Is this the real Willy Mitchell

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Fred
CC Legend

Is this the real Willy Mitchell

Post by Fred »

The Willy Mitchell I recall was an in your face (particularly Berts) defenseman irriatating and tough to play against. I see more of the position style "D man " style today. Is that an illusion I had, or does he seem to have changed ?
cheers
trevor corey
MVP
MVP

Post by trevor corey »

I think with the change in rules Willie has had to adjust so as to not draw penalties. I think he is a smart solid d-man, worth every penny.
"put some Preperation H on the guy and he'd disappear"
Brian Burke
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

trevor corey wrote:I think with the change in rules Willie has had to adjust so as to not draw penalties. I think he is a smart solid d-man, worth every penny.
Yup
Bartman
MVP
MVP

Post by Bartman »

Linden Is God wrote:
trevor corey wrote:I think with the change in rules Willie has had to adjust so as to not draw penalties. I think he is a smart solid d-man, worth every penny.
Yup
I hear your Yup and raise you a Heck Ya! Best signing of the off season for DN.
R.I.P. Luc.
Rising Sun Canuck
CC Rookie

Post by Rising Sun Canuck »

With Mitchell he's kind of flown under the radar a bit due to his injury, but I love his steadying influence out there. He's a solid d-man and I'm itchin to see him in action during the playoffs!

I still think the Canucks are better then their record indicates, especially with the huge turnover from last year.

Hopefully- the guys are starting the gel and that they get on a roll...
westvandal
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by westvandal »

MItchell was my second star tonight, behind Matt Cooke and just ahead of Luongo.

He played Iginla hard!
E1-E4 = I made it up.
E5 = Found it on tsn.
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

westvandal wrote:MItchell was my second star tonight, behind Matt Cooke and just ahead of Luongo.

He played Iginla hard!
Ohlund, Bieska and Mitchell controlled Iggy, Tanguay and Langkow for most of the game. It was fun to watch. I really didn't think there would be any way to stop them. Mitchell was solid all game, and BXA (according to the radio) had 8 shots. It was nice to see our defensive style working while we are actually scoring goals. If we can keep this up we could go on a long run.
whistler
CC Veteran

Post by whistler »

Mitchell looks like he could pluck a mean banjo, but he sounded pretty smart in the post-game interview.

He said Iggy plays dominating hockey when he's riled up so a smart defenceman uses the first few shifts to suss him out.

"If he's having a quiet night it's best to just let him sleep through it." and concentrate on good positioning rather than 'in your face' defence.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

I think people have to remember that a good chunk of our memories of Mitchell were mainly formed from that playoff series. Players ramp up their intensity in the playoffs and playing 4+ games in a row against the same players also increases the animosity and intensity. To be honest Willie Mitchell can not play the way he did in the playoffs that year for 82 regular season games. He can't be that on edge all the time. He'll pick his spots through the season and when the playoffs roll around I think you'll that intensity (if the canucks make the dance).
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

I thought Mitchell played a great game last nite ... that more what I expect of him.

On another note I liked what I saw from Cooke last nite as well ... maybe guys are starting to figure things out and gain some confidence.

Grizz
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

tantalum wrote:I think people have to remember that a good chunk of our memories of Mitchell were mainly formed from that playoff series.
I agree... who had even heard of him before that? And while he was good, I also think his role in that series is a little overstated (and Jackman's in the STL series too). He did an admirable job, sure, but the Canucks pretty much imploded on their own.
westvandal
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by westvandal »

Man, on Bieksa....

We need an appreciation thread for him, definitely.
E1-E4 = I made it up.
E5 = Found it on tsn.
Icebreaka
CC Veteran

Post by Icebreaka »

Starting one =p
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

westvandal wrote:He played Iginla hard!
Yea have to say I was extremely impressed with that play on Iginla when he had the break - like a fox. Just enough stick to lift the glove to get Iggy off his shot but done extremely surreptitiously. May have prevented a goal and sneaky enough not to get a penalty. Great play.

If he can keep up his play and maybe get a few more of those stealth moves definitely will be worth the coin and maybe even more. Good signing.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by tuzzi44 »

Hes definetly changed his game alot since the playoffs. and i prefer him this way... everyone in here would be hatin on him for taking dumb penalties! hes still a very tough guy, but its the solid defense i appreciate from the guy. i wouldnt mind seeing him here long term, especially with all our young prospects and all... we need some vets out there to help them out
BELIEVE.

"we did a fucking great job"
Jonathan Toews