Mark Messier Award

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

jchockey
MVP
MVP

Mark Messier Award

Post by jchockey »

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=184175&hubname=

Handpicked by Messier and goes to the player that best exemplifies leadership qualities on and off the ice.

A Messier award already and no Gretzky award? C'mon now...
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Don't we already have an award ?

Post by Soapy »

King Clancy Memorial Trophy

The King Clancy Memorial Trophy is an annual award given to the player who best exemplifies leadership qualities on and off the ice and has made a noteworthy humanitarian contribution in his community.
The Clancy Trophy was presented to the National Hockey League by the Board of Governors in 1988 to honor the late Frank "King" Clancy.
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Momesso
CC Veteran

Post by Momesso »

Sometimes I just wonder if the NY media just has too much pull.

No doubt, he was a great Captain. But after 1994, Messier's leadership was mostly hype. But what about all the other great leaders in the game?

Yzerman?
Bourque?
Sakic?

And all the other great leaders of yesteryear?
Eyes on the Prize
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Don't we already have an award ?

Post by Linden Is God »

Soapy wrote:King Clancy Memorial Trophy

The King Clancy Memorial Trophy is an annual award given to the player who best exemplifies leadership qualities on and off the ice and has made a noteworthy humanitarian contribution in his community.
The Clancy Trophy was presented to the National Hockey League by the Board of Governors in 1988 to honor the late Frank "King" Clancy.
I was thinking this was a great idea, not because I like Messier. Actually I hate him and wish he would just go away. But I like how the league is keeping their greats involved in the game. But after reading your post, this award makes no sense
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

Also there is this:
Messier, with input from the league, will select a player in each month who best exemplifies leadership qualities on and off the ice.
There will also be a leader of the year award given at the end of the regular season.

Messier is going to choose the player himself??? Exactly how is he going to do this?? Watching games on TV from the Messier compound?? Flying around the league to meet players & follow the "on & off ice contributions"??
Why does the league embarrass themselves with this crap?
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

This is just silly.

I hearby announce the JYRKI XXI AWARD, granted on the 14th of each month, to a player that I find deserving.

Criteria include:

1. How cool is his name?

2. Is he underappreciated?

3. Does he play for Colorado? (If so, he will not win).

4. Does he seem like a nice guy?

5. Total and utter caprice.

Everyone stay tuned! First winner gets named tomorrow!
JamesOwnzSam11
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by JamesOwnzSam11 »

Great, Yes... Awesome award thank you Captain.

also, it's been a hot topic of changing the awards names like hart to Gretzky, Veznia to Roy...Norris to Orr.
"I think my biggest influence has been Messier."Watching him prepare for games and how seriously he still took everything at his age. A lot of the qualities that he had helped me get better."- Markus Naslund
orts
CC Veteran

Post by orts »

JamesOwnzSam11 wrote: also, it's been a hot topic of changing the awards names like hart to Gretzky, Veznia to Roy...Norris to Orr.
And the Stanley Cup to the Keenan Award.

God help us.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

The day the NHL starts whoring out its history to that extent, is the day I stop watching.
It's was bad enough when the they changed the division and conference names.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
supercanuck
CC Veteran

Post by supercanuck »

That is the worst name for an award EVER. Even worse than the Lady Byng!!
westvandal
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by westvandal »

Isn't the Messier award a weekly honour?

Anyways, I hear they are coming up with an assist trophy named gretzky....I don't know where. I hurt today.
E1-E4 = I made it up.
E5 = Found it on tsn.
MacNews
CC Veteran

Post by MacNews »

Maybe he judges leadership qualities by whoever gets him a soda and bag of lays. :lol:
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

New NHL Mark Messier award winner to be given shaving cream, razor, and Lay's
Canadian Press Nov 13, 2006 8:45 EST
New York (CP) - Having just established a monthly award for Mark Messier, arguably one of the greatest captains in the history of the NHL, the league decided that players who have had the honour of winning this award cannot go home empty handed.

What makes Mark Messier such a great leader? "It was always the bald head," noted former Oiler Grant Fuhr, who is still battling drug problems. "Everytime he walks in [his head] was so shiny you can't help and look at it and try and fix your hair. It was that noticeable."

As an homage to such a distinct and great leader, award winners are given shaving cream and Schick Extreme razors, so as to have the same great, smooth-looking head a la Andre Agassi and Mark Messier, and are told to shave their heads. Such immediate action, sources are told, are bound to boost the player's leadership qualities by tenfold.

Honouring a previous contract with Lay's, winners of the Mark Messier award will also be given a large bag of Lay's chips. Unfortunately, flavours only come in Regular or BBQ. Limited to one bag per winner.

NHL.com is the official Web site of the National Hockey League. NHL, the NHL Shield, the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup, and NHL Conference logos are registered trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P. (c) 2006 NHL. All Rights Reserved.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

jchockey wrote:New NHL Mark Messier award winner to be given shaving cream, razor, and Lay's
Canadian Press Nov 13, 2006 8:45 EST
New York (CP) - Having just established a monthly award for Mark Messier, arguably one of the greatest captains in the history of the NHL, the league decided that players who have had the honour of winning this award cannot go home empty handed.

What makes Mark Messier such a great leader? "It was always the bald head," noted former Oiler Grant Fuhr, who is still battling drug problems. "Everytime he walks in [his head] was so shiny you can't help and look at it and try and fix your hair. It was that noticeable."

As an homage to such a distinct and great leader, award winners are given shaving cream and Schick Extreme razors, so as to have the same great, smooth-looking head a la Andre Agassi and Mark Messier, and are told to shave their heads. Such immediate action, sources are told, are bound to boost the player's leadership qualities by tenfold.

Honouring a previous contract with Lay's, winners of the Mark Messier award will also be given a large bag of Lay's chips. Unfortunately, flavours only come in Regular or BBQ. Limited to one bag per winner.

NHL.com is the official Web site of the National Hockey League. NHL, the NHL Shield, the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup, and NHL Conference logos are registered trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P. (c) 2006 NHL. All Rights Reserved.
What they don't get any Cold FX which he is now whoring out.
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

:lol: