Wings make threats ?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Fred
CC Legend

Wings make threats ?

Post by Fred »

Man this sounds like the Bertuzzi siuation all over again

From Sportsnet/Cleary
"The only way to get back at him is to go and try and lay a hit on their good players, or Willie Mitchell," Cleary said. "It just seems that Willie never goes in a corner first."
what happenes if a Wing puts a dibilitating hit on say Naslund now ?
cheers
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

meh. it wasnt on purpose. late hit yes but its not like Mitchell raised his shoulder or lowered it for his head... but they can threaten all they want. NHL will call them to cool them down. clowns.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

what ever happened to 'we need to lay a hit or 6 on Mitchell for the hit on our guy!'....Instead of 'we need to hunt thier star players because they hit ours!'....

oh yeah....

the instigator rule.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Harold
CC Veteran

Post by Harold »

Ya, that is pretty tough of Dan Cleary to make those comments AFTER the game, when he had 45 minutes to get back at Mitchell or the Canucks and didn't do anything. :lol:
Mitchell lays out your player and his retribution is words in a newspaper. Ohhhhh, don't be so mean! :lol:
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Problem is statements such as those do they constitute a threat ie some one gets seiously injured in the next meeting on the Canucks was it premeditated
cheers
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

Fred wrote:Problem is statements such as those do they constitute a threat ie some one gets seiously injured in the next meeting on the Canucks was it premeditated
If I were Nonis, I'd make exactly that point, this way, when we play them next, due to Cleary's supidity, they'll be thinking twice about hitting any of our players because of how it can interpreted if something goes wrong.
Mark
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Wings make threats ?

Post by Linden Is God »

Fred wrote: what happenes if a Wing puts a dibilitating hit on say Naslund now ?
Unfortunately I see 1 of 2 things happening here.

1. If one of our stars gets hurt, the idiot fans will agree with what happens (depending on the severity) and say it's the right thing to do, seeing as the Canucks did it first.

Or....

2. Idiot fans will say the Canucks had it coming because of the Moore incident.

It's a lose, lose situation.
sk8er
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by sk8er »

I absolutely agree with MarkMM, Nonis needs to make the league aware of statements like that, also the Wings.
My god, he was not head hunting or anything like that. What about the hit Willie took a few weeks ago? that in my opinion was more questionable than Willies hit ever was. hit him from behind, into the boards? This is a speedy game after all, things happen in the blink of an eye.
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Whether or not the hit by Mitchell was good or bad ... the NHL should review it (if they feel they need to) separately from the Detroit comments and also deal with it separately. There hopefully should be no references or comparisons made to the hit on Naslund and the eventual outcome of that situation in determing any action taken against Willie.

However because the Bertuzzi situation was such a stain on the League ... I would imagine that Bettman or someone will be notified of these statements if in fact they are true (which at this point seems to appear they are).

The bottom line here for the NHL is that they will not be wanting to go through any kind of circus with that type of situation again ... I bettcha they will be heading this one off at the pass.

Grizz
ververgaert
MVP
MVP

Post by ververgaert »

Personaly I was glad to see Willie actually throw a hit and show a little bit of a mean streak but you can't be serious when you say he didn't raise his shoulder to make contact with Franzens head.

Come on lets not be Av's fans here! He went for the knock out ! It was painfully obvious! Thats okay because its not an officall N.H.L rule that you can't. I don't even think it was that late. No later than Stevens hit on Kariya anyhow. But it does violate the unwritten code that exists between the players and retribution is sure to be on its way! I hope Willie shows more balls than that faggot Moore and takes on ALL challenges in the next meeting so this can be put to rest once and for all.
Don Cherry for Prime Minister
orts
CC Veteran

Post by orts »

ververgaert wrote:I hope Willie shows more balls than that faggot Moore and takes on ALL challenges in the next meeting so this can be put to rest once and for all.
Verv, do me a favour and lay off that "faggot" name-calling shit. Yeah, it's offensive; yeah, there's no place for it here; but more to the point, it's inexact. There are plenty of faggots out there with more courage than Moore and you put together, and many, moreover, who could kick your ass. Surely you can come up with a more precise epithet.
ververgaert
MVP
MVP

Post by ververgaert »

Gee I'm sorry Orts . A little to close to home perhaps?

Whats an epithet? Am I a epithet? You best not be calling me a epithet! Why I otta!

Orts you have your little world and thats great but please don't try to drag me into it because I don't want to go. I find alot of the things you say sickning but I don't want you to stop. I just read it and roll my eyes. Whats wrong with you that you can't do that?
orts
CC Veteran

Post by orts »

ververgaert wrote:I just read it and roll my eyes. Whats wrong with you that you can't do that?
All I was pointing out is that your post didn't make any sense. Because being a faggot has nothing to do with lacking courage. In fact, it takes way more courage to be out of the closet in a world that still has homophobia in it than it does to be a dumb bigot in the anonymity of an internet forum who casually throws out words like "faggot" whenever he can't think of a more exact adjective (or epithet).

Be a little more creative; be a little more precise.
ververgaert
MVP
MVP

Post by ververgaert »

Hey Orts did you notice that I made a post about Willies hit or do you just come here to police the other posters with your ideas on how things should be in your idea of a perect world?

By the way thanks for clearing up that epithet thing for me. And I thought you were a crappy teacher! Some times I guess I can be wrong.

Anyhow Orts whats your opinion of Willies hit? Clean but late? Dirty?
orts
CC Veteran

Post by orts »

ververgaert wrote: Anyhow Orts whats your opinion of Willies hit? Clean but late? Dirty?
I haven't seen it; I tuned in to the Detroit game on TVU only for the last bit of the game (which was good hockey). The Detroit announcers groaned about it of course; but if even the NHL doesn't think it's worth disciplining, then the Detroit players ought to give it up. Certainly Cleary's talk is pretty stupid; we've heard this before.

And oddly enough, I agree with MCP about the instigator rule.