Kesler or Chubarov

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Fred
CC Legend

Kesler or Chubarov

Post by Fred »

So which is it, both play the same role. Maybe it's better to bring back Chub and tarde the extra asset we have.

I guess a lot depends on if Keslers agent can agree on a long term deal at about half of what he's making now
cheers
Reverend Smack
CC Veteran

Post by Reverend Smack »

What is it with Nucks fans always wanting to get rid of young players??? Get a grip on the Kesler thing; yes he is over paid this year. Why, because Clark took Nonis to school, lesson learned. Vancouver is a rebuilding team, although their current 5 game streak would suggest otherwise, and rebuilding teams do not unload young players. If you are so eager to trade away assets then unload the slumping/hurt Naslund or Morrison.
Personally I think you should leave the roster alone. If a decent deal comes along that will make the team better and or younger then pull the trigger. We are finally seeing a team transition to its new coaches game plan, and an elite goalie living up to his billing. :mex:
The truth may hurt...but it is still the Truth...Have a nice day :)
Entwonder
CC Veteran

Post by Entwonder »

Your question implies that the Canucks can just decide to have Chubarov or not. He doesn't sound all that interested in playing for Van. At least, Nonis could not get him to play here even at Kesler's salary. Is he that much better?
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I agree to keep the young players. If we are on course to make the playoffs (as projected in Tom's blog), then we shouldn't mess with the formula too much. By the deadline, we'll know where we're heading, and who won't be along for the ride.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Canucks if anything have a shortage of good or decent young players ... we should definitely be keeping them ...

... also agree with Rev Smack ... if we have to get rid of players then we should be looking at getting rid of some of the higher priced older players. Whether we can however is another question in itself ... we've had that discussion I think on other threads.

Grizz
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Entwonder wrote:Your question implies that the Canucks can just decide to have Chubarov or not. He doesn't sound all that interested in playing for Van. At least, Nonis could not get him to play here even at Kesler's salary. Is he that much better?
That's not exactly true, they couldn't come to terms, but when Chub left he left his car here expecting to return if you recall. I don't thim we can carry both and as it is now we have one asset not being used and one asset over paid
cheers
westvandal
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by westvandal »

We would have to pay Chjubarov something like 3 million per to get him out of Russia, so....moot point.

I agree with Smack whole-heartedly. (that sounds funny) Kesler is not underachieving, he is overpaid...i'm sure next year we'll get him for 1.3 over 3, and he will be worth every penny.

In a pre-cap world, having both sure would be awesome......especially in Vigneaults system.
capt canuck
AHL Prospect

Post by capt canuck »

don't see why people think this team is rebuilding. we are the new jersey of the west. soild defence ,stellar between the pipes and one line upfront. as long as they can score on the chances they do get they can win alot of games. new jersey has been doing it ever since they got brodeur. and won cups.
WE ARE ALL CANUCKS!
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

westvandal wrote:We would have to pay Chjubarov something like 3 million per to get him out of Russia, so....moot point.

I agree with Smack whole-heartedly. (that sounds funny) Kesler is not underachieving, he is overpaid...i'm sure next year we'll get him for 1.3 over 3, and he will be worth every penny.

In a pre-cap world, having both sure would be awesome......especially in Vigneaults system.
Wells thats more than the Sedin were paid at the same stage and frankly I see no comparison. Chubarov want a million a year and DN turned him down, where ever you got the US$3 / season from I don't know
cheers
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

capt canuck wrote:don't see why people think this team is rebuilding. we are the new jersey of the west. soild defence ,stellar between the pipes and one line upfront. as long as they can score on the chances they do get they can win alot of games. new jersey has been doing it ever since they got brodeur. and won cups.
Lets say then that they have re-focused their game plan ... the last few years they have predominantly been a run and gun type offensive team worrying little about defence ... this year they are a whole lot more responsible defensively and they need to have the defence their backbone if they are to succeed ... as well .... because we arguably (?) have no offensive superstars in the lineup, all 4 lines must chip in one way or another for the team to be sucessful long term.

Grizz
westvandal
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by westvandal »

Fred wrote:
westvandal wrote:We would have to pay Chjubarov something like 3 million per to get him out of Russia, so....moot point.

Wells thats more than the Sedin were paid at the same stage and frankly I see no comparison. Chubarov want a million a year and DN turned him down, where ever you got the US$3 / season from I don't know

The one million per year was before last season, and I agree with you in your implying that Nonis made a mistake. However, he signed a 1.8 contract in Russia tax free...what I meant with the 3 million number was that it would take likely that much to get him here as he would have to take a pay-cut otherwise.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

US$3.0 is basically what the Sedins make now on a three contract, no way would Chubarov be asking for that much and frankly I never heard he was making that much in Russia either although I understand it is tax free what ever the salary. If Kesler is thought to be making to much at US$1.8 then Chubarov won't be signed for the same ie the same mistake. But is he a better player than Kesler if Chubarov is assumed won't come down from his current salary what ever it is why do we assume that kesler will come down ??
cheers
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

If I was a player who had to choose between the NHL or the Russian league I'd take a paycut to be in the best league in the world (especially in this new cap system). He'd still be making boatloads over here.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
kingofrockstars
MVP
MVP

Post by kingofrockstars »

If he would come back, we should take him and keep Kesler as well. There has to be room on the roster for someone as talented as Chubby. I would much rather Chubby than Chouinard.
The police never think it's as funny as you do
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

That's a good comparison when I think about it Chubarov or Chouinard. However there are so many players with slaries like that you can keep. With a Naslund and Luongo costing US$12+ it limites what's left in the kitty
cheers