Who to pick on draft day?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

Lancer wrote:I haven't seen near as much of Repik as you guys in Van. What's the skinny on this guy? Is he worth it at 26th?
In a word, no. But he might be an appropriate use of the 2nd rounder we have from LA.

Honestly, his Game really does reminds me of Bulis'. Which has both pros and cons.
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Meerschaum wrote:
Angelo Esposito. Pedigree be damned. He's the Alexander Daigle of this draft.

What pedigree? He has no relation to Tony and Phil Esposito.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Meerschaum wrote:
Lancer wrote:I haven't seen near as much of Repik as you guys in Van. What's the skinny on this guy? Is he worth it at 26th?
In a word, no. But he might be an appropriate use of the 2nd rounder we have from LA.

Honestly, his Game really does reminds me of Bulis'. Which has both pros and cons.
He could outplay Bulis on any given night. When Bulis' game is on, he's not a bad player.
sports&stuff---rick
AHL Prospect

Post by sports&stuff---rick »

if oscar moller is still there he is the pick. Improved all year after coming over from sweden . Stood up to all the crap the other teams tried to throw at him. Prospects games MVP. Will likley be in top 5 in WHL scoring next season. But forget it , he will be gone
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

Meerschaum wrote:
levelheaded wrote:5-10 185lbs isn't terrible in the new NHL. Drafting huge guys isn't a recipe for success, just because they are small doesn't mean they can't compete with bigger defenders. In some ways smaller players can exploit the bigger guys (exhibit A: St. Louis, Martin and Gionta, Brian).
I dunno. Methinks this year's Cup winners were all about size and speed. If Getzlaf, Penner and Perry are the future of the NHL - and winning a Cup suggests they are - you better have some monsters with wheels in your lineup to fight fire with fire. Hence I'd like Nonis to land one of the bigger bodies who can skate.
Agreed, and both DN and AV have commented on that fact. I would love to see us get a few big bodies in our line up (draft or otherwise) and comming up through our system. The new NHL is all about speed, true but there's nothing that says you can't be big and be fast!
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

Badfish wrote:
Meerschaum wrote:
levelheaded wrote:5-10 185lbs isn't terrible in the new NHL. Drafting huge guys isn't a recipe for success, just because they are small doesn't mean they can't compete with bigger defenders. In some ways smaller players can exploit the bigger guys (exhibit A: St. Louis, Martin and Gionta, Brian).
I dunno. Methinks this year's Cup winners were all about size and speed. If Getzlaf, Penner and Perry are the future of the NHL - and winning a Cup suggests they are - you better have some monsters with wheels in your lineup to fight fire with fire. Hence I'd like Nonis to land one of the bigger bodies who can skate.
The new NHL is all about speed, true but there's nothing that says you can't be big and be fast!
True, but rarely are big players fast, and given the choice between a 6-5 lumbering centre and a 5-10 speedy winger, I'd take the little guy every time. If you have the opportunity to draft a big guy that is fast, it's a no brainer, but they usually go long before the 25th spot.
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

levelheaded wrote: If you have the opportunity to draft a big guy that is fast, it's a no brainer, but they usually go long before the 25th spot.
Good point, your right, especially in a draft like this. I just really would like to see added size is all really, but maybe a weak draft and the 25th pick isn't the way ;)

Still, if it were down to two players by that pick, either a 5-10 speedy guy with no finish (reid) or a 6-4 guy with no finish but can still skate, I'd go with the bigger player for this team, at this time. Not always the case, it just seems size was something we were sorely missing last year, and if the Ducks are any indicator, the west isn't going to be getting any smaller.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

In Hockey Futures mock draft Vancouver takes

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/david_perron

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/9684

Interesting article

another article worth a read is

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=pag ... eid=318108
cheers
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

I like players drafted from the NCAA ranks or the Dub. Maybe the O as well, not so much the Q though.