An Encounter

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Ilevakam
CC Veteran

An Encounter

Post by Ilevakam »

Over this last weekend I had a very exciting encounter. I was on my way back from Penticton on Sunday evening after attending a cousins wedding when I stopped at the Dairy Queen in Meritt for dinner. I had just recieved my food when something caught me attention. Brendan Morrison and Rory Fitzpatrik walked in the door. I nearly crapped in my pants. After observing them eat their dinner I approached them when they were putting their trays away. To my suprise they were both very approachable, and overly tolerant about signing my Canucks hat, and i was even told to take it easy at the end of the conversation.

It may have been one of the highlights of my life. I live very close to Vancouver so I always expected my first encounter to be in Vancouver, but instead i managed to be in the same place for the same 15 minutes 300 km away from home.

Anybody else have an unexpected Canuck encounter?
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Unexpected no, but hilarious yes.

When I was 13 my mom arranged for me to get in the Canucks dressing room while they were in Buffalo. We were to go after practice and Steve Tambellini was to meet us outside the room.

My dad had to go to the bathroom before we went in so he found the nearest bathroom. As he was doing his business, he could smell a cigar. My dad looks over and it's Pat Quinn standing at the urinal. My dad was shocked to see him and asked the dumb question "Hey Pat Quinn, what are you doing here?" Quinn replied "Taking a fucking piss, what about you?" Then my dad still in shock, says "I'm here to see you." Then there was an awkward silence. My dad corrected himself by saying that the whole family was to meet the team and then Quinn knew who he was. Gotta love how blunt Quinn is.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
orts
CC Veteran

Post by orts »

I think I told this story once already. Oh, well.

Trevor Linden used to come into the coffee shop I worked at in Kitsilano ("Expressohead," now defunct). The summer of 1994, he came in with a woman and ordered a couple of skim-milk mochas. I asked him how his summer was, and he said, "Short," and we both smiled happily.

Brush with greatness! But I thoughtlessly put whole milk in his mocha, and I have always worried that in doing so I threw off Trevor's training regimen, thereby inadvertantly giving Mike Keenan the opening he needed to start his Seemingly Endless Reign of Terror and Darkness.
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

orts wrote: thereby inadvertantly giving Mike Keenan the opening he needed to start his Seemingly Endless Reign of Terror and Darkness.
and in doing so you helped bring us the greatest goaltender we have ever had and a real shot at winning a cup with him.

Thanks orts :)
stevethiessen
MVP
MVP

Post by stevethiessen »

Jyrki Lumme, VanCity airport when I was about 10. I was disgustingly proud of myself, because I recognized him (pushing a stroller with what I assume was his wife) in an out-of-context spot. Walked right up and shook his hand... and was buzzed for weeks afterward.

If it had been Captain Kirk i might have passed out...
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

back in the day (and this is going to show my age here) I remember being in the same elementary school as Geoff Courtnall's...son? he was just entering as I was leaving, but from tim to time I saw Geoff around the school. I had an old collection of hockey cards and actually got him to sign a card of him in the old Washington Capitals jersey, the old red white and blue ones... Not sure why I didn't have a Canucks card of him, but hey I was in 7th grade or something :)
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Just a couple days ago at Future Shop on Broadway I passed by Mattias Ohlund and his kids. They were going down the escalator and I was going up. I was starstruck and when I turned around he was already gone.

At the Tsunami Sushi Bar in Downtown you can frequenty see HNIC guys there when they broadcast Vancouver games. I saw Ron MacLean once there.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

not sure if this counts, because it happened before he played on the team....

I used to throw rocks at Peter Scheafer when he was a kid.....

/meh
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Cliff Ronning after a game one nite ... one of the nicest guys you could meet.
Ron McLean and Harry Neale ... Ron was hilarious ... just like you see him on tv ... a real jokester.... Harry Neale ...snobbish and couldn't be bothered with me or the young teens I had with me.

I was Dave Scatchard's boss years ago too when he was growing up as a teen. Great guy ... still says hi to me on the very rare occasion I bump into him.

Grizz
nucks_girl
CC Veteran

Post by nucks_girl »

I saw Chelios on Robson St. when they were playing the Canucks during the playoffs. Yes, the infamous 'Lidstrom killed Cloutier' series. I yelled some obsceneties at him, and unfortunately, he enjoyed it.

I saw Cliff Ronning shopping at Sport Chek with his son. Nice guy, way shorter than I expected.

I met Linden in the Canucks dressing room a couple of months ago, I think I may have mentioned this before. :lol:
Oh yeah, while I was there, I saw Bieksa in his jock strap and I think the quite enjoyed being admired. No, I didn't look like a stalker. I just took a few peeps. Not like he was being shy... :mex:

Oh yeah, a couple of weeks ago I saw one of the Sedins at Pacific Centre with his wife and daughter. I don't know which one of them it was though; don't know which one has a daughter. I did a double take, but I didn't want to bother him because they were discussing something.

Ahh, a couple more just popped into my head. A few years ago, after the SuperSkills competition, I went shopping on Robson with my friends. First we saw the Sedins shopping for baby clothes, and we tried to follow them and get their autographs, but the sneaky bastards slipped away from us! And then we saw Ruutu shopping in...of all places...Aritzia!!! He was quite neutral though, not nice, but not mean. Almost hurried.

The moral of all these stories is: I spend a lot of time downtown.
Hockey_roo
CC Veteran

Post by Hockey_roo »

Not Canucks players, But I met Kevin Lowe a few times as he had a summer home in my town. A real nice guy and always had time to have a small chat. Also helped Rob Neidermeyer in school (surprisingly he was not very good at math). Man I can remember thinking that this guy wasn't going to make it and laughing at the girls who were chasing him. :lol:
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

Madcombinepilot wrote:not sure if this counts, because it happened before he played on the team....

I used to throw rocks at Peter Scheafer when he was a kid.....

/meh
Is that true? If so you should get some sort of Award... perhaps a custom avatar? ;)