The Sedins.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

JamesOwnzSam11
CC 2nd Team All-Star

The Sedins.

Post by JamesOwnzSam11 »

Did you think they were busts?

Did you always believe? ( yeah Right.)

Do you still think they haven't proven anything?
"I think my biggest influence has been Messier."Watching him prepare for games and how seriously he still took everything at his age. A lot of the qualities that he had helped me get better."- Markus Naslund
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

Personally, you may not believe me but I always had faith. twin brothers that skated and moved like they did at thier age? You had to know something good was comming.

I had a friend however who was one of those "Trade the sisters for a bag of pucks while you still can" type. To this day I love to remind him and rub it in a little. As for having proven anything, well they haven't won anything yet, but that's not exactly thier fault. At thier age, they've got lots of time. If they keep progressing as they have the past two years, We could have a couple of twin brother all-stars.

Honestly I can't wait to see them in the playoffs this year and in years to come! They seem to be big-game players, great for the playoffs. They just keep looking better and better. :mrgreen:
unikron
AHL Prospect

Post by unikron »

I'll admit that their skating used to concern me a lot, especially the first season in training camp when the would regularly get beat by some slow defensemen (can't remember exactly who) in a foot race. But they always showed a glimpse here and there, and each year they showed growth. What allowed me not to pull what little hair I have out in waiting for them was the fact that it took Joe Thornton 5 season before he really broke out. He was big and slow to start with and he just needed to grow into the NHL game; same with the twins.

On a side note I just have to say I love the twin commercial. The are talented, humble and can laugh at themselves...I hope they never get too expensive for the Canucks
"I, know I could make it right, if I could just swallow my pride".
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

Remeber that this is a 'no touch' league now....they would have scored soooo much more earlier but the 'dead puck' era allowed teams ( Calgary & Detroit in the playoffs) to grab on to them & stop the cycle ......we all must agree..its so sweet to watch now. Sure they have developed & gotten stronger...but the rule change has been a godsend to the sisters. I always liked the puck possession they had .....but I got frustrated when they would have the puck in the opponents end for 90 seconds without a shot on goal...that has all changed...did I think Daniel would get 30 a year..not really but 20-25 was always in his range...as for Henrick being a dominating faceoff man...never saw it coming...I thought he was a bit soft...not anymore....these two have a lot af grit...& they are pretty good dancers :roll:
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

To be honest, I lost faith completely. I tried to be optimistic for the first few years they were here, but they were always so slow out there and I thought their style of play was much better suited to the larger ice in Europe. If they'd be drafted in the third round I would've been dissapointed, but they were taken #2, #3 so their general lack of sucess seemed even more frustrating. Plus we traded McCabe for one of the picks, and at the time I still thought he was fairly underrated.

Furthermore, I beleive just before the 05/06 season started, I made a long post about how they were flops and that Nonis should've just bit the bullet and traded them. I officially retract that statement now. The New NHL (By the way when will we stop calling it that?) has really helped them and they can be fun to watch when they are one. I even doubted them being a top line after the WCE was ripped apart. They silenced me there.

Now, the Sedins are premier players in this league. Not top 10 forwards, or maybe even 15, but certainly top 20. They are still young they are locked down for a couple more years at a veritable steal of $3.5 mill per season. We should have a bright future with them as a top line for the next little while. If they can find another player like Carter to play with (Pyatt is okay, but far from terrific) they will be unstoppable.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

I always thought they could do better. There was times when they showed flashes of what we see on a regular basis this year. Sedins four goal game against Detroit last year cemented my opinion on both of them: they can be first line players in this league.

I like the bargaining chips as well. Being brothers, I can seriously see them taking a much lower individual salary to stay together...something of a package. I have serious doubts that they could flourish apart from one another, the sibling intuition is just so amazing. Together, they have the ability to make pretty much anyone with a decent sense of scoring better.

I also totally agree with the "New NHL" comment. The cycle game would never work so well back then, and now we see pretty much the entire league adopting some form of the twins' game on some line or another. Luongo and these two are the future for the Canucks. They're still only 26...so it's safe to assume their just comming into their best years.
tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by tuzzi44 »

When we drafted them, I thought it was cool to have a set of identical twins, but never throught they would become the dominant players they are now. I was excited about the idea of the bond that twins have was setting up for some incredible chemistry, which proved to be true. And i always thought it would be an interesting story line if one got traded for some reason and not the other, considering they have been playing together since they were young.
But They have certainly developed into very skillful players in their own right, and the opposing defense have no choice but to take notice of them when they are on the ice. and now that the clutch-grab aspect of the game has been removed from the game, the Sedins still have room to get better! 8-)
BELIEVE.

"we did a fucking great job"
Jonathan Toews
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Island Nucklehead wrote:I like the bargaining chips as well. Being brothers, I can seriously see them taking a much lower individual salary to stay together...something of a package.
I was thinking about this the other day. Consider if the team didn't make the deals to pick 2-3. They would have gone to separate teams, and who know how they would have ended up. I would think that they appreciate the rare opportunity that they have been given, and should realize that it would be quite difficult to trade them as a package.

I wouldn't mind seeing them signed to long term deals at all. :D :D
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by tuzzi44 »

Cornuck wrote: I wouldn't mind seeing them signed to long term deals at all. :D :D
Perhaps DN should take a page out of Garth Snow's long term deals book 8-)
BELIEVE.

"we did a fucking great job"
Jonathan Toews
LuongoIsNirvana
AHL Prospect

Post by LuongoIsNirvana »

I always believed that they could be solid 2nd line players - I wasn't sure whether or not they'd be better than that.
SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

The somewhat typical Swedish 4 year learning curve. You youngsters should always listen to your elders. We've seen it before. Just like I was saying it 5 years ago.
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)
sk8er
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by sk8er »

I know it is easy to say it now, but I never thought it was a good idea to consider trading them. I always felt that it would take them longer to get accustomed to the North American game. I don't know if I thought they would be dominant players but I always thought they would be better than people were saying, calling them the sisters and shit like that.....