Any of you ever seen a game in MSG?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Any of you ever seen a game in MSG?

Post by Jyrki21 »

I just bought tickets for the Rangers/Sabres game on November 26 in MSG... I've seen an Islanders' home game, but never a Rangers' one... much as I prefer the Isles, this should be exciting.

If anyone here has ever seen a game there, I wanted to ask (1) will I feel like I'm a billion miles away, as I'm in the "cheap" (used very loosely) seats? I know MSG isn't very vertical. And (2) will I get my ass kicked if I cheer for the Sabres?
Larionov
CC Veteran

Post by Larionov »

I haven't been to a game there, but my father saw a Habs/Rangers playoff game there during the '86 playoffs. His observations:

It's an older building, a little bigger than old Maple Leaf Gardens or the Montreal Forum but similar in that it is a lot smaller than you expect. Therefore, your sight lines shouldn't be too bad.

And, take this for what it's worth, but my dad, a Canucks fan who had no stake in the outcome, said he cheered for the Rangers in that game 20 years ago. Why? "Because I feared for my life if I didn't", was his answer. He was only half joking...
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

Larionov wrote:And, take this for what it's worth, but my dad, a Canucks fan who had no stake in the outcome, said he cheered for the Rangers in that game 20 years ago. Why? "Because I feared for my life if I didn't", was his answer. He was only half joking...
:lol: But surely Ranger tickets have priced the rowdiest fans out of the market by now? Isn't it all latte-slurping Wall Street types?
JamesOwnzSam11
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by JamesOwnzSam11 »

THE RANGERS WIN THE CUP! THE RANGERS WN THE CUP!! THE RANGERS WIN THE CUP!!!
"I think my biggest influence has been Messier."Watching him prepare for games and how seriously he still took everything at his age. A lot of the qualities that he had helped me get better."- Markus Naslund
stevethiessen
MVP
MVP

Post by stevethiessen »

dude, you are sick. That's just plain mean.
meangradin
AHL Prospect

Post by meangradin »

I've never been to MSG, but my good buddy and his wife went to an Oilers v Rangers game. Apparently, she got shiiiiiiiiiiitfaced and started slagging Ranger fans, US hockey fans, and basically everything american. MY friend said he has never been more scared for his life. Oh, and she got in to a fist fight with a woman in the arena and layed a serious beating on the girl.

You knowwhat they say, "Canadian girls kick some ass"
meangradin
AHL Prospect

Post by meangradin »

I've never been to MSG, but my good buddy and his wife went to an Oilers v Rangers game. Apparently, she got shiiiiiiiiiiitfaced and started slagging Ranger fans, US hockey fans, and basically everything american. MY friend said he has never been more scared for his life. Oh, and she got in to a fist fight with a woman in the arena and layed a serious beating on the girl.

You knowwhat they say, "Canadian girls kick some ass"
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Never been to a game in MSG, but I did live about a 50 minute train ride from Grand Central Station for nearly 2 years. Basically, as a whole the people of New York are nice enough. A little abrupt at times but generally friendly. With the price of tickets etc. i wouldn't worry too much about Ranger fans giving you a hard time. UNles you act like an ass.

It's not as if you are a Mets fan going to Yankee stadium and even that's safe.
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

meangradin wrote:I've never been to MSG, but my good buddy and his wife went to an Oilers v Rangers game. Apparently, she got shiiiiiiiiiiitfaced and started slagging Ranger fans, US hockey fans, and basically everything american. MY friend said he has never been more scared for his life. Oh, and she got in to a fist fight with a woman in the arena and layed a serious beating on the girl.
Heh, well that won't be a concern: I'm American too. :P
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

I'm back from New York... if anyone is interested, here are my thoughts about the experience that I posted on Offthepost.net, with some pictures:

So I have now seen games in all three of New York State's lovely NHL arenas, so here is my game report:

1. I can't say much about the game itself. Because I was soaking in the atmosphere as much as the game, and I couldn't tell who any of the players were except for Jagr and Afinogenov. I couldn't even really spot Shanahan on the ice... and I only know like three current players on the Rangers anyway. I know more of the Sabres, but not their numbers. Plus I was explaining a lot of stuff to the girlfriend, which took my focus away from the game. ;) And I was in the bathroom for the Sabres' first goal.

2. One of the reasons for my inability to spot players is that Madison Square Garden is an old arena (duh). The lighting isn't what it is in the newer buildings, and the seating is much more horizontal (as it used to be everywhere), meaning I was pretty far from the ice.

3. But one of the coolest things I've ever seen is that concession stands and bathrooms are in the seating area! In some older arenas (e.g. Pacific Coliseum) you could still watch the game when you headed out for the concourse for either option, because there was no wall between the concourse and the seating. (In newer arenas, usually you can't see anything from the concourse). But in MSG, all you do is head up to the back row and there are the requisite facilities built right into the walls! That was awesome!

4. Ranger fans – come as advertised. There was no aggressiveness, actually (and there were quite a few Sabre fans, including a few from Fort Erie, ON that I was gabbing with). Certainly no violence... the most abrasive I saw anyone get was a guy who shouted on his way out, "Have fun shoveling all that snow tomorrow" to some Sabre fans. Genius, I know. But the boisterousness of the crowd is something else. Their willingness to join in on the "Let's go Rangers! [clap clap clap-clap-clap]!" or "Henrik! [clap clap] Henrik! [clap clap]" is impressive. In Vancouver, the fans tire of that stuff quickly. They just want to watch and scream on their own. Coordination takes time, effort and tradition, and they obviously have all three in Madison Square Garden.

5. That said, the "Potvin Sucks!" chants are kinda dumb. (I didn't realize they followed like a full 15 seconds of some dude whistling – it took me a moment to realize what was cueing the rowdies.) The reason they're dumb is that Denis Potvin and the Islanders walked all over the Rangers (and everyone else) for 4 straight Cups while the latter did dick all, to my knowledge. Just admit when you were overmatched... oh yeah, and it was 20 years ago. If fans from other NHL cities did that, they'd be called whiners. One guy even had a personalized modern Ranger jersey with "Potvin Sucks!" as the nameplate (somehow in 2 lines). Yeah, you showed him. Oh, and kid: you weren't born yet when Potvin was playing. I'll give them the "Beat your wife, Potvin, beat your wife! [clap clap]!" because that one was at least melodic.

6. Thumbs down to the Rangers for hockey etiquette... they took to the ice before the visiting Sabres, the PA man announced only the Ranger starting lineup without acknowledging the Sabres' starters, and they continually showed replays of penalties or non-calls (which I understand they're not supposed to do, or even not allowed to).

7. For you anthem fascists, you'll be displeased to know that there was a great deal of shoutage and noise during the anthem.

8. I saw something I haven't seen in a long time – a penalty called on a team down 5-on-3. I thought the refs were being nice to the Rangers through the first period, but then they really let them have it for the rest of the game. And that included a fair bit of 5-on-3 time (Buffalo couldn't capitalize), including the aforementioned additional penalty. Needless to say, the fans were unimpressed.

9. The game was pretty even... Buffalo looked more talented, but they definitely didn't dominate. Shots were about even (Buffalo got the only OT ones). I was looking forward to seeing a shootout. Last time the Little Québécoise and I attended a game together was in Buffalo (against Ottawa), and that one ended with Tomas Vanek winning it on the final shootout chance.

---

Anyway, here are some of my pictures from the game:

Heartbreak on the way into the arena:

Madison Square Garden:

The Sabres' warmup:

The Rangers' warmup:

Buffalo controls 5-on-3:
(Note the hot dog ad beneath the Sabres' bench... it actually says "Sabrett" but basically looks like it says "Sabres" in their colors)

Buffalo celebrates their second (I think) goal:

NYR skate off after celebrating their quick reply:

There were quite a few empty seats in the arena... holiday weekend, I suppose. (Give away your tickets, stupid businessmen!) This is just as the second intermission was finishing, but the crowd isn't a ton thinner than it was during the game:

Third period action:

And more:

And as a special bonus, I filmed a little bit:

Here's part of a Buffalo power play, which captures part of the essence of the crowd around me... I thought I stopped filming earlier than I did, so apologies for the crappy latter half when Adam Graves and Ron Duguay jumped up in front of me.

The scoreboard shows 'moments' and such during a stoppage in play.
SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

Never been to a game at MSG, but hope to go watch the Canucks there - maybe next season. My buddy goes to every game there & at the Meadowlands, but says it's impossible to make it out to the island, unless you don't have a job, or they play on weekends, which almost never happens.

As another twist on the topic:

Where have you seen the Canucks play?

I have seen them at:
Northlands (Edmonton)
Palladium (Corel Centre too!)
MLG
ACC
The new forum in Montreal
The old Forum in L.A. (scary!)
And of course at GM Place & the Coliseum.

Best place? Coliseum. Easily.

And I'll probably make a trip to Calgary this season if I can line up some tix.

If I won the lottery, I'd write Dave Nonis & ask if I could shadow the team for an entire season.
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I've seen the Canucks play in the old Fabulous Forum. Up in the nosebleeds, looking down at the clock. Almost started a gang fight buying scalper's tickets before the game!

Of course, a a good number of games at the Pacific Mausoleum.

Oh, and I saw them in Bakersfield, CA playing the Kings in an exhibition. Sat behind the Kings bench and heckled them all night ( almost got in a fight with the trainer). fun night.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."