For the love of god AV... switch the PP units around!!

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
JamesOwnzSam11
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:02 am

For the love of god AV... switch the PP units around!!

Post by JamesOwnzSam11 »

Jesus Christ.. why are the Sedins and of all players LINDEN the First PP Unit? It Doesn't work!

The Canucks FINALLY get a Powerplay goal and who is it by? Naslund.. the Naslund, Morrision, Pyatt unit.. and they looked much more deadly all game than the Sedins... so what does AV do? he gives the Sedins and Linden even more PP time... I don't know how many more times I can watch Linden fan over and over on the PP

Stupid just Stupid..

If he's such a great coach he'll fix this.

Don't even get me started on that Luongo play tonight.
"I think my biggest influence has been Messier."Watching him prepare for games and how seriously he still took everything at his age. A lot of the qualities that he had helped me get better."- Markus Naslund

User avatar
Soapy
MVP
MVP
Posts: 770
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:32 pm
Location: Coquitlam, BC

Post by Soapy »

with all of your amazing insight on the Canucks why don't you just give AV a phone call...I'm sure he would love a new angle...he's probably tired of listening to the pauser's comments by now....stupid just stupid...funny just funny
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill

User avatar
Soapy
MVP
MVP
Posts: 770
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:32 pm
Location: Coquitlam, BC

Post by Soapy »

Hahaha this is great stuff

you said Luongo has won nothing to earn his money and his rep. Now he has won a series almost on his own

you said Linden was pretty much down and a waste of roster space and he scored the winner in game 7 and an assist.

you said dont gloat that the flames are out even though I said nothing of the sort as the Nucks may be out on Tuesday..

I think now you have to shut the frak up on both.

Your owned. Your done. Im tired of your shite and its time to pay it up
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill

User avatar
Soapy
MVP
MVP
Posts: 770
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:32 pm
Location: Coquitlam, BC

Post by Soapy »

What JOS11 has not learned about AV & the Canucks:

He has not recognized Linden's intangibles, it's paying off,
He has not gave respect to the penalty-killers, grinders, energy lines and shut-down lines...it's paid off,
He has not recognizes that Naslund can contribute despite his scoring woes,... it's paid off,
He has not let his players know that the doghouse exit is as easily accessed as the entrance....it's paid off.
He has not taught the Canucks that a 2-1 win is better than a 5-4 loss...it's paid off.
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill

User avatar
rikster
MVP
MVP
Posts: 436
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:41 am

Post by rikster »

I don't like the Sedins on the power play either...

They don't skate fast enough to back the defenders off the blue line and when they dump it in, they can't skate fast enough to retrieve the puck...

When there is a puck battle they don't skate fast enough to get to where the puck is in order to make it an odd man situation and they don't like going to the front of the net...

The Sedins won't stop looking for the perfect play and in waiting, they are clock killers...

I'd rather see a Naslund with Pyatt and Cowan type combination with Cowan the rover who tracks down the puck on the shoot ins and both him and Pyatt park their big bodies in front of the net looking for garbage after shots from the points are put on net...

Take care...

Kikbutt_10
CC Veteran
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:00 pm
Location: Edmonton "Klein" Alberta

Post by Kikbutt_10 »

I was SOOOO sick of Naslund and the Sedins trying to skate the puck into the zone, you simply CAN'T DO IT ON DMEN LIKE PRONGER, NIEDERMAYER, or BEAUCHEMIN!!!! I would've liked to see AV throw the Burrows, Green, Cowan line out there to chip the puck in and HIT their fricken D for once!!

User avatar
*CanucksForLife*
CC Veteran
Posts: 165
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:39 pm
Location: Surrey

Post by *CanucksForLife* »

Kikbutt_10 wrote:I was SOOOO sick of Naslund and the Sedins trying to skate the puck into the zone, you simply CAN'T DO IT ON DMEN LIKE PRONGER, NIEDERMAYER, or BEAUCHEMIN!!!! I would've liked to see AV throw the Burrows, Green, Cowan line out there to chip the puck in and HIT their fricken D for once!!
Using caps and multiple question marks doesn't make your point clearer.

:towel:
I Hart Luongo.

User avatar
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1911
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:41 am
Location: Carl Junction, MO

Post by tantalum »

I don't know. I think the biggest problem isn't that you can't skate it in, it's that you can't skate it in if the only player moving is the puck carrier. Get all three forwards coming across the line at once and the PK unit HAS to back up. Problem is you have the puck carrier skating up ice and the other guys standing still waiting for him. It's the reason why the dump and chase also isn't working.

The answer is simply Puck Support.

Kel
MVP
MVP
Posts: 658
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:26 pm

Post by Kel »

tantalum wrote:I don't know. I think the biggest problem isn't that you can't skate it in, it's that you can't skate it in if the only player moving is the puck carrier. Get all three forwards coming across the line at once and the PK unit HAS to back up. Problem is you have the puck carrier skating up ice and the other guys standing still waiting for him. It's the reason why the dump and chase also isn't working.

The answer is simply Puck Support.
Exactly. When I was pretty frustrated with the lack of PP success, I yelled "puck support" right before the first goal, and then I saw Naslund went to the corner near the two Canucks battling against the two Ducks on the PP, Morrison got the loose puck to Naslund, who passed it to Salo for a good position shot, and then scored on the rebound. What you described was one of the biggest problems, especially because they don't have anyone right now with the skills the carry the puck into the zone and maintain procession. In the old days you could pretty much expect Jovo or Naslund (with Bertuzzi drawing attention from defenders) to stickhandle through the neutral zone and gain the offensive zone on the PP. The Canucks don't have that ability anymore.

User avatar
Badfish
MVP
MVP
Posts: 793
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:50 pm
Location: Victoria, BC

Post by Badfish »

Kel wrote: Exactly. When I was pretty frustrated with the lack of PP success, I yelled "puck support" right before the first goal, and then I saw Naslund went to the corner near the two Canucks battling against the two Ducks on the PP, Morrison got the loose puck to Naslund, who passed it to Salo for a good position shot, and then scored on the rebound.
Yep, thank god you were there to point out to Naslund how to play basic hockey or we might've...still lost 3-1? heh. 8-)

Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 535
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:54 pm

Post by Arbour »

Watch the Ducks on the pp. Everyone is moving, and not just along the boards, and when a player with puck is given open ice towards the net, he take its, particularly the point men, and then they shoot. The Canuck point men prefer to use what time they are given, to wind up for the big shot from the blue line, which is inevitably blocked, or misses the net.

As far as the Sedins are concerned, they are now playing against elite competition and their lack of speed is costing them the time/room they normally have in the regular season, to make a pass, or maneuver into open ice. Their game has become far too predictable, and unfortunately the Canucks lack the depth to provide an alternative.

User avatar
*CanucksForLife*
CC Veteran
Posts: 165
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:39 pm
Location: Surrey

Post by *CanucksForLife* »

Arbour wrote:Watch the Ducks on the pp. Everyone is moving, and not just along the boards, and when a player with puck is given open ice towards the net, he take its, particularly the point men, and then they shoot. The Canuck point men prefer to use what time they are given, to wind up for the big shot from the blue line, which is inevitably blocked, or misses the net.

As far as the Sedins are concerned, they are now playing against elite competition and their lack of speed is costing them the time/room they normally have in the regular season, to make a pass, or maneuver into open ice. Their game has become far too predictable, and unfortunately the Canucks lack the depth to provide an alternative.
We're making them look good. They skate it into our zone and cut back and they're set up. Or they win a clean face off. Our PK is getting underlooked and is not doing well either.
I Hart Luongo.

User avatar
Mozy
MVP
MVP
Posts: 420
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:18 pm
Location: Vancouver
Contact:

Post by Mozy »

I think one of the things thats been killing the PP before it gets a chance, but one thing they've kinda improved on lately, is winning faceoffs. I mean time and time again I see them lose an offensive faceoff and it result in an anaheim rush or a dumped puck killing precious powerplay minutes.

I was also pretty critical that Luongo would never come out and play the puck at the hash marks so as to catch the other team changing, and cut down the distance the players have to travel back to get the puck. I realize he's been doing a little bit more of that, but i still think he needs to play the puck more. thats the only area i would fault him on. does anyone know why he doesnt? is it because of some really bad gaff in his past that has made him over cautious with the puck?
Did you see the pool? They flipped the bitch

User avatar
rockalt
MVP
MVP
Posts: 808
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:47 pm
Location: London

Post by rockalt »

feritflame wrote:does anyone know why he doesnt? is it because of some really bad gaff in his past that has made him over cautious with the puck?
See Anaheim's first goal in game 3. I'd rather Luongo didn't play the puck more. It's simply not his strong suit. Which is fine. I'd rather him be a poor puckhandler than say have a weak five-hole or glove hand. Just not his game.

User avatar
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1911
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:41 am
Location: Carl Junction, MO

Post by tantalum »

Arbour wrote: As far as the Sedins are concerned, they are now playing against elite competition and their lack of speed is costing them the time/room they normally have in the regular season, to make a pass, or maneuver into open ice. Their game has become far too predictable, and unfortunately the Canucks lack the depth to provide an alternative.
The other problem is that you have two guys trying to be a three person line. They may have been able to do the job in the regular season but whent he playoffs roll around you need that contribution from the third guy. They don't have that. They've NEVER had that.

The PP problems aren't about speed. There are tactical issues such as everybody being stationary and not wokring to create open lanes. It's all well and good for Daniel and Henrik to cycle but if the other 3 guys on the ice are simply standing still and watching them nothing is going to happen. I'd like to see the D-men come off the point a bit more...threaten the back door play which will in turn cause the penalty kill to back off from the pointmen and open up the shot. Get some success from that and those penatly killers once again have to challenge the shooter and it opens up the down low play. All from a little simple movement.

The other issue is quite simply the lack of offensive talent. Even clicking on all cylinders, in the long run the PP is going to average with the current group of players. And the problem is if the canucks (nearly) 40 goal scorer is in a slump and your used to be 40 goal scorer is in a slump (all season!) the PP is not going to be good. Now another bonafide top 6 forward or two and all of a sudden makes the PP much more dangerous because it isn't typical to see all that talent go into a slump at once and if they do the slump is much shorter. But that can;t be corrected now so it's up to the current players to move around the zone a bit and create some passing lanes. It's almost as if the canucks play so hard 5-on-5 that when they get the PP they use it as a chance to rest a bit and stop moving their legs.

Post Reply