Staal on cover of 'NHL 08' video game

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

kingofrockstars
MVP
MVP

Staal on cover of 'NHL 08' video game

Post by kingofrockstars »

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=210558&hubname=

EDWOOD, Calif. (CP) - Carolina Hurricanes centre Eric Staal will be the cover boy for Electronic Arts' "NHL 08" video game.

The 23-year-old is an avid gamer and follows Alexander Ovechkin on the cover.

"I am a huge fan of the NHL franchise and played 'NHL 07' fanatically," Staal said in a statement.

Staal won the Stanley Cup with Carolina last year and was part of the Canadian team that won the IIHF World Hockey Championship in May.

NHL 08 is the 16th version of the EA NHL hockey franchise, and is being developed by the company's Vancouver studio. It will be released in September.

Florida Panthers goalie John Vanbiesbrouck was the first player to be featured solely on the cover in 1997. Others who have appeared on the box since include Peter Forsberg, Mario Lemieux, Jarome Iginla, Joe Sakic, Markus Naslund and Vincent Lecavalier.

Dany Heatley was slated for the cover in 2004, but was replaced by Sakic after the car accident that killed teammate Dan Snyder.
The police never think it's as funny as you do
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Damn. I was hoping for someone better. I hate Staal. Then again, maybe Staal will get the EA curse. At least it wasn't Luongo, I'd be scared if he got the EA curse.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

whew. Seeing as it seems to take 2 years to get over the curse, Naslund should have a good year next year... Especially if Meers gets drunk, bathes in sheeps blood, sacrifices a couple of virgins (perhaps 3 - just for the fun), while dancing in front of the full moon while praying to the Hockey Gods.....
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
westvandal
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by westvandal »

Why do you hate Staal Linden?
E1-E4 = I made it up.
E5 = Found it on tsn.
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

Not the worst person they could've chosen. At least it's not Crosby. I'm just glad Luongo's not on the cover, we're dead if he has an off-season next year. Look at what happened to Kipper in Calgary, they lost all confidence in their ability to win on the road, in part due to Kiprusoff's lacklustre play.
Tukaram
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Tukaram »

Curse or not, the Hurricanes can't do any worse than last season, can they?
ververgaert
MVP
MVP

Post by ververgaert »

I work with a guy from Toronto that hates Sidney Crosby. Levelheaded just wrote atleast its not Crosby. I don't get it ,whats not to like about this guy? I remember hating Gretzky and Lafluer as a kid untill their carrers were close to an end. Then I felt stupid about not enjoying two of the best ever.

My son plays 07 N.H.L and said he can't wait to get 08. I asked him why and he said because it will have Malkin and Staal. 70$ for two new players!
Don Cherry for Prime Minister
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

westvandal wrote:Why do you hate Staal Linden?
I honestly don't know. Something about his face bugs me. I know it's petty, but I just don't like him.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

ververgaert wrote:I work with a guy from Toronto that hates Sidney Crosby. Levelheaded just wrote atleast its not Crosby. I don't get it ,whats not to like about this guy? I remember hating Gretzky and Lafluer as a kid untill their carrers were close to an end. Then I felt stupid about not enjoying two of the best ever.
Something about him. I'm not really sure what it is. Although on the surface he looks like a good guy, I get the feeling the whole thing is a facade. At the beginning of his career he sounded like a whiner, and now whenever I see commercials for Tim Hortons, Reebok, and a plethora of other products I get his smiling mug attached to each one. He sold out before he was good. It just seems... wrong to me. I understand that he is a good spokesman for the league, and hopefully he'll inspire a new generation of young players, but he just doesn't do it for me. I recognize his talent and admire him as a player, but other then that I pretty much hate him.

That, and the fact we're the same age yet he makes nearly $4 million more then me. :roll:
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

levelheaded wrote: That, and the fact we're the same age yet he makes nearly $4 million more then me. :roll:
yea.... I think that one stings the most.

Aside from that I too think it's a bit strange that he sold out pretty much before he got in the league. But honestly did the kid really have a choice? your 16, 17, 18 and your famous with all kinds of people probably throwing money at you. It's got to be tough. I think it's just a little bit f*cked how we've churned him out like the next jordan-esque mega-mulitmedia empire. I give him a break just for that reason. If he's as good as they say he is I'll give him time to prove it.