Questionable Call-ups...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

We've already got players here like Bouck and we all know what Goren brings to the table...very little
Goren was a Joffray/Moran in the AHL, high scorer and had good size and throw them to ( which Moran does not by the way) I think the plan is to groom those that ahve a chance and the speed to compete in the NHL. Kesler scored in the AHL to, but right now the only NHL type gift he has is speed and maybe a poor middleweight. I would think Hasen will stand a chance next season and very likely Edler and who knows Koltsov may make his appearance at some time. They can all skate at an NHL level, Schneider is a junior this year so he has one more season with BC. Bourdon I hope can earn a spot rather than the Moose, but in all honesty I'm having my doubts ( watching the WJC close to see how many times he gets beat to the outside)

Mason Raymond (Minn-Dul) still has a further 2 years, as has Grabner. Let be honest Joffray and Moran are fillers for this year who maybe end up in Europe next season (there's a limit on olde players in the AHL)
cheers
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Well Jaffray is only 25, hardly old in the AHL....

last year he had 12 goals in 73 games

so far this year he has 17 goals in only 32 games

I'd say that improvement is worth a look-see
40 goal scorers don't grow on trees in the AHL, I'm impressed.

Listen people, I'm not saying this guy is going to replace Bertuzzi.....but really, Bouck? Goren? If I was Nonis I'd be thinking really hard about putting his name to a contract. Wouldn't it be nice to get the odd goal from the 4th line maybe?
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

He started in the ECHL & scored well...actually he's scored well at every level...he's moved around alot though...can he skate? Anyone have a scouting report on him?
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Icebreaka
CC Veteran

Post by Icebreaka »

I think we can all agree Clam that hey its not going to hurt. Why bring up Goren again when he's had plenty of chances to impress at the NHL level and never has. Bring up Moran for a few games when you have an injury and at least he'd have a chance to impress.

But signing Joffrey seems to me to make sense as well. What's the deal if we don't sign him? He's open to offers from any team?
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Hey thats all I'm saying. Our cupboard is pretty bare due to trading away alot of 2nd round picks and some questionable drafting....its even more bare when you're looking for offensive potential. We really need to find prospect diamonds in the rough through free agency and you never know who could be a late bloomer. It doesn't always pan out but if you don't get a few Steve Kariyas & Fedor Fedorovs then you'll never get Rypiens or Burrows. When you consider the goal totals of our support guys its even more crucial we get some help for the long run of the season. The goal scoring is pretty bleak so far:

Bulis 6
Hank 4
Kesler 4
Linden 2
Cooke 1
Green 1
Chouinard 1
Burrows 0
Santala 0