Nonis Over Paid

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

dal
AHL Prospect

Nonis Over Paid

Post by dal »

Dave Nonis went out this summer throwing out money like he ran the old Rangers team.
A few minor adjustments in salary would have saved the team tons in cap space.
Here are a few examples:

Luongo 6.75 mill Should have been 6.00 Mill ( he was ready to sign for less in Flordia so why did we overpay.

Sedin Twins 3.575 mill each. should have been 3.2 each ( yes they have played well but the Canucks were holding all the power in this so why overpay )

Mitchell 3.5 mill Should be 3.0 tops ( Mitchell is good but to pay him the same number as Ohlund, come on )

Kesler 1.9 Should be 1.0 mill ( Yes Nonis had no control over the 1.9, but he dragged the the whole summer with numbers like 700,000 when he knew Kesler was worth the 1 mill range)

Chouniard 1.1 Should be 850,000 ( you have H. Sedin , Morrison, and Kesler down the middle so why pay a guy on the 4th line 1.1 )

With these few changes the Canucks could have saved close to 3.1 million off the cap, which could have helped in bring some scoring in.

Yes it is Nonis's second year, but he has over spent and most important he has allowed the Canucks to become a boring team to watch and for that FIRE NONIS....
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

No arguements here.... other than bringing Luongo here and getting rid of Crawford, he hasn't done anything positive IMO
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Nanaimo_Nuck
CC Rookie

Post by Nanaimo_Nuck »

Wasn't the 94 Canucks a .500 team most of the season and 7th place in the standings....

one goal games in the playoffs with a good goalie is what makes u thru it

I agree on the overspending but not in firing Nonis. There are free agents like Jason Allison out there who can score. It's easy to free up space like sending players to Manitoba like Chouinard put him on waivers and BAM someones picked him up.

Remember Nonis made some deals last yr at the deadline and u know what they didnt work out but he assessed the team needs. And he will do the same this year... it takes time to assess what is needed.
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

I can not believe everyone wants to fire Nonis. It's easy to look back and say we should have paid this player this much, but it's not that easy. Luongo was ready to sign for less in Florida because he was offering his own discount to stay in Fla. As for mitchell, thats another price you pay to bring in a sought after FA in the summer. What would Ohlund have gotten offered had he been a UFA? Just look at Jovo... then you say:
Kesler 1.9 Should be 1.0 mill ( Yes Nonis had no control over the 1.9, but he dragged the the whole summer with numbers like 700,000 when he knew Kesler was worth the 1 mill range)
Ok, so you're razzing him for overpaying then giving him a hard time for trying to sign the guy to a mroe reasonable contract all summer? so he should have just shelled out the larger bucks right away? a bit contradictory there. Nobody saw the philly move comming, Kesler can't be blamed on DN.

Give him a chance, this whole sky is falling thing is ridiculous. All you know-it-alls who are jumping off the bandwagon now were singing a different tune a month or so ago... have some freakin' faith! The guy made a mistake with Bulis and Santala sure, but again, do you blame DN or the rest of our scouting staff??

Either get off the bandwagon or put up and shut up. A real fan stays true to the team through good times and bad, and we're only at the freakin quarter pole!! I have faith in DN, he's made the deals when he had to. last year's deals looked great at the time, had we won another game or two and made the playoffs they would have made all the difference in the world. going in with Auld/Oulette vs Noranen/Auld? having a largely moose-based D vs. having Carney, Brwon and Weinrich? all upgrades at the time. sure it didn't work out, but blame the core of the team and the coaching staff rather then the GM, he made the moves he could to give his team a chance. I'm sure DN would have had another player or deal in the works this summer before the seasons started had the whole Kesler thing not happened, he'd said many times he still had money to spend before that all happened.

everyone needs to take a chill pill, smoke a doob and just chill the fuck out!
Harold
CC Veteran

Post by Harold »

Mitchell actually took less to play in Vancouver, i.e. other teams offered him more than $3.5. There is no way he would have come here for $3M.
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Nobody saw the philly move comming, Kesler can't be blamed on DN.
No we didn't ... it was a very shrewd move by Clarke ... however ... DN was a little slow on signing him and in the game of business things move quickly and you have to learn to expect the unexpected ... so chalk it up as a lesson well learned by DN ... thats all you can do about it now.

My thoughts .... as per my other posts ... I would say that DN is young and inexperienced and that he is going through a learning curve ... I agree with badfish and don't think he should be fired ... but on the other hand I also understand and realize that it is going to be a tough next couple of years for even the die hard fan unless DN steals a deal or some of our younger players bust through with huge seasons.

Grizz
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Nonis Over Paid

Post by Larry Goodenough »

[quote="dal"]Dave Nonis went out this summer throwing out money like he ran the old Rangers team.
A few minor adjustments in salary would have saved the team tons in cap space.
Here are a few examples:

Luongo 6.75 mill Should have been 6.00 Mill ( he was ready to sign for less in Flordia so why did we overpay.

Sedin Twins 3.575 mill each. should have been 3.2 each ( yes they have played well but the Canucks were holding all the power in this so why overpay )

Mitchell 3.5 mill Should be 3.0 tops ( Mitchell is good but to pay him the same number as Ohlund, come on )

Chouniard 1.1 Should be 850,000 ( you have H. Sedin , Morrison, and Kesler down the middle so why pay a guy on the 4th line 1.1 )

With these few changes the Canucks could have saved close to 3.1 million off the cap, which could have helped in bring some scoring in.

Yes it is Nonis's second year, but he has over spent and most important he has allowed the Canucks to become a boring team to watch and for that FIRE NONIS....[/quote

First - if you post that you want someone fired, offer a replacement suggestion. Who's to say anyone else doesn't make even bigger mistakes? If we went through all other 29 GMs decisions this summer, we could point to mistakes they all made in spending money.

Second - your "exciting teams" from the past few seasons accomplished absolutely nothing.

Nonis paid Luongo and the Sedins a little more to get them to sign longer deals. The cap should go up in each of the next few years, so, to me these were good signings.

How do you know Mitchell doesn't stay with Dallas if Nonis doesn't offer him 3.5?

Most people think he handled Kesler the right way and I concur. If Clarke doesn't offer the contract and Nonis gives him 1 million, then you'd be on here chirping that he should have grinded him up to training camp to get him to sign for 0.800

Unfortunately for reactionaries like you, GMs have to not only look at this year, but longer term down the road. That's what Nonis was doing with the first 5 players you noted.

Questioning the signings after that is valid. Chouinard is clearly a mistake only compounded by the fact he's under contract next year too. Bulis is debatable. I would question the one way/two way contracts decisions for Santala, Burrows, King as well.

But again, this team is doing better that the one that finished last year and can play better.
tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by tuzzi44 »

I dont think we overpayed the Sedins. those boys are going to (hopefully) be franchise players, so he we try and low ball them now when they become UFA's they may want to go elsewhere. then we would really be screwed.

And i think it was very important to give Luongo the deal that he got. He needs to be here long term. Period.

And sure, there were some questionable signings in the off season, but with the amount of players we lost due to free agency etc. he really had no choice but to get out there and grab some players.

I dont know about one goal games are needed for the playoffs but a team certainly needs to get a hot goalie and ridem through the playoffs
BELIEVE.

"we did a fucking great job"
Jonathan Toews
Icebreaka
CC Veteran

Post by Icebreaka »

I'll take the bait here and agree with you that Nonis did waste a lot of money and its not so much this season but even going back to last season with overpaying Morrison and Cooke who we are still suffering on and giving CLoutier a raise when he was not deserving one. I think he is going to be a good GM but he needs to be a lot more thrifty with his spending. I can't think of anyone that he has managed to get so far that he "stole" for under market value. You could argue Pyatt but its not like he was highly sought after.

What cheeses me off is that we had to lose that whole season of hockey and at the end of the day players are still making the same coin. What was the point?
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Gotta aggree with Badfish on this one...way too many freak-outs happening. One winning streak and we're third in the West. Our division is weak this year, there's always a chance. Nonis has given AV all the pieces, and AV has made a team that competes most nights. Everyone needs to just chill out. The season's just getting started.
MeesterFeester
AHL Prospect

Post by MeesterFeester »

No I don't think Luongo , Kesler,Sedins are getting over paid, but there could be some controversy over Chouinard and Mitchell. Chouinard for one isn't good enough to be paid that much, what does he do anyways ? skate around the other teams players while they have puck, if you ask me thats sounds like somebody who's just trying to look busy. Mitchell on the other is a defensive defensemen so he's there to block pucks and get concussions, to me that sounds like a pretty hefty price to pay for that kind of player