I almost feel bad for Florida...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Badfish
MVP
MVP

I almost feel bad for Florida...

Post by Badfish »

Jettisoning Luongo was a laughable move - Miami Herald

Almost makes me feel bad for the fans in Florida....

Until I think about the sunshine. and the Heat... not the temperature, the NBA Champions.

Still, if the situation were reversed I know I would be in tears, tearing up any shreds of canuck memorabilia I had around, most likely vowing off hockey for the next year or so...

Interesting to see the hockey people over there aren't waiting at all to call this the worst trade in franchise history.
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

I think they lost the trade when they didn't get Bourdon or our first round pick. The fact that there was literally no prospects going Florida's way really hurt them. I understand why they wanted a group of proven players as they wanted to win then and there to establish a fanbase, but even at the time I thought it was strange.

Sucks to be a Florida fan though, although I'd be far happier if that Franchise had never existed in the first place. There are some places that hockey should just NEVER be...
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

and that 6th round pick they lost.... man

:)

honestly though it is the best trade in our history and make the Neely trade finally something we can forget (Can you imagine Neely being here for the 94 run ......:'(....)

oh yeah now I can forget the Neely trade. but in retrospect it wasnt bad at the time for the trade I mean Neely never score more than 21 goals at the time and Pederson had 2 40 goal seasons .... RAWWRRRR... I must forget...

ah yes

Luongo and Krajicek for a Declining Power forward with personal issues and a average goalie and Slow Dman.

man what a trade....
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

As long as Lui says he is happy now ... oh well ... I am happy ... sorry Florida fans.

Good job to Dave Nonis too for being on the ball and seeing this opportunity... its gotta give him some earned respectability now .... certainly helps us forget the Kesler/Clarke ... ummm ... blunder.

Grizz
Farhan Lalji

Re: I almost feel bad for Florida...

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Badfish wrote:Jettisoning Luongo was a laughable move - Miami Herald

Almost makes me feel bad for the fans in Florida....

Until I think about the sunshine. and the Heat... not the temperature, the NBA Champions.

Still, if the situation were reversed I know I would be in tears, tearing up any shreds of canuck memorabilia I had around, most likely vowing off hockey for the next year or so...

Interesting to see the hockey people over there aren't waiting at all to call this the worst trade in franchise history.
Another city if feel a bit bad for, is Dallas.

-The Stars (despite outplaying the Canucks IMO), lose in 7 games.

-The Cowboys (despite outplaying the Sea Hawks) lose in the 1st round thanks to their quarterback mishandling the snap for a 20 yard field goal (or something to that effect).

-The Mavericks, despite having the best regular season record in the NBA, get trounced in the 1st round. Maybe if Steve Nash was there instead of Nowitzki, this wouldn't have happened. :lol:
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

Grizzly wrote:certainly helps us forget the Kesler/Clarke ... ummm ... blunder.

Grizz
correct if I am reading this statement wrong?

Are you saying that Nonis was somehow at fault for the Kesler/Clarke debacle?
MacNews
CC Veteran

Post by MacNews »

Luongo was either the most valuable or second-most valuable player in the league this season in Vancouver. The Panthers, meanwhile, haven't won a playoff game in a decade. That's pretty hard to do in a sport that welcomes everyone into the playoffs. It is why the Panthers are the worst professional sports franchise we've ever had in this town.
Ouch. How many STs will re-new for next year? 50%?
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

mattola wrote:

Grizz

Well honestly I am not completely sure ... what I feel though is that Nonis could probably have been a little more aggressive in his negotiations with Kesler and thus maybe have avoided Clarke stepping in and making a mess of things. I stand to be corrected though.

Grizz
Mozy
MVP
MVP

Post by Mozy »

They lost it all, and gave up bertuzzi. sucks to be them. Im all smiles though :D
Did you see the pool? They flipped the bitch
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

Grizzly wrote:
mattola wrote:

Grizz

Well honestly I am not completely sure ... what I feel though is that Nonis could probably have been a little more aggressive in his negotiations with Kesler and thus maybe have avoided Clarke stepping in and making a mess of things. I stand to be corrected though.

Grizz
I see where your coming from but its hard to blame nonis at all for the stupidity of Clarke. its clear he overpaid for him and hurt us but a 2nd round pick was NOT worth losing him so Im glad we matched. I thought Nonis alredy offerd Kes a contract for 2 years at $900K which was resonable for his accomplishments who knew that craziness would come out. .
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

feritflame wrote:They lost it all, and gave up bertuzzi. sucks to be them. Im all smiles though :D
Speaking of loss, I don't think its THAT much of a stretch to say that Allen might come back to Vancouver in the off-season.

I would love to see Allen play 5/6 here. Allen gives the Canucks some much needed size and toughness.
randymeeks
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by randymeeks »

I would love to see Allen play 5/6 here. Allen gives the Canucks some much needed size and toughness.
Yeah, we could have used some of that size and toughness in the playoffs.

I wonder what is going through Bryan Allen's mind right now when it comes to where he wants to play?

I would bet with Luongo at the helm on this team for at least 3 more years, there must be at least some free agents that would be willing to come here at a reasonable price.
38 years without a Stanley Cup and counting.
SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

mattola wrote:honestly though it is the best trade in our history .
Not even close.

Best trade in Canuck's history was made by Keenan (!?!). Trading Linden for Bertuzzi & McCabe was easily the best deal ever made by the team. One of the best trades of all time in the entire league. When you get him back with the Isles & stinkin Habs paying most of his contract, as well as getting Luongo & a Sedin for him, well, there's just nothing in Canuck's history, hell NHL history, that even comes close.

Amazing how much Trev has done for this franchise - all the above and a run to game 7 of the Finals.
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

Naslund for Stojanov comes pretty close, but I'd still say the Luongo trade beats it.
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.