We Need A Trade!!!

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

I can see a team like Washington wanting someone like Morrison to play with Semin...maybe we can get rid of him for a guy like Pettinger (900K) and a lower pick? Local boy, has been playing under a system like ours for a while, can capitalize on the chances we get...

Either way, some changes need to be made. I like the idea of shopping Salo, the guy is an asset, but he has to play. We can't afford bandaids.

Bulis
Chouinard
Santala
Burrows
Green
Linden (Can't trade him for sentimental reasons, but even if we wanted to...)
All have no talent and are pretty much guaranteed to get us nothing but similar plugs or 4th round-plus picks in return.

As lancer said...If we want anyone DECENT it's going to have to involve our prospects. I think we probably should look at dealing a goalie, if we're serious about Luongo we need to focus on the next 4-5 years. However, in order to get a decent guy, we'll have to lose the cap space, to me that equals Morrison and probably Cooke or Chouinard.
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

However, in order to get a decent guy, we'll have to lose the cap space, to me that equals Morrison and probably Cooke or Chouinard.
True ... but the problem comes back again ... we have guys that are way overpaid for what they are producing ... who would want them ?? We don't even have any room on our cap to eat some of the salary to make the deal work.

Grizz
westvandal
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by westvandal »

There is no trade happening until at or near the deadline....for any teams.

Its making me hate the cap, teams should have better options to help themselves during the season.
E1-E4 = I made it up.
E5 = Found it on tsn.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

and maybe that's the worse thing about the cap. Teams can only reach certain level. To be a truly dominating team, you now (obviously) have to draft not only well - but exceptionally well. Those teams will excel for maybe 1-2 years. Once they excel, then they have to dismantle because everyone wants a raise.

there will be a new powerhouse team every year. Personnel will change. Soon rivalries won't matter since the players are being swapped so much, and teams that once dominated here fail the next. Oh well - I hope Bettman's happy - the league and teams are getting more generic each year.

I think more and more fans are starting follow indivual players, more than certain teams like they did in past.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
JamesOwnzSam11
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by JamesOwnzSam11 »

"Linden (Can't trade him for sentimental reasons, but even if we wanted to...)"

Fuck that, everyone can be traded...don't give me BS on how someone is captain canuck.

This team is just pissing me off, there is NOTHING to look forward too.
"I think my biggest influence has been Messier."Watching him prepare for games and how seriously he still took everything at his age. A lot of the qualities that he had helped me get better."- Markus Naslund
westvandal
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by westvandal »

Another reason why I don't think a trad will happen anytime soon is that we are actually 4 points out of first.

I hope this illusion does not confuse Nonis... I 've noticed their play fall bahind considerably lately and it would not surprise me to see the Canucks 5-6 games below .500 by new year's.
E1-E4 = I made it up.
E5 = Found it on tsn.
westvandal
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by westvandal »

I like the Pettinger idea...

I wonder what it would take to get Kotalik?
E1-E4 = I made it up.
E5 = Found it on tsn.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

westvandal wrote:
I hope this illusion does not confuse Nonis... I 've noticed their play fall bahind considerably lately and it would not surprise me to see the Canucks 5-6 games below .500 by new year's.
I have to agree, looking at the Dec. sched. on this months wallpaper (4 games against Cal., 2 against the Wild and Edm. once more) I could see the Canucks easily 5 or 6 below .500,and the media and fans freaking out by months end.(imagine the anarchy if they lost to Calgary 4 times in a month)

But I also have to concur that there will probably be no trades til the deadline.

I'd still like Nonis to waive Bullis and Choinard and fire a scout or two on the same day.

desperate times call for desperate measures

Even though the Canucks arent that far behind in their division lets not fool ourselves,the division is weak this year and the Canucks have been sucking some serious wind for at least 10 games,

At the start of the season A.V.,D.N. were saying they'd evaluate things after 20 games, so I don't think waiting any longer for things to sort themselves out is an option.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

westvandal wrote:I like the Pettinger idea...

From what I've heard Kotalik can be had, but Buffalo wants a D. He may be a fit with the Sedins. His cap hit is 2.3 for the next 3 years as well.
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

Linden Is God wrote:

From what I've heard Kotalik can be had, but Buffalo wants a D.
Krajicek? Although with Salo out that's probably not a realistic option right now. They'd probably want Bieksa more, but I'm not willing to see him leave. He has incredible upside, and is arguably our 2nd best defender thusfar.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

levelheaded wrote:
Linden Is God wrote:

From what I've heard Kotalik can be had, but Buffalo wants a D.
Krajicek? Although with Salo out that's probably not a realistic option right now. They'd probably want Bieksa more, but I'm not willing to see him leave. He has incredible upside, and is arguably our 2nd best defender thusfar.[/quote

I would be open to Kotalik for Salo. I love Salo, but the way things are going, it would probably be in Nonis' best interest to move him now and get max value or sign him long term. But if he gets signed long term that means MO will probably have to go for cheap. I say Nonis trades all he can for 2nd rounders. He already has 3 or 4 f them, why not get the whole round.
westvandal
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by westvandal »

I feel Salo is worth more than Kotalik...

I don't think the Canucks can afford to trade a d-man...

Maybe Cooke and Morrison?

hahah just kidding..

hard to do anything isn't it?
E1-E4 = I made it up.
E5 = Found it on tsn.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

westvandal wrote:I feel Salo is worth more than Kotalik...

I don't think the Canucks can afford to trade a d-man...

Maybe Cooke and Morrison?

hahah just kidding..

hard to do anything isn't it?
Honestly I can't see Nonis doing anything, unless it involves moving one of the 2nd rounders and Salo. If he does move Cooke, Mo, Bulis, Chouinard, I think it would be for useless prospects or picks. Pretty sad.
Kel
MVP
MVP

Post by Kel »

dangler wrote: I'd still like Nonis to waive Bullis and Choinard and fire a scout or two on the same day.
That's probably not Nonis's decision. It's a budget issue, because it's one thing that an owner gives green light for the GM to spend to the cap, but it's a totally different thing that the GM buries his mistakes in the minor by waiving and sending down NHL players earning more than a million dollars each and then acquring replacements, effectively increasing the payroll by $2 million plus.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

The way it will have to go is as follows:

1) Nonis sets up a trade with someone. Most likely being our prospects/picks for their decent player. Deal is set, and waiting to go.

2) Nonis unloads the baggage on someone else. Morrison for a 3rd rounder, Cooke for another fiesty kid making less. Other option would be to send said players (or others) to the minors in the hopes they are claimed. If they go through, they stay for the season because I don't want to pay 1.5 million for nothing.

3) Nonis pulls the deal on option 1.

There's no way we get anything other than crap for the guys we have now, unless we're trading the Sedins, Luongo, Ohlund, hell even Naslund would be harder to move with his salary. If a trade is done, look for it to happen this way.