Before we all get too bummed out

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Icebreaka
CC Veteran

Before we all get too bummed out

Post by Icebreaka »

I thought it might be helpful to note that since we've had couple days off and the other teams in our division got caught up in games, we are only 4 points out of 1st in our division which would get us into the 3rd playoff berth. That's it. Just 4 points. The sky isn't falling. I semi decent streak where we win say 5 of 7 might change our fortunes heavily.

As of the end of playing Tuesday Nov 21

Edmonton 21 12 8 1 25
Minnesota 20 12 7 1 25
Vancouver 21 10 10 1 21
Colorado 21 9 10 2 20
Calgary 19 9 8 2 20
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

I wasn't bummed. I figured a rebuilding canuck team (and Nonis is rebuilding) would be around 0.500 battling tooth and claw all year to make the playoffs...as I thought Colorado and Edmonton would be.

If this team can find some secondary scoring they should be playoff bound (barring major injuries). You'd think that should come from Morrison, Cooke and bulis but that looks unlikely at this point.

Morrison had a 5 game stetch where he had 5 points and was +2. Outside of that brief glimmer of hope he has played 16 games, tallied 4 points, and is -9. A drop from a 65-70 point player to 30-40 point player...if it is ALL due to injury he shouldn't be in the lineup plain and simple. He should be on the IR as clearly he would be nowhere near where he should be. But i don't think it's the injury. I think it's Brendan Morrison the player. He just hasn't seemed to find where he fits in this new NHL.

Cooke hasn't even shown a glimmer of hope offensively for oh about a year now. His team low -7 is concerning (as is our #1 D-mans +/- of -6), in light of his lack of offensive contribution.

Bulis shows some flash but seems to lack the ability to finish any play (i.e. getting a shot or making a good pass).

It's been over 20 games. I think the secondary scoring has had ample time to start to come around. At this point there is littel evidence that it will come round and instead all we have is hope. And because all we have is hope I imagine Nonis is starting to heavily work the phones the past couple of weeks looking for a deal. Now if the scoring comes around before that deal(s) is made great but certainly Nonis has to be actively looking for a solution right now.

The team has a great goaltender and a blueline that is very good when everyone is healthy. The team is lacking in the bottom 9 forwards. Address that problem with preferably a couple of longer term solutions and the team looks pretty good IMO.

I'm certainly happy at this point to be at most 3 points out of a playoff spot (if Calgary wins both games in hand). As always it will come down to divisional records. The 1-5-1 record they currently have is not good enough. to do better Luongo has to bounce back to his first month form and the secondary scoring has to help out. Without a threat from anywhere else in the lineup the opposition can just key on the Sedins. I personally find it remarkable that the Sedins have managed to continue scoring at a good clip without any help through the rest of the lineup.

And to be perfectly honest I'm much happier watching a medicore team play hard pretty much every night then I was watching a talent laden team loaf around the ice for 82 games winning just because they had so much talent. You begint o understand how Flames fans could be excited by their boring team the last few years.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

or 2 points from the cellar. ;)

It's still way too close to call, and I think most of us were expecting the team to improve in the new year after a couple of months of gelling and learning the system.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Tant wrote:
If this team can find some secondary scoring they should be playoff bound (barring major injuries). You'd think that should come from Morrison, Cooke and bulis but that looks unlikely at this point.
Totally agree ... secondary scoring really seems to be the problem. If the Nucks are working hard defensively most games have been one goal games which means they should have a chance to win any game ... that extra goal or two from the second line becomes crucial. Also agreed that Morrison, Cooke, Bulis and even Kessler need to step things up.
Cooke hasn't even shown a glimmer of hope offensively for oh about a year now
Unfotunately you are right here too ... him and Kessler both ... $$ tied up with little in the way of production ... and I haven't even really noticed Cooke as an agitator much either.

I think if we can keep guys healthy we should be in the runnings for the playoffs this year ...

Grizz
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Speaking of bottom 9 guys, apparently Kevyn Adams is on the block, he wouldn't be a bad guy to pick up.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel: