Kesler or Chubarov

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

True but if there was 1.2 for Chouinard and what 500k+ for Santala (or was it 750k?)....then surely there could have been an offer to Chubarov for 1.7-2mill per. I'm about quality over quantity......and then Rypien could have filled the Santala spot for the league minimum.

Imagine
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

I am just not sure that Chubs is worth 2 million......
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Madcombinepilot wrote:I am just not sure that Chubs is worth 2 million......
he if we take Chubs at the same price as Kesler and then have a chance to trade Kesler for another players or high draft pick we're still ahead. Right now we have a servicable player in the wrong league. Between Chub and Koltsov we have guys that can play not in the line up. and getting no return. Or lets just trade them for what we can
cheers
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Madcombinepilot wrote:I am just not sure that Chubs is worth 2 million......
Maybe, maybe not.....compared to Chouinard+Santala at around 2 mill.....or Kesler at 1.9 I think he is worth it.....plus sometimes you have to give to get and he's making a solid living in Russia right now and is heading into the prime of his career. Chubs is rock solid defensively and would be great on our 3rd line imo. The Santala factor is a thorn in our side right now. There's no point in having a guy on the roster who never plays, he should be sent to the Moose to at least play and give us some cap relief for the trade deadline.
SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

kingofrockstars wrote:If he would come back, we should take him and keep Kesler as well. There has to be room on the roster for someone as talented as Chubby. I would much rather Chubby than Chouinard.
That's the question that should have started this thread. Certainly not Chubs/Kes. Why would you give up the potential offensive upside Chubarov has none of?

But Clam understands: Chubs is crazy. I guess being Russian makes it okay, but no way in hell would I play there, even if the alternative meant being a healthy scratch night after night in the NHL.

Certainly not what Ovechkin or Malkin wanted. So why does Chubs? He hates Nonis?
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Chubs was given a better offer to play in Russian than he was in the NHL. Like every other athele he took the money/ As to living there, it's his home, friends, family, and some pretty good looking girls,. all speak his language and enjoy the same life style, why not. It's not Churchill MB.

My problem is we have assets belonging to the club which are not being unilized. As to Keslers scoring potential it isn't going to happen. Plus Chub scored 12 goals his last season a stats Kesler will have trouble competing with. Chubarov is just turned 27 and entering his prime.

We have wasted assets at this time and you don't succeed in any sport doing that
cheers
Larionov
CC Veteran

Post by Larionov »

There seem to be two different kinds of Russians -- those who love North America and adapt to living here pretty quickly, and those who get terribly homesick in a hurry. Alex Mogilny was the former -- you couldn't get him back to Russia now for any amount of cash. Chubarov, apparently, was always homesick, and as a result jumped at that contract offer. I sincerely doubt you will ever see him back in the NHL again.

Besides, I just don't understand all the fuss over him. It has to be the fact that he spurned us, making him even more attractive, kind of like that girl in your home room class who fascinated you largely because she wouldn't give you the time of day. Later on, you figure out that she really wasn't that hot anyway. He's a fourth line checking centre, gang. They aren't exactly that tough to find. He was a particularly good one, granted, but still, these are the kinds of role players your scouting staff has to be able to find, and your farm system has to be able to develop. If this was a potential 40 goal guy wasting away in the Russian Super League, then sure, I could understand why everyone was getting so excited, but the fact that a stone handed fourth line checker decided to play back home isn't going to make or break this franchise.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Disagree on one of your points, Chubs could easily improve our 3rd line.....even so, if he was only the 4th line he'd still be a HUGE improvement over Chouinard & Santala. It would give us better options imo, I'm not saying we're missing an offensive dynamo. I think we all know who we're talking about..
Larionov
CC Veteran

Post by Larionov »

I'll accept that Chubarov could improve our third or fourth line depth and skill, but that's not where our problem is. Our problem is with the fact that our $5.5 million a year captain hadn't scored in 16 games until last night. Further, this this team has zero secondary scoring, a huge concern going into any playoff series. The Sedins are going to get checked into the ice in a playoff series, and we have absolutely no one who frightens anyone in the least on the second line. That's the issue, and Artem Chubarov does nothing to address it. He doesn't even help as trade bait, as no one trades guys who can score unless they are dumping salary, i.e. the Coyotes dumping Comrie.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Interesting point you bring up about the Playoffs Larionov...team toughness.

If this team makes the playoffs this season, they won't go far. Their team make-up is still suited for a regular season. Come playoff time, we will be outsized, out hit and our meagre scoring will dry up again. Come playoffs we will desperately miss Todd Bertuzzi's one thunderous hit per series. We look very similar to previous Northwest teams in style, strong tending, team defence etc. However where we differ is size and grit, the Oil and Flames had it...we don't. I don't like Alex Burrows chances of surviving a 7 game series playing his style. I would be VERY open to acquiring more Jeff Cowanesque players at the deadline...if only for their ability to smash the shit out of everything that moves, or at least show some willingness to muck it up and not play chicken-shit hockey.

I agree, adding Cubarov doesn't give us any really vast noticable improvement over Kesler...at least nothing concrete... Much like the backup goaltender situation, our money is best spent on other, more pressing aspects of our game...ie another big body that isn't Taylor Pyatt, Chouinard, Linden etc.