SECONDARY scoring is the LEAST of the Canucks' problems.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Antony wrote:God, what are you guys talking about. Defense? They got rid of their scorers, didn't replace them and the predictable has happened. And you talk about defense? One decent scorer makes a line many times better than the sum of its parts.

How would you like to skate out onto the ice knowing that you'll be lucky to score a goal or two? The whole game is about trying not to make mistakes. There is no creativity in that, no imagination, no fun, just fear.

This was true at the beginning of the summer, in the middle of the summer, when they dropped the first puck and it's true now. A team that can't score doesn't win, you can take that baby to the bank.

To me, Kesler personifies the problem of the entire team: way over-paid for what he does and he can't do more than he's doing. They're all like that, everyone of them, the entire team. Not enough goal scorers. Sad but true; true in the summer and true now.
I'm not saying that secondary scoring isn't a problem. What I am saying however, is that secondary scoring is the LEAST of our problems (ok....now obviously that isn't true, but the subject heading caught your attention didn't it? :P ).

I still contend that depth on defense and backup goaltending are bigger issues for this team.

Think about it.

When the Canucks have had their top 3 defensemen in the line-up (and with Luongo in net), the Canucks have won a large majority of their games (despite their difficulties in scoring).

Sure they've had a few stinkers (i.e. last game against the Avs) but for the most part, this team has been TOUGH to beat when they've had their top 3 d-men and Luongo.

On the other hand, the Canucks have been flat out DESTROYED whenever Sabourin has started, or whenever the Canucks have had key injuries on defense.

With that in mind, I believe that those two issues (defensive depth and back-up goaltending) are more important issues that need to be addressed. We NEED one or two more guys who are capable of playing top 4 D (if Mitchell, Salo, or Ohlund get injured). As great as Bieksa and Krajicek have looked this season, they clearly aren't ready to play more important roles yet.

Canucks are getting their scoring chances.

Although the Canucks aren't scoring much, they still have one of the highest shot totals in the NHL. Is it REALLY farfetched to assume that the Canucks will start scoring more goals?

Take a look at the Calgary Flames last season. These guys were one of the best teams in the league (and given the fact that they got off to such a bad start last season, they had to have had one of the best records in the NHL for atleast 65/70 games).

IMO - The Canucks could be similar to the Calgary Flames of last season......but we'd have atleast ONE line that can consistently score (something the Flames never had....which is what ultimately did them in).

As far as team toughness is concerned, I say we bring up Rypien and Bouck. Plain and simple.

-Trade some of our forwards for defensive depth/back-up goaltending.
-Bring up some of the young kids to play up front (who ADD something....like toughness for instance).
-Look to bring in either Allison or Bondra (who would ADD something to the PP).
-
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Antony wrote:God, what are you guys talking about. Defense? They got rid of their scorers, didn't replace them and the predictable has happened. And you talk about defense? One decent scorer makes a line many times better than the sum of its parts.

How would you like to skate out onto the ice knowing that you'll be lucky to score a goal or two? The whole game is about trying not to make mistakes. There is no creativity in that, no imagination, no fun, just fear.

This was true at the beginning of the summer, in the middle of the summer, when they dropped the first puck and it's true now. A team that can't score doesn't win, you can take that baby to the bank.

To me, Kesler personifies the problem of the entire team: way over-paid for what he does and he can't do more than he's doing. They're all like that, everyone of them, the entire team. Not enough goal scorers. Sad but true; true in the summer and true now.
I'm not saying that secondary scoring isn't a problem. What I am saying however, is that secondary scoring is the LEAST of our problems (ok....now obviously that isn't true, but the subject heading caught your attention didn't it? :P ).

I still contend that depth on defense and backup goaltending are bigger issues for this team.

Think about it.

When the Canucks have had their top 3 defensemen in the line-up (and with Luongo in net), the Canucks have won a large majority of their games (despite their difficulties in scoring).

Sure they've had a few stinkers (i.e. last game against the Avs) but for the most part, this team has been TOUGH to beat when they've had their top 3 d-men and Luongo.

On the other hand, the Canucks have been flat out DESTROYED whenever Sabourin has started, or whenever the Canucks have had key injuries on defense.

With that in mind, I believe that those two issues (defensive depth and back-up goaltending) are more important issues that need to be addressed. We NEED one or two more guys who are capable of playing top 4 D (if Mitchell, Salo, or Ohlund get injured). As great as Bieksa and Krajicek have looked this season, they clearly aren't ready to play more important roles yet.

Canucks are getting their scoring chances.

Although the Canucks aren't scoring much, they still have one of the highest shot totals in the NHL. Is it REALLY farfetched to assume that the Canucks will start scoring more goals?

Take a look at the Calgary Flames last season. These guys were one of the best teams in the league (and given the fact that they got off to such a bad start last season, they had to have had one of the best records in the NHL for atleast 65/70 games).

IMO - The Canucks could be similar to the Calgary Flames of last season......but we'd have atleast ONE line that can consistently score (something the Flames never had....which is what ultimately did them in).

As far as team toughness is concerned, I say we bring up Rypien and Bouck. Plain and simple.

-Trade some of our forwards for defensive depth/back-up goaltending.
-Bring up some of the young kids to play up front (who ADD something....like toughness for instance).
-Look to bring in either Allison or Bondra (who would ADD something to the PP).
-