What the hell is wrong with Markus?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

F15 Driver
MVP
MVP

What the hell is wrong with Markus?

Post by F15 Driver »

Is it an injury?
Troubles at home?
Some kind of internal illness?
He missed picking up the puck during the shoot out tonight, I mean it looks like he's sleep walking out there sometimes...
F-15E Strike Eagle - Cadillac of the Skies!
westvandal
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by westvandal »

Yeah the SO thing was weird, I give the guy the benefit of the doubt until that happens...

Man, we would be that much more dangerous if he was going.
E1-E4 = I made it up.
E5 = Found it on tsn.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

No doubt it's a shoulder or arm problem. Just look at the shots he's taking. He's using the slapshot. The only other time he did that was when his elbow was screwed. For the bulk of the year his wrist shot has no zip on it. That was his bread and butter and right now it doesn't exist. On games where his shoulder feels good he can get a good shot away but these last 15 or so he has been forced to be exclusively a set up man and that is not his strength.
F15 Driver
MVP
MVP

Post by F15 Driver »

No doubt it's a shoulder or arm problem
If thats the case, I wonder if its time for AV to sit him, not as any kind of punishment, but as a way to help his body (or mind) heal.
Its killing me to watch him like that.
F-15E Strike Eagle - Cadillac of the Skies!
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

If thats the case, I wonder if its time for AV to sit him, not as any kind of punishment, but as a way to help his body (or mind) heal.
Its killing me to watch him like that
Amen to that. A couple days off would do him wonders. With Trevor skating like he is 25 again, and SugarTits stepping up lately, there would be no on ice leadership void to fill if Marcus need the rest for a few days....

Right now, we need a healthy Naslund more than a whacked up one....
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

He must be hurt, but man, his shootout attempt last night was bad. No effort. Even if it's his arm/shoulder that is hurt, his legs are still good. He skated in half assed, almost Jason Allison-esque. If he's hurt, he should sit. If he's just playing like crap, I say it's time to part ways.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

There's no way he's that bad. It's time for him to stuff the pride and realize he's doing the team more harm than good. I would rather suffer through a losing streak, and get him back healthy and strong, than go the entire season watching him try to be a poor mans Henrik Sedin.

What worries me is that he may require surgery, the kind of surgery that puts a player out for the season...if that's the case, a little more thought needs to be put into it. But if we lose him to the IR, that's a shitpile of cap money we could desperately use to get a Doan/Nagy type player to rent.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Maybe that shootout attempt will be a wakeup call to him and AV. If he's injured, deal with it. If he's lost his spirit, deal with it. Something needs to change for who was once the top scorer in the league.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
marcofro
AHL Prospect

Post by marcofro »

I thought I heard that his shoulder has popped out 3 times in the last 2 months.
JCardinal
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by JCardinal »

Cornuck wrote:Maybe that shootout attempt will be a wakeup call to him and AV. If he's injured, deal with it. If he's lost his spirit, deal with it. Something needs to change for who was once the top scorer in the league.
I think that's exactly the reason he was put first on the list for the shootout. I think it was intended to be a big wakeup call.
19_7_44
AHL Prospect

Post by 19_7_44 »

We've all seen naslund play some darn good hockey over the years in vancouver and this looks like a much bigger problem than your average scoring slump. it does look like hes thrown in the towel for whatever reason and lost his passion for the game of hockey. I mean missing the puck on a shootout attempt!!! I've never seen that in any level of hockey much less the proffesional level with a guy making six million a year. He can thank his lucky stars guys like morrison, linden are stepping up and the canucks are winning because if they werent this town would be crucifying him.
Triplets
AHL Prospect

Post by Triplets »

Have always been a big Naslund fan. He's earned our loyalty with all he has given us. I sill believe in him, and think he will turn it around

However,

If he is injured, he should sit out for the following reasons.
1. Let the injury heal or get the surgery now if he needs it
2. Hopefully allows him to return healthy for the playoffs. How big can that be?
3. If he is out more than 10 games with an injury, it gives us cap space as his salary comes off the books. that no small amount when you have a 6 million contract. This could allow a significant player to be brought in, and possibly push us to a significant playoff run.

Also,
I am a Physician, and dread making the following observation since I have never talked to him or examined him, but what the heck.

Maybe he has clinical depression. This is a very serious illness that can affect your energy, and concentration. it can have a very significant effect on your ability to do your job. When I have heard him in interviews, he seems very melancholic. It appears by his facial expressions also that he is sad. This is a medical condition that can be treated. If he has this, could he be resisting the diagnosis because of the negative image this condition has in general, but especially in men and athletes.

Then again, this is all speculation, and only his physician knows the truth :?
Canada is a country whose main exports are hockey players and cold fronts. Our main imports are baseball players and acid rain.
Pierre Trudeau - Prime Minister of Canada 1968-1979
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Triplets wrote:Maybe he has clinical depression. This is a very serious illness that can affect your energy, and concentration. it can have a very significant effect on your ability to do your job. When I have heard him in interviews, he seems very melancholic. It appears by his facial expressions also that he is sad. This is a medical condition that can be treated. If he has this, could he be resisting the diagnosis because of the negative image this condition has in general, but especially in men and athletes.

Then again, this is all speculation, and only his physician knows the truth :?
You know....all this talk about his elbow, shoulder, arms etc make sense for his sadsack wristshot.....but nothing except this or the Bertuzzi thing explains his skating. His effort is SHIT right now and you can just see it in his face letalone his new gliding/coasting skating technique....you might be right Triplets because his 'try' just isn't there anymore, he's now officially a floater. Markus always did take things extremely hard (anyone remember the "choked" speech?). ....i find it hard to believe he has injuries affecting BOTH his shot & his skating because he just isn't getting into the scoring areas anymore....it really seems like something is wrong upstairs.
whistler
CC Veteran

Post by whistler »

In its heyday, the old WCE line's breakout technique was more like a neutral zone regroup.
They relied on their defence to knock someone down, steal the puck and feed a pass to the red line.

This year every forward on the team is expected to come deep and help defensively.

I think Naslund has made a great effort of buying in to the new style but it might be frustrating for a pure, offensive player, to burn himself out on defensive hockey shift in and shift out.

No one has more heart than Linden but you can see the jump in his game once he was moved to a more offensive role from the past few years as a grinder.

Most of the other forwards on the team are either well suited to the new style or young enough to buy into it heart and soul. The Sedins don't count since, as puck posession experts, they are in a class of their own.

If it's physical, he should sit and heal.
He's shown the way already and has performed well as a two-way forward, leading the team into its new role. He's earned a break.

If it's mental, and he just can't live with his new role, trade him to Florida for Auld and Allen and use the extra cap room to buy back Carter and some other finisher.

...but whatever the cause and whatever the solution, he has already earned our loyalty and appreciation........and several million dollars to boot.

That should be enough.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

I mean missing the puck on a shootout attempt!!!
Nazzy was questioned in an interview after the game about that and his answer seemed very strange, not what he said but how he said it. Kind of embarrased and confused by himself, i get the feeling he don't know by himself what's wrong and is very sad about it.
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'