Dallas, Minny, or San-J???

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Who do you want the cnucks to play in the first round?

Sharks
5%
Wild
14%
Stars
81%

Total votes: 21

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Dallas, Minny, or San-J???

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Seeing as it looks like one of these, who would you rather face in the first round?
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Re: Dallas, Minny, or San-J???

Post by Meerschaum »

Madcombinepilot wrote:Seeing as it looks like one of these, who would you rather face in the first round?
Given how solid the West has been this season. I don't think there are any gimmes among these eight playoff bound teams. I could realistically see any one of them becoming conference champion. You can say what you want about the CBA, but it did deliver parity as promised . . .

Still, if I've absolutely gotta pick a preferred first round opponent, I suppose I'd root for the Stars - as we all know that Turco folds like an cheap Albanian suit during the playoffs.

Detroit would be a pretty good match-up for us as well.

The only team that I think we match up poorly against is the Ducks. Over seven games their size and physicality would wear us down. All the more reason to take the Northwest Division so as to avoid Burkie's big boys.
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.
krutov
AHL Prospect

Post by krutov »

I'm not sure that you can narrow it down quite yet. We could finish 2,3,5,6, or 7th which leaves only Calgary out of the equation as a likely opponent. I voted Minny just because if we were to only last one round the rivaly would kick up another notch.
Robert
MVP
MVP

Re: Dallas, Minny, or San-J???

Post by Robert »

Meerschaum wrote:
Madcombinepilot wrote:Seeing as it looks like one of these, who would you rather face in the first round?
Given how solid the West has been this season. I don't think there are any gimmes among these eight playoff bound teams. I could realistically see any one of them becoming conference champion. You can say what you want about the CBA, but it did deliver parity as promised . . .

Still, if I've absolutely gotta pick a preferred first round opponent, I suppose I'd root for the Stars - as we all know that Turco folds like an cheap Albanian suit during the playoffs.

Detroit would be a pretty good match-up for us as well.

The only team that I think we match up poorly against is the Ducks. Over seven games their size and physicality would wear us down. All the more reason to take the Northwest
Division so as to avoid Burkie's big boys.
I'll agree with all of this. Every team just looks scary as hell. The only thing though playing Detroit is we just would not want that kind of travel in the first round or so.

I'll pick Dallas too, but they could just as easily win it all too... damn.
sk8er
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by sk8er »

I picked Dallas.
They don' score a ton of goals. Less than us in fact.
then there is Turco.........but who knows, maybe this year he will find the way........
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

I voted Dallas as well. My second would be Minnesota.

Of all the teams in the west I would, as Meerschaum, be most concerned about facing the Ducks.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
gordorama
MVP
MVP

Post by gordorama »

Dallas here as well... I can already hear the crowd chanting
"TURRRR-KOOOAH, TURRRR-KOOOAH"

Although I agree we should match up well with any team we face.
I do fear the wild more than the ducks for some reason - must be that Kool-aid in Minnie that freaks me out.
:shock:
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

Gordorama you need to update your re-sign tag ;) Yaa Salo !!
I would love for the Canucks to face Dallas...travel is not horrible (Detroit)...& the Canucks match up well against them...we both have goalies out to prove something too....all the games between them have been one goal games...wait a minute..all the games against all the teams in the league have been one goal games.... :roll:
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Hockey_roo
CC Veteran

Post by Hockey_roo »

Minny Scars me, I they keep it going they will be a tough team in a series. The Ducks have the firepower and will be the favourite out West. Guess that leaves the Stars....
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Let the Ducks lose against the Sharks. :mrgreen:

I voted just for the voting for Dallas just because of Turco but i guess we'll play the Wild. No problem, we had them once in the pocket and this time we'll do the rest. ;) (I know they have a different team now, but we also.)

My general opinion is anyways that you have to beat anybody. ;)
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
ververgaert
MVP
MVP

Post by ververgaert »

If I had my pick it would be Detriot. I'd love to see Todd Bertuzzi play against this team.
Don Cherry for Prime Minister
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

I voted Minny. I think we are a better team than they are,and even though they realy hate us and will crank it up against us (specifically), I think we can beat them.

Turco has our number (we have beat him what, 3 times in the last 3 years or something wierd??) and San J should scare the crap out of anyone.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Kikbutt_10
CC Veteran

Post by Kikbutt_10 »

I picked Minny too, they've been playing on a high on the return of Gabby and their unexpected goalie tandem of Backstrom and Harding(?), which by the way kinda fell apart last night against the Flames. Plus I think we can match them physically, whereas Dallas and San Jose are both deeper and bigger teams. I don't really care either way, I'm just too frickin stoked for Canucks PLAYOFF HOCKEY!!!!!

...I gotta book off work.... :D
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

I voted Dallas too, but then realized that my eral answer might be SJ... the Canucks have generally played the Sharks better than the Stars, who kind of seem to have the team's number.

Interesting factoid: these three teams are all very connected. The Dallas Stars are the Minnesota North Stars. The San Jose Sharks are a scion of the Minnesota North Stars (owners were forced to sell the team rather than move them to San Francisco, but they got to keep a lot of the players). The Minnesota Wild replaced the Minnesota North Stars.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

I like Dallas, we're both low scoring, but we have the better 'tender.

I also like our chances against anyone...looking at our record since christmas, we should be able to go 4-3 against anyone in the league ;)