Bulis

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Bulis

Post by Madcombinepilot »

any one else impressed by the way Bulis played last night?

Sure he had 2 or 3 brain farts (and those will cost us in the long run) but when Dallas was taking it to us in the third and fourth periods, Bulis and Cowan were the only two who still skated for us...

For a guy who I had written off, I was midly impressed with his work ethic. Hope he keeps it up and turns into a playoff guy (he sure as heck wasn't a regular season performer....)
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
orts
CC Veteran

Re: Bulis

Post by orts »

Madcombinepilot wrote:any one else impressed by the way Bulis played last night?

Yeah, I was going to start a post on the subject too, but you beat me to it! I have been noticing him for a while. He's been good forechecking and killing penalties, and been skating hard. Kind of Morrison Lite. I'm surprised he hasn't been rewarded for his effort with more points, but that's probably too much to expect. If he actually puts some points together, though, he might be worth keeping.

I have a feeling he started to get his shit together right after his trade request went public and he said he was pissed about not playing with the Sedins. Which suggests to me that Vigneault or someone sat down with him and said, "Look, you don't play the Sedins' game. We want you to play this role, killing penalties, etc." Which would've simultaneously cleared up some psychological confusion about his role and gave him something particular to work on (rather than, as Crawford would've, simply benching him for petulance).

All this that I'm saying here is purely hypothetical, but it seems to me to be entirely in character with what I've seen of both Bulis and the coaching staff of the Canucks. Essentially, I think he's another coaching success.
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

I actually thought quite differently. I think the only reason we saw so much of Bulis was because Cooke and Burrows got injured. I still think he can play much, much better, and Smolinski and to a lesser extent Linden made him look good. There were a couple times where Bulis failed to get the puck out of our own zone.

Against a team like Dallas which is so similar in makeup mistakes are going to cost us.
orts
CC Veteran

Post by orts »

When you say "we saw so much of him" do you mean literally he spent more time on ice, or just that we noticed him more? Looking up old stats, I think the former is still pretty much uniform with where he was at a month ago, and as for the latter, as I say, to me his effort has been recognizable for a month or so.

Yeah, he might've failed to get the puck out of our zone (that's actually been one of his notable strengths on the PK lately) on occasion, but for some reason everybody had trouble doing that last night. From that perspective, Turco alone outplayed the entire 'Nucks team.

I, on the other hand, want to see more out of Smolinski. I mean, he's been just fine, but I had really high expectations for him for some reason.
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

i was impressed with Bulis last night

but not where near as much as I was with Naslund

hes best game in 2 years.
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

I was very impressed with Bulis last nite and lately for that matter .... seems to be skating alot better, his intensity is up there and he is delivering some decent hits.

For all the bad rap the guy has taken I would love to see him pop a few and increase his credibility and popularity amongst the fans.

Grizz
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

orts wrote:When you say "we saw so much of him" do you mean literally he spent more time on ice, or just that we noticed him more? Looking up old stats, I think the former is still pretty much uniform with where he was at a month ago, and as for the latter, as I say, to me his effort has been recognizable for a month or so.
He spent more time on the ice. Usually more time on the ice translates to him being more noticeable.
tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by tuzzi44 »

Overall I was just impressed with the team all together. i thought everyone stepped up and never quit when the game seemed like it would never end. I dont care if Bulis screwed up a few times or Bieksa found himself sitting in the box more than we would have liked... the team played like a team.
BELIEVE.

"we did a fucking great job"
Jonathan Toews
orts
CC Veteran

Post by orts »

jchockey wrote: He spent more time on the ice. Usually more time on the ice translates to him being more noticeable.
Yeah, but everybody spent more time on the ice, as we've already established! I don't really get what you're saying...

As I hinted earlier, it looked like Bulis put in a proportionately comparable number of minutes in regular time on Wednesday as he was doing a month or so ago (looked up some of those old games, and his numbers were roughly equivalent to Cooke and Pyatt).
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

orts wrote:
jchockey wrote: He spent more time on the ice. Usually more time on the ice translates to him being more noticeable.
Yeah, but everybody spent more time on the ice, as we've already established! I don't really get what you're saying...

As I hinted earlier, it looked like Bulis put in a proportionately comparable number of minutes in regular time on Wednesday as he was doing a month or so ago (looked up some of those old games, and his numbers were roughly equivalent to Cooke and Pyatt).
The 4-OT game...

Bulis: 43:11 TOI
Cooke: 9:51
Burrows: 11:33

Jan Bulis averages 14:22 TOI/game over the season. Over the last ten games of the season Bulis still averaged around 14, his highest 16:36 vs. COL and his lowest 12:10 vs. PHX.

Considering that the 4 OTs was equivalent to 2 games + 18:06... multiply Bulis' average ice time by two, he should've played 28:44... or about as much ice-time Jeff Cowan got in the entire game. Instead, Bulis logged 43:11, only 0:30 less than Henrik.

Had Cooke and Burrows stayed in the game I think it'd be safe to say you could've shaved at least 10 minutes off Bulis' ice time.
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

There is no doubt that Bulis logs as much ice-time on some nights as Pyatt and Cooke, but if you still had Burrows, Cooke, and Kesler on the bench do you really think you would've used Bulis that much? There are only so many minutes to go around, and Bulis was the beneficiary of the injuries.
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

So... if Bulis plays more we win? 8-)

That Alain... sly devil.
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Robert wrote:So... if Bulis plays more we win? 8-)

That Alain... sly devil.
Sorry, but we got lucky in Game 1. We got the bounce on the Smolinski goal and we blew the lead but were lucky enough to take it in OT.
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Re: Bulis

Post by Badfish »

orts wrote: I have a feeling he started to get his shit together right after his trade request went public and he said he was pissed about not playing with the Sedins. Which suggests to me that Vigneault or someone sat down with him and said, "Look, you don't play the Sedins' game. We want you to play this role, killing penalties, etc." Which would've simultaneously cleared up some psychological confusion about his role and gave him something particular to work on (rather than, as Crawford would've, simply benching him for petulance).

All this that I'm saying here is purely hypothetical, but it seems to me to be entirely in character with what I've seen of both Bulis and the coaching staff of the Canucks. Essentially, I think he's another coaching success.
I agree with you on this, I've thought Bulis has been getting a rough ride for awhile now. Early in the season I agree he wasn't playing with much intensity and seemed to be put off by his lack of sedin time. Since he's gotten his head screwed on straight he's picked up his game and fit in nicely to his role. He still has the occasional brain cramp but he's been playing with speed and some intensity lately. His speed has been especially noticeable I've thought.

Also he's got a sleeper of a wrist shot, he doesn't get allot of credit for it but he seems to get it off hard and quickly from time to time. In this last game 2 he almost fooled Turco earlier with that wrister from 30 feet and then showed nice hands on the backhand. Had a good game imo.

He's one of the group of players who could be game breakers any night for us, which is something I love about our team. Players like Smolinski, Cowan, Bulis, Cooke, Linden, and even Hansen might be creeping on to the list. Any one of them on any given night might have a few good shifts, get a bit of a roll going and create something. It's great that we have so many of that type of player on our team as we battle through the playoffs, players who aren't counted on game after game, but can make timely contributions.