Wings make threats ?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

orts wrote: adjective (or epithet
Damn, you learn something everyday. Hope I can be as good a teacher as Orts.
orts
CC Veteran

Post by orts »

Linden Is God wrote:
orts wrote: adjective (or epithet)
Damn, you learn something everyday. Hope I can be as good a teacher as Orts.
Well, it ain't exactly the same thing; but close enough in this case :)
randymeeks
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by randymeeks »

yawn :roll:
38 years without a Stanley Cup and counting.
dawgie
AHL Prospect

Post by dawgie »

Seems to me that the GMs are forgetting that it is a contact sport and that sometimes guys do get hurt....

http://www.tsn.ca/tsn_talent/columnists/bob_mckenzie/

Did Willie go for his head? I don't think so, as he didn't jump up or "Throw" his shoulder; his shoulder just happened to be at the same level as Frantzen's head.

Was it a late hit? Maybe, but I don't think so.... I think it was Pang that said Willie took himself way out of position to make the hit..well sometimes to make a big hit like that, you need to....Willie was already comitted to making the hit and couldn't back out...Not to maention that because the hit was made the threat of the rush was negated and he wasn't out of position....

The biggest issues with head injuries still seems to be that guys are not wearing their helmets correctly...I don't that is going to change, but I think 2 things the league could do to help cut down on head injuries are:

Mandatory mouth guards, and abolish all hard capped elbow and shoulder pads

If anything Frantzen should remember his fundamentals and not look back to admire his pass.

Jusy my 2 cents..... :mex:
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

dawgie wrote:Seems to me that the GMs are forgetting that it is a contact sport and that sometimes guys do get hurt....

http://www.tsn.ca/tsn_talent/columnists/bob_mckenzie/

Did Willie go for his head? I don't think so, as he didn't jump up or "Throw" his shoulder; his shoulder just happened to be at the same level as Frantzen's head.

Was it a late hit? Maybe, but I don't think so.... I think it was Pang that said Willie took himself way out of position to make the hit..well sometimes to make a big hit like that, you need to....Willie was already comitted to making the hit and couldn't back out...Not to maention that because the hit was made the threat of the rush was negated and he wasn't out of position....

The biggest issues with head injuries still seems to be that guys are not wearing their helmets correctly...I don't that is going to change, but I think 2 things the league could do to help cut down on head injuries are:

Mandatory mouth guards, and abolish all hard capped elbow and shoulder pads

If anything Frantzen should remember his fundamentals and not look back to admire his pass.

Jusy my 2 cents..... :mex:
Thanks for getting back on topic Dawgie !!

I agree with you it is a contact sport ... did Mitchell go for the head ??... I doubt it ... Did he go for a big hit ??... You bet ... nothing wrong with that.

When one player is trying to lay the hit and another guy is doing his best to get out of the way ... and its all at top speed ... sometimes there can be some awkwardness to it and guys end up getting hit in positions that result in injury. Whether Willie's hit was intentional ... well ... ask Willie ... anything else is entirely speculation. IMO anyways.

Grizz
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

Rule #1 Keep your head up
Rule #2 Keep your stick on the ice
Rule #3 Don't admire your passes..especially drop passes
Rule #4 Always finish your check
That said there is also the unwritten rule about hitting players when the are in a vulnerable position eg: from behind

I think this falls into the 1/3 rule #1, #3 & #4
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Nobody complained when Stevens destroyed Lindros or Kariya with hits to the face. Why start now? I understand that if it's your player gettin tagged, be it Franzen or Naslund, people from that organization are going to piss and moan, get over it. The day they start taking these kind of hits out of the NHL is the day I'll stop watching and stick to Junior.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

I have to wonder if this was Phaneuf pounding a guy as opposed to a Canuck, would there be a public outcry for vengence?
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
supercanuck
CC Veteran

Post by supercanuck »

Personally I think the league should penalize headshots. However, since they haven't penalized any of the incidents this season they can't suspend Mitchell either unles they change the rules or make him an example.

I think the circumstances are a lot like Regehr's hit on Downey...a bit late and a dangerous hit. (Actually I think Regehr was charging too.)

I agree with what Bobby Orr had to say earlier. Players need to show more respect for each other AND it's the way they hit too. (Can't explain it as elegantly as Bobby so read the post a while back on what he had to say.)
randymeeks
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by randymeeks »

I vote yes to a penalty for a blow to the head.... how many careers are going to end before they start giving out penalties for them.
38 years without a Stanley Cup and counting.
ververgaert
MVP
MVP

Post by ververgaert »

personally I think that players should learn to play with their heads up. I also think that shoulder pads should not have hard plastic shells.
Don Cherry for Prime Minister
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

I don't think clean hits to the head can be eliminated, it happens, it's mostly accidental, and it's part of the game. But I do agree about banning hard-capped padding and requiring mouthguards, maybe even penalizing players who don't wear their chin straps properly.

I do think dirty hits to the head should be penalized, and what I mean by that is that in addition to the penalty players get for using an elbow or high stick, if it's an elbow or high stick to the head they should get a double-minor.
Mark