FINALLY! No more birthing whale! POLL

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

On opening day of the 2007-2008 season, which uniforms will the Canucks be wearing?

Their current birthing whale
34%
The stick-in-the-rink retro jersey
38%
Another retro jersey
3%
An entirely new uniform
24%

Total votes: 29

nuxfanindallas
CC Veteran

FINALLY! No more birthing whale! POLL

Post by nuxfanindallas »

How long does everyone think it will take for the team to shed their mediocre attire in favor of the unanimously favored retro jerseys fulltime?

I think I recall someone saying something about it having to go through the league offices. Is there any precedent whereby a team has changed unis in the middle of a season?
gmisinthegarage
MVP
MVP

Post by gmisinthegarage »

Does that mean we would have to get rid of FIN to?
You cook so slow you don't use a egg timer you use an Egg calendar.
Oh ya that's right I went there
tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by tuzzi44 »

well i dont really think he whale jerseys or the retro jerseys are anything to get excited about for next season. this year, there were alot of teams changing up jerseys, and i think we should do the some... 8-)
BELIEVE.

"we did a fucking great job"
Jonathan Toews
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

I love the retro jerseys .... maybe it just brings back the feeling of excitement of hockey and the Canucks I had as a young kid.

Grizz
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

You have to get uniform changes approved well in advance.

But I will continue to air this beef until someone gives me an answer: why does everyone just assume that the Canucks' logo "is an ad for Orca Bay" (and that therefore Aquillini will do away with it)? Orca Bay effectively didn't sell any products other than the Canucks. What would they be advertising for? It was simply a parent corporation for the Canucks, Grizzlies and GM Place.

The reason why Orca Bay chose the whale logo for itself and the Canucks is because they thought a whale would sell well, as a cool regional animal. (And let's face it, if not for the Orca Bay association, people would probably love it). They did not put it on the Canucks jerseys as an ad for a meaningless corporation – that makes no business sense.

In this case, A does not cause B. A and B are both caused by C.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Right Jyrki, and i like the orca logo. That's my opinion. Tastes are different, i know. ;)
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

Cookie La Rue wrote:Right Jyrki, and i like the orca logo. That's my opinion. Tastes are different, i know. ;)
It'd be one thing if FedEx bought the team, changed its colors to purple and orange, and renamed it "The Express" (as was rumored with the Grizzlies). FedEx is trying to market a courier service, and this case would be a blatant example of using the team to advertise.

But Orca Bay was incorporated with the sole purpose of buying the Canucks, Grizzlies and GM Place. It did not exist as a corporation prior to this – and has no product outside of pro sports.

So to pretend that the Canucks got "a corporate logo" which is somehow different from a regular sports logo is just weird. Orca Bay was the Canucks and vice versa. It's nothing at all like the FedEx example above.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I don't mind the whale at all. Better than the skate going downhill.

They could dress in clown suits for all I care, as long they wear them while parading the Cup around the ice.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by tuzzi44 »

Cornuck has the right thinking... as long as theyre winning i could care less what they are wearing. I like all the jerseys that the Canucks have worn, but i dont like the idea of using the retros full time. the younger genarations (i guess that includes me) think they are too plain. i like flashy jerseys. I have fallen in love with the colors on the orca jerseys ever since i bought one... im thinkin stick to those colors and have a hybrid logo, perhaps somehow including a little piece of the previous logos
BELIEVE.

"we did a fucking great job"
Jonathan Toews
Mr. Bure #10
AHL Prospect

Post by Mr. Bure #10 »

Personally I like the Whale logo. It represents the west coast well and is done in an aboriginal representation. I just wish they stuck with the 1994 style jerseys with the black, red, yellow and white. That uniform style was awesome and combining that with the new whale logo would have looked good.

I like the retro stick jerseys as well. They look a hell of alot better than the current style. I have no idea why they used that navy, silver and maroon combo. I still can't get used to it and I wish they'd drop them.
Flames Hater
Tukaram
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Tukaram »

Combine them: keep the whale, but have it biting a hockey stick in half. 8-)
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Tukaram wrote:Combine them: keep the whale, but have it biting a hockey stick in half. 8-)
Kinda like San Jose???
sic puppy
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by sic puppy »

Apparently the sponsor (reebok) will be changing the jerseys League wide for next season.

Any changes to be made would most likely be made at that time to coincide with the "new look" NHL.
JamesOwnzSam11
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by JamesOwnzSam11 »

Keep the Whale or a whole new jersey...I'm leaning towards the Whale as we don't need a new logo every 10 years..

Never, EVER bring back that god awful Piece of shit stick in rink.
"I think my biggest influence has been Messier."Watching him prepare for games and how seriously he still took everything at his age. A lot of the qualities that he had helped me get better."- Markus Naslund
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Never, EVER bring back that god awful Piece of shit stick in rink.
Hmmmm ....

Grizz