Lets be honest kids, Luongo is not living up to the hype

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

[quote="
But it's not about the booming shot... it's about getting a quick shot on the net, force the goalie to make a save and then go for the rebound. We're not even doing that because the guys are too busy playing the cycling game. Vigneault has to get them back to basics (as was proven from having to teach them how to get the puck up and over stacked pads this week) and stop with this fancy-pants crap.

I _wish_ we had Rolston. At least then we'd have someone going to the net.[/quote]

Rebounds are fine and yes important. The fact is the Canucks are predicatable and any opposition coach rubs his hand when he's facing a known identity, they're not checking the puck carrier they're checking where the puck is going to because they understand the likelyhood of a shot coming from the puck carrier is maybe 5%. If you have a guy like Rolston as an example you can't defend against the tap in you have to defend against the tap in AND the shot.

We're predicatable, even the Sedins who I think are good are being defended one on one now and keep them to the outside, we'll take our chance from the outside is the oppositions manta
cheers
ververgaert
MVP
MVP

Post by ververgaert »

To b e honest Luongo is pretty much the only reason I'am watching this season. That and force of habit.

I knew he would be good but had no idea he would be this good. A poster earlier wrote that if we were still playing Auld or Cloutier alot of those great saves would be goals, thats putting it mildly! If we still had those two Cloutier would already be hurt and the only points this team would have is a 5-4 win over a shitty Blackhawks team.

The only reason this team didn't make the playoffs last year was goaltending! The only way in hell they have a chance this year is Roberto Luongo.
Don Cherry for Prime Minister
sic puppy
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by sic puppy »

Apologies to the title of this thread (hi-jack in progress), as some have pointed out, and I'm sure if we go back to other years, the goalie is part of the team. This is a team in transition. IMO it will take more than 20 games for this team to find itself.

Has Luongo under performed? Everyone has an opinion but I'm not sure enough time has gone by to make an informed decision.

At the start of the road trip the team surprised a few people and the new work ethic had most fans dreaming of the post season, if not the CUP. (based on some of the posts read here and elsewhre).

Now that the team is settling in, and more importantly, the opposition teams are settling in, the Nux are trying to find their new identity based on their new system.

While I agree the effort is there, results, especially from the supporting cast are not. Couple that with this recent rash of injuries to the defence, this team is "too fragile" IMO to rise above this early adversity.
Kowch wrote: As has been pointed out before, the problem with this team doesn't lay in goal. It simply has to do with the Canucks not getting the puck in the net.
Kowch wrote: The problem lies with players like Morrison, Cook, Bulis, Linden, Burrows, Kesler, Green and all the rest of the guys that have needed to step up and haven't. We can't count on the Sedin's, Pyatt and Naslund to get all the goals for us. The rest of the team has to contribute. .
Both good points. And with the (lack of ) experience on the blue line, the transition game is hampered because of this. Coupled with the inexperience of the call ups, is the unfamiliarity of playing with each other. Can you say chemistry?
Kowch
CC Veteran

Post by Kowch »

Fred wrote: Rebounds are fine and yes important. The fact is the Canucks are predicatable and any opposition coach rubs his hand when he's facing a known identity, they're not checking the puck carrier they're checking where the puck is going to because they understand the likelyhood of a shot coming from the puck carrier is maybe 5%. If you have a guy like Rolston as an example you can't defend against the tap in you have to defend against the tap in AND the shot.

We're predicatable, even the Sedins who I think are good are being defended one on one now and keep them to the outside, we'll take our chance from the outside is the oppositions manta
That's the point I was making orginally. Why chase the Sedin's/whoever else into the corner when you know what they're going to do when they finally want to take a shot?
ververgaert wrote: A poster earlier wrote that if we were still playing Auld or Cloutier alot of those great saves would be goals, thats putting it mildly!
That was me. :)

And it's true. It's funny how we've gone from "I wish Auld/Cloutier would stop the puck" to "I wish Luongo would steal every game". Amazing.
smalien wrote: Both good points. And with the (lack of ) experience on the blue line, the transition game is hampered because of this. Coupled with the inexperience of the call ups, is the unfamiliarity of playing with each other. Can you say chemistry?
I again think the guys on the blueline aren't that bad (well, once we get Mitchell and Salo back). Who would have though we would be without 2 or our top D-Men AGAIN? It's my belief that managment should concentrate on getting help up front rather than help on the blueline.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Kowch wrote:
I again think the guys on the blueline aren't that bad (well, once we get Mitchell and Salo back). Who would have though we would be without 2 or our top D-Men AGAIN? It's my belief that managment should concentrate on getting help up front rather than help on the blueline.
I think the same thing. Look the guys are hurting, once healthy things will be ok. I'd rather it happen now then at the end of the season.
Harold
CC Veteran

Post by Harold »

I swear this guy just starts these inflammatory type posts to get a reaction.
And why else would he have a picture of Messier holding the cup after the most heartbreaking moment in the history of this franchise? If you are a Messier fan, fine, then post a picture of him hoisting one of the four other cups he won.
Some people crave attention, I guess. Do we have an "ignore" function like most other message boards do?

Anyhow, without Luongo in net the Canucks would have a similar record to the Flyers this season instead of currently sitting second in their division.
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

I've just stopped listening to this guy. all his threads apear to be some crazy claim aimed to just imflame the rest of us.
I refer to a previous thread: JamesOwnsSam11 is a Troll
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Badfish wrote:I've just stopped listening to this guy. all his threads apear to be some crazy claim aimed to just imflame the rest of us.
I refer to a previous thread: JamesOwnsSam11 is a Troll
I give the kid credit though. What better way to say 'FUCK YOU' to a Canuck fan by having a pic of Messier for your sig? :lol:

The poster is definitely a troll, but we don't do ourselves justice by paying attention to him.
JamesOwnzSam11
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by JamesOwnzSam11 »

Harold wrote:I swear this guy just starts these inflammatory type posts to get a reaction.
And why else would he have a picture of Messier holding the cup after the most heartbreaking moment in the history of this franchise? If you are a Messier fan, fine, then post a picture of him hoisting one of the four other cups he won.
Some people crave attention, I guess. Do we have an "ignore" function like most other message boards do?

Anyhow, without Luongo in net the Canucks would have a similar record to the Flyers this season instead of currently sitting second in their division.
You mean the other 5 cups.

Messier won 6 Stanley Cups.
"I think my biggest influence has been Messier."Watching him prepare for games and how seriously he still took everything at his age. A lot of the qualities that he had helped me get better."- Markus Naslund
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Messier is a bitch...he piggie backed on the Oilers dynasty, riding the Gretz wave and the solid left overs afterwards, and only scored more than 40 goals once in his days as a Ranger (when it was still common to have 50+ scorers).

Hell, the guy didn't even score 30 the year they won it, might as well call him Brendan Morrison.

His one chance to carry a team (Vancouver) failed miserably. Greatest leader in hockey history my ass. I've seen anti-social spider monkeys with more leadership skills, and twice the girth.
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

stop feeding the troll, he's getting fat
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.
JamesOwnzSam11
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by JamesOwnzSam11 »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Messier is a bitch...he piggie backed on the Oilers dynasty, riding the Gretz wave and the solid left overs afterwards, and only scored more than 40 goals once in his days as a Ranger (when it was still common to have 50+ scorers).

Hell, the guy didn't even score 30 the year they won it, might as well call him Brendan Morrison.

His one chance to carry a team (Vancouver) failed miserably. Greatest leader in hockey history my ass. I've seen anti-social spider monkeys with more leadership skills, and twice the girth.
How many times did your boy Linden score over 40 goals?

Oh wait....
"I think my biggest influence has been Messier."Watching him prepare for games and how seriously he still took everything at his age. A lot of the qualities that he had helped me get better."- Markus Naslund
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

"My boy?"

Aiiight Dawg, lemme lay this one down for ya'll. Ya'll best not be hatin' on T-Linds cuz yous gets popped cummin' up in his 'hood spoutin' off like a biiiiatch.

Honestly, you're a joke.
19_7_44
AHL Prospect

Luongo

Post by 19_7_44 »

I still think we need to give Luongo some time to adjust to the new team, new conference before we start setting off any alarm bells.
However, it is quite startling that he hasn't provided the type of goaltending that was expected of him especially during this recent losing streak where he's been outplayed by the other goalies and not coming up with that big save the Canucks so desparately need this season. True the offence needs to get going and I believe they will once they start getting some bounces here but if the Canucks want to make the playoffs Luongo needs to be a whole lot better.
supercanuck
CC Veteran

Post by supercanuck »

JamesOwnzSam11 wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:Messier is a bitch...he piggie backed on the Oilers dynasty, riding the Gretz wave and the solid left overs afterwards, and only scored more than 40 goals once in his days as a Ranger (when it was still common to have 50+ scorers).

How many times did your boy Linden score over 40 goals?

Oh wait....
What does this thread have anything to do with Linden?