Tyler Bouck contracts a viral infection

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Tyler Bouck contracts a viral infection

Post by mattola »

http://www2.sportsnet.ca/blogs/hockey_h ... equipment/

Bouck, who has been beset by injuries during his professional career, suffered what could have been a life threatening illness after contracting a viral infection, writes the Vancouver Province. The bacteria, which was lingering in his hockey glove, entered his body through a cut on his finger.

"Being stubborn, I thought it was the pain from the shoulder (injury) and I didn't want to be a wimp," Bouck told the Province. "[I thought I'd] just kind of deal with it.

"My wife was pretty upset because her mom is a nurse and knew how serious the virus was.

"When the doctor finally came in and told me you can die from it -- or at least be pretty messed up by it -- it really hit home. [The virus] attacks your heart and weakens your valves and can really do some damage."

Bouck had to spend six days in the hospital to fight the virus and is still hooked up to an IV, where he receives antibiotics four times a day.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Interesting and disturbing stuff, i never heard of anybody who is cleaning his gloves, i don't do it also, i just let them dry and air them completely.

Is everybody now potencially endangered ? I guess it has also something to do with the personal immune system.

Anyways, get well soon, hopefully he gets 100% healthy and can play again.
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'