NHL finally comments on the Rory votings

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

NHL finally comments on the Rory votings

Post by Jelly »

http://www.nhl.com/features/headtohead/h2h_rory.html

interesting that they throw out two goons to write up on both sides of the story, has anyone EVER heard of those two people?

not really a good read, but very interesting, as the all-star game approches, expect to see more from the NHL, heck, we might see Bettman confronting Rory to ask him to not attend.

if Bettman can call Messier the greatest leader of all time, he can do anything. except antyhing that's right.
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

I can't think of reason why you would not vote for him...they will make a movie one day about this...RORY! RORY! RORY! RORY!
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

I get the feeling the NHL wouldn't mind Rory Fitzpatrick going to the allstar game. Its something unique for Hockey, it's something people would bother tuning in to see. Everyone seems to think Bettman will be a real spoilsport on this one, but somehow I doubt he will. This is 100% free good publicity for the NHL. Why wouldn't they want him there?

Obviously people will say it disrespects the Allstar game itself, and is an insult to actual players who deserve it a lot more then Rory does, but noone actually considers allstar games in any sport as a challenge to recognize players with standout seasons, but as popularity contests.

If Rory Fitzpatrick goes to the allstar game, it will spark debate, something that will have even casual or borderline fans talking around the proverbial water cooler leading up to and after the actual event. Suddenly people will care about hockey. Sure it won't be because the league has suddenly become fascinating to the average american sports fan, but you have to start somewhere. So why not send an unskilled, basically talentless borderline NHLer to go play with a bunch of league superstars? There really is no harm in it. No way the NHL blocks this, it has far too many potential downsides compared to the single upside of protecting the already tarnished reputation of a forgotten league.
theinsainianone
AHL Prospect

Post by theinsainianone »

fitzpatrick better acceot to play in the game. if he doesnt i just lost like a whole day of my life cause all i did one day was keep on voting for him!!
:D
"...number 16...KEVIN LINDEN!!"
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

From the article:
the fan voting that determines the five skaters and goalie that start in the game.

The rest of the team is selected by GMs and coaches around the league, so I can assure you, he would not be taking someone's spot that's more "deserving,"
There's no reason not to have him voted in and play.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

It has every making of a great story that we will all remeber & actually feel we were a part of...do you remember who you voted for 2 years ago...oh ya there was a lock out...but anywhoo...you get what I mean...it would be great to see him there...could you imagine Fitzpatrick or Cornuck or Levelheaded or theinsainianone
or Soapy standing in the tunnel while they announce the ALLSTARS & then they announce your name! We put him there..very cool...I'm going to vote for him before I hit the hay.....
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

I always thought that the NHL allstar game was supposed to have been a venue to "promote" the best players and the game itself ... it may actually at one point have been that way however now the game itself is far and away from what a real NHL game is and it really does not depict what a true game is like (for the most part).

So if the NHL wants to go down that road and promote the allstar game for the fans, so its all about the fans, then the Rory vote is all part of it and it should stand. They shouldn't turn around now and pull a card saying that they want to showcase the game and "hook" new fans therefore because Rory has zero points his vote is a joke. They made their made and now they have to sleep in it.

The reality is ... if the NHL actually wants to promote the NHL and the way it "really" is played then having a guy like Rory play (and more players like him) at the allstar game is actually more realistic of what a NHL game is.

Who is foolin' who here ... why do you think the fans are voting for Rory ... they also know its a joke and not a real depiction of the game of hockey. I say "touche" to the NHL.

Grizz
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

This really is a good opprotunity for the league to open a new venue with the average part time fan. If marketed correctly on the 'anyone can go -congrats to him' line, the league could get the average part timer talking about something other good in the league as opposed to everything bad. A lot of the part time fans only opinon of hockey is 'the incedent'. If I was the league, I would spend a stupid amount of money on the average guy campaign (assuming Rory gets in) so that peoples latest memory of hockey is Rory as opposed to Todd.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Tukaram
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Tukaram »

I haven't watched the all-star game in years, but I will if RF makes it. :mrgreen:
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Made some great dangles tonight...also missed the puck quite a few times.

I hope he makes it, and goes, just for a laugh...hockey players know a good joke.
tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by tuzzi44 »

well i think alot of nhl fans, as Tukaram already sort of mentioned, dont pay alot of attention to the all star game and the activites. But this whole Rory thing has really given some extra publicity to the game and i think the extra attention is gonna draw more people to watch it... especially if he makes it.

i think if Rory gets voted in... and its lookin like hes gonna be.... and he decides not to go, hes going to be disrespecting alot of fans
BELIEVE.

"we did a fucking great job"
Jonathan Toews