Toronto Sun: "Naslund most overrated player"

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

yammi
CC Veteran

Toronto Sun: "Naslund most overrated player"

Post by yammi »

"Most overrated player in hockey? Try Markus Naslund of the Vancouver Canucks."

I disgree wholeheartedly with this quote near the end of the attached article, but it is interesting to see that Naslund's stock is falling among the media hacks that cover the eastern league (the same guys who rarely get a chance to see players in the western league) ... maybe Steve Simmons is really this JamesownzSam goof who has been polluting our site with his nonsense recently.

http://torontosun.com/Sports/Football/2 ... 2-sun.html
hairball
AHL Prospect

Post by hairball »

If the man doesn't step up and lead and score goals it will be all too true a statement before too much longer.
hockeyhockeyhockey
sic puppy
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by sic puppy »

Be interested to see what his reason was. Salary vs points? (the most obvious, I s'pose.)

If that is the case, can you say Fedorov or Forsberg or Elias?

I would like these kind of comments made by media types to include their reason for making statements.

Of course they are just "bites" with no substance. Typical.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

What a joke, I can't see the article, but I hope they mentioned their own Captain up there too.

Naslund: 20GP 9G 6A 15 Pts Healthy

Sundin: 17GP 8G 11A 17 Pts Injured

Past 5 Years Average:

Naslund: 79 GP 39G 47A 86 Pts.

Sundin: 75 GP 33G 42A 75 Pts.

Salary:
Naslund: 6 Million
Sundin: 7.6 Million

Just another reason why the Toronto media is so retarded.
Tukaram
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Tukaram »

People read the Toronto Sun for sensationalism and cheap laffs, not hard-hitting news.
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

There are those who have suggested that Naslund is on the decline this season; I happen to think that's all complete crap. I think he's been playing as well and generating almost as many scoring chances as he has in the past; but the biggest improvement I see is that the guy is now just as committed to defence. Kudos to him for being a savvy leader, having confidence in Viggy's system, and showing the young kids on the team what it takes to win. Lines like thos in the article simply prove that the hacks back east don't actually watch any Canuck games and only look at the stats page.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

the Cunning Linguist wrote:Lines like thos in the article simply prove that the hacks back east don't actually watch any Canuck games and only look at the stats page.
This brings a thought to my mind. You guys ever notice on TSN's ice chips that there's never any news on the Canucks? It just seems to me that the team doesn't get any coverage.
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

Why are you surprised by anything moronic that comes out of TO. They live in their own miserable little world in which they envy everything about BC. While they freeze, we golf. While they swelter in that cesspool of humididty, we soak up the rays and the cool ocean breezes. We enjoy the best that Canada has to offer and there is nothing about them that sparks anything but pity.So come on show some human compassion as it sucks to be them.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

[quote="HappyCanuck"]Why are you surprised by anything moronic that comes out of TO. They live in their own miserable little world in which they envy everything about BC. While they freeze, we golf. While they swelter in that cesspool of humididty, we soak up the rays and the cool ocean breezes. We enjoy the best that Canada has to offer and there is nothing about them that sparks anything but pity.So come on show some human compassion as it sucks to be them.[/quote]

Yeah ok dude. Toronto is an amazing city. Steve Simmons(who was born and raised in Calgary and hates the leaves) writes stuff about Naslund and you go off on the city.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

[quote="Island Nucklehead"]What a joke, I can't see the article, but I hope they mentioned their own Captain up there too.

Naslund: 20GP 9G 6A 15 Pts Healthy

Sundin: 17GP 8G 11A 17 Pts Injured

Past 5 Years Average:

Naslund: 79 GP 39G 47A 86 Pts.

Sundin: 75 GP 33G 42A 75 Pts.

Salary:
Naslund: 6 Million
Sundin: 7.6 Million

Just another reason why the Toronto media is so retarded.[/quote]

The difference is though, since 2000, Sundin leads the NHL in GWG. Last season, when Vancouver was fighting for a playoff spot, Naslund did nothing to lead them. Sundin took the team on his back and was the best player in hockey after the Olympic break, and the team won 9 out of their last 10.

Sundin is, and will always be remembered as a better player then Naslund.(500 goals, nearly 1200 points and counting on the career)
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Last season, when Vancouver was fighting for a playoff spot, Naslund did nothing to lead them. Sundin took the team on his back and was the best player in hockey after the Olympic break, and the team won 9 out of their last 10.
No pressure on him thats why... granted Toronto made a run at the end of the season but the team was so far out of a playoff berth, there was no way they were going to make it ... he could just go out and play and have fun. Happens alot at the end of the season when teams that are out of the playoffs all of a sudden start beating better teams and winning alot ... too little too late.

As far as Naslund leading the team last year into the playoffs (or not) ... He didn't you're right ... thats a fair comment ... and for sure we would liked to see him do more but I think there were a lot of problems on the Canucks off the ice that hampered things there ... it was never ever about not having the talent on the team.

Anyways ... Naslund and Sundin are both good players and I wouldn't take anything away from either of them.

Other considerations when comparing those two players are:
- the conference they play in ... different style of hockey
- linemates
- defensive responsibilities +/- etc.

Naslund I would say is more gifted from an offensive point of view than Sundin but Sundin may bring things to the game that Naslund doesn't.

Grizz
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

[quote="Grizzly"][quote]
Last season, when Vancouver was fighting for a playoff spot, Naslund did nothing to lead them. Sundin took the team on his back and was the best player in hockey after the Olympic break, and the team won 9 out of their last 10.
[/quote]

No pressure on him thats why... granted Toronto made a run at the end of the season but the team was so far out of a playoff berth, there was no way they were going to make it ... he could just go out and play and have fun. Happens alot at the end of the season when teams that are out of the playoffs all of a sudden start beating better teams and winning alot ... too little too late.

As far as Naslund leading the team last year into the playoffs (or not) ... He didn't you're right ... thats a fair comment ... and for sure we would liked to see him do more but I think there were a lot of problems on the Canucks off the ice that hampered things there ... it was never ever about not having the talent on the team.

Anyways ... Naslund and Sundin are both good players and I wouldn't take anything away from either of them.

Other considerations when comparing those two players are:
- the conference they play in ... different style of hockey
- linemates
- defensive responsibilities +/- etc.

Naslund I would say is more gifted from an offensive point of view than Sundin but Sundin may bring things to the game that Naslund doesn't.

Grizz[/quote]

The leaves only missed the playoffs by 3 points, so I wouldn't say they were never going to make it. It took the last two nights of the season for them to be eliminated. In the end, there was no difference between them and the Canucks.
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

The leaves only missed the playoffs by 3 points, so I wouldn't say they were never going to make it. It took the last two nights of the season for them to be eliminated. In the end, there was no difference between them and the Canucks.
Yeah .... but that is somewhat skewed .... for sure they played really well towards the end of the year ... but that just made it look close ... mathmatically i guess they had a chance but realistically it was pretty obvious that with a good month to go in the season they were a very long way off of making it ... their odds were slim at best.

Yes the end result was the same as the Nucks but they were at least in the running down to the last 3 or 4 games of the year. Bottom line for them was they just blew it and couldn't come through at crunch time.

Grizz
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

Does that one line in a TO rag even warrant discussion??
Pathetic post !
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Soapy wrote:Does that one line in a TO rag even warrant discussion??
Pathetic post !
Apparently ...

Grizz