chouinard ones.

I hope we sign Shane Hnidy. Just a side thought.
tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by tuzzi44 »

Byron Ritchie... at this point, i cant stand the guy... but its not because of his style of play or anything, but because he played for the flames. petty i know, but my flamer hatred runs deep. 8-)
BELIEVE.

"we did a fucking great job"
Jonathan Toews
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

Kel wrote:I hope that still means Josh Green is back. He's one of the best penalty killers last season (even league-wide) and I hope Nonis doesn't let him go.
Agreed 100%, I've said from the start that I wanted him back because he is a great PK guy. Statistically he's the best, according to James Mirtle, . I'll look for the article where it says that later, but hopefully this doesn't mean he's gone. He was turning into one of my favourites... :(
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Having Green back would be sweet. He was a key cog to the PK. I hate the idea of Isbister, I'm not a fan.

As for Ritchie, I like the idea of having him on the 4th line. He adds a little grit, which we can all agree this team needs.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
nucks_girl
CC Veteran

Post by nucks_girl »

I agree with L.I.G. that we would probably have use for Ritchie to add some grit to the lineup, but Isbister? I don't get that. That just seems like a completely useless signing to me. I'm willing to give Nonis benefit of doubt considering he's done good things for this club though.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

First Pyatt and now Isbister. I think he skates better than Chouinard and has a harder edge to him than Pyatt... which still just makes him 3-4th line material. Like someone else said, it looks like Nonis is scrounging the bargain bins for right-handed hulking wingers and hoping the law of averages gives him a fit for the Twins.

Ritchie... well... he does give us options on the bottom six and I think has more offense than what he's shown thus far. If they stick in the big club and produce, great. If not, then send them to the farm and elude the cap hit. I don't think this necessarily means Green is out of the picture.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

CHL.ca wrote:Hurricanes' forward Byron Ritchie was caught by an RDS (the French edition of TSN) microphone yelling this remark: "F--- you, you f---ing Frogs!" Tuesday as Lethbridge beat Hull 7-6 in overtime. Hmmm. Sensitivity training for you, Byron.
http://www.chl.ca/CHLMemorialCup97/may14_memnotes.html
Island fan
CC Rookie

Post by Island fan »

Just less money to throw at Forsberg. I know it's unrealistic with our salaries looking like they do but I feel cheated by Nonis for not doing anything huge. It's like last year's deadline all over again WOOO Mikka Noronen. I mean the Northwest is hopping with action and we're quietly sitting by stockpiling 3rd and 4th liners when that's exactly what we don't need.
For some reason this off season feels longer than normal.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Did you seriously think Forsberg would sign?
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel: